Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: That's interesting. Do you know when it was produced?

1997, I recall. It was based on the M119 engine with 4 valves per cylinder. The E55 is an derivative of the engine in the E430 (E50 was derived from the E420 engine).<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E50

The E50 was produced from 1996-1998 and was only offered as a european model. The engine was the M119 dual overhead cam, 4 valve engine and produced 347 horsepower. Many feel the M119 engine was more stout than the E55's single overheard cam, 24 vavle engine. The rest of the car was nearly identical to the U.S. 1999 E55 (i.e. AMG brakes, interior, reworked 600sl transmission, etc.). The suspension used was the AMG euro suspension with the slightly lower springs that many of you have installed on your US models. I actually own a 1997 E60, which is an E50 taken to 6 litres - 400 HP, 430 ft/lbs torque. I bought it in Germany and had the DOT conversion here in the states. To the naked eye it looks like an E55, only faster.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: E50 (Mario Elie NBA Star!)

My first sight of an Mercedes E50 (1997) was when I worked at a local Porsche shop. We had a custom stereo shop next to our store (Momentum Porsche) that we did alot of business with (ie. alarms, stereo installs, phones, etc.) our customers Porsches. Anyway, we also washed and detailed cars for the stereo shop when they had a celebrity cleint in for a install. Well, Mr. Mario Elie (Houston Rocket at the time) left his 1997 E50 off for an alarm install. O MY GOD! That is what I first said when I saw the car! It was black on black, lowered (slammed) 2 or more inches, and was riding on gorgeous 18' 2-piece SL CHROME rims. I was drooling over this car and thought to myself that I would buy one of these car one day! And when I drove the car from the stereo shop to the Porsche store to get it detailed, WOOOWEEEE that sucker pushed you back in the seat like a 993 Twin Turbo and seemed to just as fast if not faster! If anyone out there knows where this car is or has an E50 for sale, I would be very interested in buying it. <br> Thanks,<br> Todd<br> (713) 723-0166<p>ppp-64-219-95-124.dialup.hstntx.swbell.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: E50 (Mario Elie NBA Star!)

Hey Todd ,<br> i have this car and i would like to sale it ...<br> but it has a high mailage ( 150 000 km) and it's in my country (UAE) so i have to ship it too <br>

·
Registered
2004 S55 AMG
4 Posts
What is the car's current value (Euro E50 AMG)?

I bought an AMG E50 when living in Bahrain, and was wondering 2 things:

1. What will the conversion cost if I bring it back from Bahrain to the USA?

2. What is the car worth (there were only approx 2800 produced)?

The car was an embassy car, imported from Japan and sold at auction in Dubai, then driven back to Bahrain where I bought it. It is very clean and in excellent condition. It has about 110k on it, but I replaced the engine due to a freak problem where the radiator blew and the original engine overheated beyond repair. The replacement engine only has 22k on it and is actually smoother than the original (purchased in Dubai as well).

I am trying to decide whether to bring the car back from Bahrain and convert it to USA standards, as the market in Bahrain is soft and I have moved back to the States. I would appreciate knowing, because of the limited production on the car, if it is worth importing and converting. Does the engine change affect the resale value?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

David Savopoulos
[email protected]

The E50 was produced from 1996-1998 and was only offered as a european model. The engine was the M119 dual overhead cam, 4 valve engine and produced 347 horsepower. Many feel the M119 engine was more stout than the E55's single overheard cam, 24 vavle engine. The rest of the car was nearly identical to the U.S. 1999 E55 (i.e. AMG brakes, interior, reworked 600sl transmission, etc.). The suspension used was the AMG euro suspension with the slightly lower springs that many of you have installed on your US models. I actually own a 1997 E60, which is an E50 taken to 6 litres - 400 HP, 430 ft/lbs torque. I bought it in Germany and had the DOT conversion here in the states. To the naked eye it looks like an E55, only faster.<p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts