Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 1998 C280 Sedan
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '95 E320 Wagon for three years now and it has honestly become the favorite car I've ever owned. I've fixed a lot of things (window regulator, SLS spheres, replaced missing ornament, new bumpers, etc.) and have loved working on this car (just about every single part has the part number stamped or molded into it)! After driving comfortably (often with 6 other people in the car with me) to every camping trip, football game, family gathering and concert I wanted to within 8 hours drive, the reverse is finally giving up at 203K miles. It's very slow to engage at times and quotes ranged from $800 (to fix the reverse only) to $4600 for a replace/rebuild at the stealership. I hate to let it go and might just drive it forward until something else very expensive goes, but what's your guy's thoughts? Sell it now and look for another or drive it into the ground then sell it for parts/scrap?

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Fix the reverse only for now.

Everyone's cash flow is different, I know, but if you have that much happiness with this car you would do best by fixing what you can afford at the moment.

Drive it into the ground is my philosophy on every vehicle I have owned, so that's my opinion. Plus you will have to spend more to get what you already have if you get rid if it as is, as not many people (this list excluded, of course) are going to want to put 4500 bucks into the car right after buying it.

I say keep it since you already have professed your love for it.;)

Best,
Bob

·
Registered
2012 Toyo Camry SE, 1987 420 SEL, 1982 300 CD (Gone but not forgotten)
230 Posts
How is the rest of the car?

What significant repairs have been done to the car? If you go to a good indie (see refferals on this website and other members in your area) you can get a rebuilt tranny $1500 - $2000 (thats west coast prices). The bottom line for a benz or a honda cars are mechanical things that have systems and parts that wear out. To go buy something new or certified you have car payments. getting something used for cash you are rolling the dice. If the wagon has had regular servicing and good maintnance all or alt least most of its life I'd put the money into the tranny and roll to 400 K miles. But thats just my .02
Whatever you decide the best to you.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
I like to change cars often out of curiosity of comparing them. Being satisfy with MB those stay in the family for long years, but since we do have few cars, something comes and go all the time.
That said high mileage W210 wagons sell for around $3000. I was planning to buy one last winter and found clean one at Salt Lake City at big dealership, but with the mess they had by the time one salesman answered my question, the other sold the wagon.
I still would not mind to buy cheap W210 wagon as a spare car. They hold very well and cost pennies to insure.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
If it shifts fine, just pull it, replace reverse bands/piston (AND RESEAL FRONT PUMP!!!!) and put it back in. Don't take it to some moron honda shop. Take it to a reputable European shop who has had experience with your transmission. If they can't tell you its a 722 transmission, walk away.

My opinion -- keep the car, you like it. Plus, wagons rule :thumbsup:

Even if you sell the car, you are gonna get dirt for it with the transmission going out. No more than $2k at BEST.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
The $800 reverse only fix bought me several years on a 124, sold it a year ago, and all is still fine with my friend driving it now.

If your car is up on most service, no replacement car is available, anywhere near as nice a car, for what it will cost to repair.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 1998 C280 Sedan
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I was concerned because my reputable indie said they could do the reverse fix for about $800, but there's no guarantee on the forward gears that way so I was worried about it. Starting to think I'm better off biting that bullet instead of finding a whole new replacement car. And like ps2cho sez, wagons do rule! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
The absolute minimum must involve resealing the front pump. Make sure its done with the reverse or you could start dumping trans fluid all over the driveway and have to pull it out again. The seals all fail, its just a matter of time. I'd guess you have ~3 more years then it'll fail and break off so do it now when you get it done.

If you CAN afford a full rebuild, do it. It should cost ~$2500 /w labor. I believe there is a good MB rebuilder on the east coast who could ship it to the shop and just have them install it. It's a safer choice than having someone who's not a pro at the 722's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts