Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1997 SL500 Sport pano
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when do cars transition from just being an old car to a classic or sought after model? Is it defined by years or by desires? My first car ever was a '68 Mustang I bought in '79 and it was a sought after "classic" in some folks minds...
My '97 Sport SL500 is the oldest car I've owned in terms of its age, but is it a classic yet? I hope it starts going up in value some day soon... Although she is priceless to me.

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,487 Posts

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
i would say a combination of things.

the older they get the more rare they get. that means to people who want them the demand is higher with increases the price. that is the beginning of becoming a classic.

then this is followed by how much it is sought after. the more rare the model the more it'll be worth because the more people who would want one. but you have to be careful with this because there is a point where cars become so priceless they are nearly impossible to sale making them pretty much worthless.

but i think the design of the car plays the BIGGEST role. if it is a great looking car it WILL be a classic when it is given enough time.

just like a good bottle of old wine! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,790 Posts
I think they will in 5-10 years as the ones on the road start breaking down and the dumb s*%t owners dump them to the scrap yards,also all the cool old muscle cars are taken and cost is crazy for them, so with all the cool stuff taken and harder to find, the r129's will be found and restored,anything that says Mercedes and is a convertible bad ass will increase in value and prices will go up in time. my old 1978 Chevy pick up I've had for 20 years now gets thumbs up and comments every time I take it out,that would never happen 10 years ago,but now you don't see them on the road anymore,so its a classic truck now and the selling price goes up $500 a year,the younger crowd calls them squares! big following in the mid west for the trucks
I like watching Chasing Classic cars ,and last time I watched guess what I saw in front of wayne's shop? a r129 parked there next to Ferrari and BMW etc. if that dude has one, its forward thinking.
this is his shop but another Benz is there,500E?

Attachments

·
Banned
1992 500SL, 2009 C300, 1998 Skyline GT
1,248 Posts
gotta collect them all :D im working on it. the more i buy the less cars are on the market. :D thats my logic lol.... i also would like to buy beat up ones for the right price to keep them from being scrap...
i think the r129 will be valuable because what i read about it being the spirit of the 300sl the first real performance minded sl since then...

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts
The market will decide when its a classic ,but they have started listing the early ones in classic car magazines over here,all drop top mercedes seem to have a cult following so theres a good chance for them and the number of years produced was less than the 107 ,when my grandchildren start driving they could be a classic car:) but for now I just like them :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
The market will decide when its a classic ,but they have started listing the early ones in classic car magazines over here,all drop top mercedes seem to have a cult following so theres a good chance for them and the number of years produced was less than the 107 ,when my grandchildren start driving they could be a classic car:) but for now I just like them :thumbsup:
It's interesting to note that the official MB 'Classic' magazine that I get sent occasionally has regular articles about the R129, and regards it as a 'young classic'. While this is nice in itself, the important point is that MB will then support parts supply for many years.

I have a theory about cars - a new 'car' is a collection of disassociated parts from the parts bins, if the guy had picked up another bonnet, hood or whatever, it would be a different car. However, I reckon once those 10,000 components have been flying in close formation for 20 or 25 years, it developes a soul, it becomes something unique in it's own right, something that deserves a little more love and affection than is really logical. It has, in short become a classic.

Regards
Steve

·
Premium Member
14 GLK 350, 11 E 350 Wagon, ML 320 BlueTec
808 Posts
I think they will in 5-10 years as the ones on the road start breaking down and the dumb s*%t owners dump them to the scrap yards,also all the cool old muscle cars are taken and cost is crazy for them, so with all the cool stuff taken and harder to find, the r129's will be found and restored,anything that says Mercedes and is a convertible bad ass will increase in value and prices will go up in time. my old 1978 Chevy pick up I've had for 20 years now gets thumbs up and comments every time I take it out,that would never happen 10 years ago,but now you don't see them on the road anymore,so its a classic truck now and the selling price goes up $500 a year,the younger crowd calls them squares! big following in the mid west for the trucks
I like watching Chasing Classic cars ,and last time I watched guess what I saw in front of wayne's shop? a r129 parked there next to Ferrari and BMW etc. if that dude has one, its forward thinking.
this is his shop but another Benz is there,500E?
I agree but production numbers and where the car fell in the history of the manufacturer's development have a lot to play. Case in point - you mention the 500e aka "the velvet hammer" now that is collectors item because of limited numbers made and cache it had at the time and moving forward.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It's interesting to note that the official MB 'Classic' magazine that I get sent occasionally has regular articles about the R129, and regards it as a 'young classic'. While this is nice in itself, the important point is that MB will then support parts supply for many years.

I have a theory about cars - a new 'car' is a collection of disassociated parts from the parts bins, if the guy had picked up another bonnet, hood or whatever, it would be a different car. However, I reckon once those 10,000 components have been flying in close formation for 20 or 25 years, it developes a soul, it becomes something unique in it's own right, something that deserves a little more love and affection than is really logical. It has, in short become a classic.

Regards
Steve
Good way to look at it ,the spares position is a good feature but if they supply everything I hope it won't become like the MGB where you can make one from the ground up and you only need a log book from an original,this has I think kept the prices low :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430, 2011 E350
5,059 Posts
The cynical side of me says they become a classic when buyers drive up the price. If they don't it is just an old car ;-)

But to the R129 I think it will appreciate - for those who have kept theirs up - look at the R107 - dirt cheap for a number of years and now good examples are going up.

I have always told people to just enjoy your car - if it appreciates then so much the better but don't buy a car thinking it is an investment.

There is the story of the guy who, when the 76 930 Turbo came out, bought 6 of them and put them in his warehouse.

Or the people that drove up prices of all Ferraris when Enzo died,

Or bought 76 El Dorado convertibles (billed as the "last convertible"

ask how they are doing ;-)

But if past trends are still in play surviving R129s should look pretty good in 10 years.

Got an admiring comment from a BMW guy at the Chevron station yesterday - they are good looking cars - much better IMO than the newer SLs.

My personal scale as far as looks - Original 300SL, W113 Pagoda and then the R129. Might even put the R129 even with the Pagoda.

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Good way to look at it ,the spares position is a good feature but if they supply everything I hope it won't become like the MGB where you can make one from the ground up and you only need a log book from an original,this has I think kept the prices low :thumbsup:
Hi Colin, now there's an interesting exercise. How much would it cost to make your own SL500 if you bought all the bits at list price from your local MB dealer? (Bearing in mind I was quoted £400 for a sun visor :)) C'mon guy's answers on a postcard please.........
I'll guess £250,000.
Regards
Steve

·
Banned
1992 500SL, 2009 C300, 1998 Skyline GT
1,248 Posts
I got a quote for 2 pages of wiring at the dealer 17k usd they said it was all the wiring for the whole car. I still don't believe it I'm sure they left things out. But 17k just for wiring... Front bumper costs 1200usd if I remember

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1997 SL500
287 Posts
Technically Speaking, According to the CCCA a car becomes a "classic" when it reaches 30 - 49 years old and an "antique" at 50-99 years old. With that said, Most US states consider any vehicle (which is not a reproduction) 20 years old or older a classic.
I feel fairly confident that the R129 will be a significant classic merely from the ageless desirability of the vehicle and the quality of MB. Although the Chrysler buyout may affect things a bit for the newer models.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi Colin, now there's an interesting exercise. How much would it cost to make your own SL500 if you bought all the bits at list price from your local MB dealer? (Bearing in mind I was quoted £400 for a sun visor :)) C'mon guy's answers on a postcard please.........
I'll guess £250,000.
Regards
Steve
Hi Steve I will see your £250,000 and raise it to £300,000:D regards Colin

·
Registered
1992 Sweet 500 SL
266 Posts
Classic?

Phil Here. My Sweet 500 Sl just became a "Classic" according to Nada Auto price guide. The SL just turned twenty years young and now is worth more than 1993,94,95 500 SLs. Well taken care of Autos will always bring top dollars.... My Sweet SL is not leaving my possession anytime soon........

It has been a love affair. :view my albums

1992 Sweet 500 SL Phil Justice

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.