Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this sounds like a really STUPID question and from those of you that know me here on the forum, Ive had a TON of those (stupid questions I mean) ok well here I go, I bought my ML like 2 months ago used of course, seems to be in pretty good condition, it had an oil change sticker in the top left of the drivers side window but its faded out, can not make out anything at all! So I sent my local dealer an email through there website to inquire about an oil change and he sent me back something talking about A service $275, and B service $475, he said that they didnt have just oil changes....... when I look to see how far I am from service I have 1 wrench and about 2000miles left before that, I may be stupid to think that I have another 2000 miles to go before an oil change, even after getting the car since the last unknown oil change, but Im not due in for service yet, what do I do??????

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like your dealer charges 275 for a oil change! If they won't change your oil without doing a service a or b then find someone else to do it. Better yet do it yourself, buy one of the many vac. type changers and do it in 20 minutes. I don't know if you have many tools but it doesn't matter it only take one to remove the filter. You can get one at any auto parts store. Then you can change it when you like, I change mine at about 5-6k it has 136,000 miles on it and never uses any between changes.

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,246 Posts
Service A on the side of oil/filter change does lot of checking. If you are not interested in your car technical condition, than take it to Jiffy Lube and have the oil changed.
Doing service at MB dealership is expensive, but brings not only quiet mind, but additional benefits as well.
We just got invitation for courtesy 27-points safety check. Not only they did the check for free, but offer shuttle, coffee and donuts.
Washed the cars and vacuumed inside.
Making the advised repairs with them is totally different story.
The 2000 miles showing to the next service could be due the fact that seller did oil change only without full service.
Unauthorized oil changers don't know how to reset Mercedes meter and put stickers on the windshield instead.
Since you have no record when and how the last service was done, I would do full service right now, or no later that the 2000 miles.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,432 Posts
I agree with Katjek1, at most good MB dealers you get more than just fresh oil for your $$.

My dealer serves up a free gourmet lunch and coffee while I wait for the service, plus they have an interactive workshop feature where you can visit, observe, and discuss your cars issues with the technician.

You get the free meal whether you bought your MB there or not. They also give me free loaner cars. I've driven around in brand new W203, W163 (after which I bought one), and W164 (didn't buy one).

Now I get all my services there. The parts guy gives me discounts because I'm a regular. They always vacuum and wash my ML before they return it.

Nuture a relationship with a good MB dealer, and you'll enjoy the experience. Do all your own maintenance and you'll miss out.

P.S. I always decline the advised repairs. Windshield wipers (AU$200!), new rotors ($2000), new front ball joints ($2000). Why would a car designed for off-road use need new ball joints after 4 years/40,000 miles? It had never been off-road.

BK, the answer to your question is take your car in for an A-service (one wrench) in 2000 miles. Stop checking the miles-to-go counter and enjoy worry-free driving in your new ML. When it's nearly due for service, the counter will appear automatically after start-up. When it gets down to 200 miles, call your MB service department and book the A-service.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are right, I just didnt want to waste money you know. If they only had an oil change feature I would get that done and then when its time for service I would get the service done. I just didnt know if I should oil change between services or if the FSS would let me know when to oil change or not! Is there anything against getting service 2000 miles ahead of schedule?

BK

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
2000MBML320 said:
You guys are right, I just didnt want to waste money you know. If they only had an oil change feature I would get that done and then when its time for service I would get the service done. I just didnt know if I should oil change between services or if the FSS would let me know when to oil change or not! Is there anything against getting service 2000 miles ahead of schedule?

BK
Why not just wait for 2000 miles which is really nothing and have the service done with the oil change. Be certain to use only the suggested Mobile 1 and at any cost avoid Jiffy Lube or such. The inspections are quite important as preventative maint. If you really want to be happy with your ML and want the reliability thats built in and do not want to walk home some dark cold rainy night do as MB suggests and follow their schedule. Services occurr only about every 10000 miles including oil change and its a small price to pay.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,548 Posts
Just to pitch in, all the responses are correct. Your dealer is just responding to your E-mail, and infact, in the ML world, there's nothing really like a traditional regular oil change. There's a A service and a B service - all explained in your owner's manual. The A service includes oil changes and other checks. The B service is the A service + more things. In normal driving, these services will pop up somewhere between 10 and 13K. The wrench will come on about 3K (I don't recall exactly) to service. 1 wrench = A svce, 2 Wrenches = B svce. The 1 wrench, 2K you're seeing means that you are due for A service in 2K miles. If I were you, I'd take the truck in now and have the service done, seeing that you got it used. They will change the oil and check/clear codes if any, and they'll tell you what the codes mean, if any were there. If there's a software upgrade, they'll do it also. After that, you can take the truck wherever you feel comfortable taking it to, or DIY the oil changes and other stuff and ask the shop to do only specific things.

BTW, you can have only the oil changes, just ask them to only do an oil change. If you're near 60K, have the tranny & xfer-case oil changed also. It's recommended by MB.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok Darkmann, thats where I wa sconfused I didnt know if service A or B were due at EVERY OIL CHANGE, since they said they didnt have just oil changes I thought Id have to go EVERY service intercval without getting one, which I thought was really dumb but didnt want to say it, I guess I said it anyway huh? So I can get the A service done now, then when is my regular oil change interval, will MB let me know when the next recommended oil change is? Im clearing it all up now, Ill go ahead and take it in soon, get the oil changed, the truck is at 79600 now and when I stop it seems like it takes the tranny a sec to shift back to 1st, I hope its not forseeing a problem, I still have a warrenty with the place I bought it from for another 3k miles so if anything I will tell them to rip the old oine out and get me a new one, how much is the transfer change and tranny oil change????? Also how much will JUST OIL CHANGES run me in the future?

BK

·
Registered
66 Posts
I guess if a meal and snacks is important to you by all means keep going to the dealer. I don't remember saying anything about Jiffy lube though. If you think the dealer rips you off for brakes and other parts I'm sure he's treating you ok with a service A. I think I can change my oil for less than $75 tell me what he does for the other $200. Most people can do the service there cars need at home if they try. The checks they do are checks most anyone can do other than check codes. If you want codes check mine will do it for free.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,548 Posts
2000MBML320 said:
Ok Darkmann, thats where I wa sconfused I didnt know if service A or B were due at EVERY OIL CHANGE, since they said they didnt have just oil changes I thought Id have to go EVERY service intercval without getting one, which I thought was really dumb but didnt want to say it, I guess I said it anyway huh?
No, you're still missing something. There's only A and B service. Both include oil changes and other stuff, most of it DIY. That's it!!! Just drive and watch the display for which wrench shopw up. The system uses several inputs including your driving style to determine when service is required, and this service WILL INCLUDE AN OIL CHANGE.

2000MBML320 said:
...So I can get the A service done now, then when is my regular oil change interval, will MB let me know when the next recommended oil change is? ...
In a way, MB will let you know when the next oil change is due - the truck will tell you when next you need to get your next service, not your next oil change because an oil change is always part whatever next service the vehicle tells you to do. That's why I said that the concept of a regular oil change really doesn't apply to this and other modern vehicles.

2000MBML320 said:
I'm clearing it all up now, Ill go ahead and take it in soon, get the oil changed...
And after you do that the shop will reset the service counter to 10,000 miles. That's theoretically how many miles MB engineers have programmed into the system for your next service (A or B). From then on, as soon as you start driving, the system begins to monitor the engine's condition will start counting down. You could go to 13K before next service or less than 10K. It all depends on how you drive!!!!!

2000MBML320 said:
..., the truck is at 79600 now and when I stop it seems like it takes the tranny a sec to shift back to 1st, I hope its not forseeing a problem, I still have a warrenty with the place I bought it from for another 3k miles so if anything I will tell them to rip the old oine out and get me a new one, how much is the transfer change and tranny oil change????? Also how much will JUST OIL CHANGES run me in the future?
MB just lately recommends tranny service somewhere between 60 and 100K, according to my MasterTech. My suggestion is to have it done - it's really not that expensive. It's really cheap insurance and may resolve your hesitation problem.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,548 Posts
rp41 said:
I guess if a meal and snacks is important to you by all means keep going to the dealer. I don't remember saying anything about Jiffy lube though. If you think the dealer rips you off for brakes and other parts I'm sure he's treating you ok with a service A. I think I can change my oil for less than $75 tell me what he does for the other $200. Most people can do the service there cars need at home if they try. The checks they do are checks most anyone can do other than check codes. If you want codes check mine will do it for free.
OK, rp41, relax a bit because we all understand your point and agree that these shops basically offer a very expensive oil change, especially for the A service. But consider 2000MBML320's situation - used ML320 all new to them, hasn't quite understood the concept of FSS, just getting used to the truck, tranny hesitation, it seems, and you really expect them to DIY oil changes? I'd rather they spend the $$$$$ now at the shop to have it done right - and the bonus is that codes and whatever else could be going on with the vehicle will be presented to them as part of this first service. After that, they have at least 10K to understand the vehicle, post here several times and decide whether DIY oil changes are for them. Heck, I don't even DIY oil changes simply because I thin it's too much of a hassle - mostly finding time and disposing of the used oil. When I sum it all up, I'd rather take the truck in, really, and I even have a MitiVac!!!!!

·
Registered
ML320
5 Posts
Darkmann:

I agree with you 100 percent.
In theory it's great to DIY, but finding the time to do it is a different story.

2000MBML320:
Some dealers offer discounts on parts and labor on their websites.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
rp41 said:
HA! That's what I said a while ago and this jackass flames me for it. :D :big laugh:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1314291-service-exceeded-miles-what-does-dat-mean.html?highlight=service+checks

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,432 Posts
Darkmann said:
... If I were you, I'd take the truck in now and have the service done, seeing that you got it used.
I was getting an uneasy sense of deja vu. BK, this was all discussed in another thread a month ago.
DrX said:
In fact, you should stop pressing the button to check the miles-to-go. When the service date is near, the display will pop-up the wrench automatically on start-up. Just enjoy driving your ML and don't worry about the oil.

... if your ML has been serviced by MB all the records would be in their system under your VIN. Ask a smarter local dealer to look up your car's service history and get a printout.
2000MBML320 said:
Oh ok ill do that tomorrow, thanks..... I hope its ok.....
Did you visit the dealer and get the service history printed out? If you did, you would know what service was done last time, and when you need an oil change.

Did you stop pressing the button to check the miles-to-go? Obviously not.

All we can do is offer you our best advice. :banghead: Whether you choose to act on it is entirely up to you. All we are trying to do is help you enjoy your ML more and worry less.

If you won't stop worrying and checking until you get it serviced, then book it in tomorrow. And don't forget to ask for the service history.

·
Registered
2001 ML320 W/ D2 Nav and XM Traffic, 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3
103 Posts
Best way to get the oil changed cheaply if you don't feel like doing it yourself. Go to he dealer and buy the filter and a crush ring. Then off to the auto parsts store and get 9 quarts of Mobil 1, 0-W40. the go to the local jiffy lube and they will simply charge labor of $22.00. I will never do it myself again disposing of old oil is pain in Arse. I don't care what anyone recommends change it every 5K

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
104 Posts
For some reason I don't enjoy changing the oil in my ML, it does not take too long but its boring :D I take it to my dealer and sometimes they are suprI:eek: when I bring my ML for oil change even after 3000 miles" I guess for the ML its 5000 miles" but for my 69 Camaro and my brothers GT I don't mind to change it every day :).
Take it to the dealer for a service see what they say and later start playing with it. I am thinking getting a new Borla pipe for my ML, good luck man!:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts