Registered
2003 S430 4matic
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 500SL's at the moment.

I have a question.

1 is a 1991
2 are 1992's

The 91 and one of the 92's has the mechanical Odometer. The other 92 has the digital Odo.

When were the ODO's changed? The odd thing is the one with the digital ODO is supposed to be older than the other 92....

These are all Imported models from overseas.

Was the digital odo an option? I didnt think it was, but this is baffling me. I mean I havent actually decoded VINS yet, but if these are both 92's I am baffled. Well, worried is more like it. I am paranoid that I have a car with a Cluster change or something like that. The condition seems to match mileage on all units, but I just dont know.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,898 Posts
Just commenting on Eriks original topic. It is possible to re-set/re-programme odometers.

There is a very grey area known as "Dashboard Engineering". This service is offered by criminals to give the car a "haircut" (criminal parlance for changing a car's odometer reading to a lower figure).
I once saw an undercover TV report on this practice, and the criminal simply plugged a laptop computer into the car's diagnostic socket and asked the the undercover reporter what he would like the odometer to read. It took just seconds to remove 40,000 miles.

I thought that my '93 SL 500 analogue odometer was a normal mechanical cable drive. It just goes to show, you learn something new every day.

Cheers Erik :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Sl500 1997
215 Posts
For MB before 2003 is very easy to change km
It needed just a Tacho Sw
Its over the net
The best cost 10 000 Usd

New models has also in key module and is possible to reprogram it too but after that
many problems will ocured til end of key module ;)

·
Banned
230 Posts
I have had 4 R129s in/from Japan and my understanding is the change was 1994. I have had two 1993s and one had mechanical and the other digital, after looking at service history the one with digital was changed at 17,000KMS as it malfunctioned. So in Japan at least, all are mechanical prior to 1994 and digital for 1994 and up. If you have digital pre 1994, it has probably been changed.

(1994 was also the time the vents on front fenders changes shape, so I am guessing that another change was the odometer)

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
RedLiner said:
Just commenting on Eriks original topic. It is possible to re-set/re-programme odometers.

There is a very grey area known as "Dashboard Engineering". This service is offered by criminals to give the car a "haircut" (criminal parlance for changing a car's odometer reading to a lower figure).
Thanks Redliner,
I've got this new digital cluster I bought from eBay (to replace my "rolling" odo one) and it's really brand new so the odo reads zero, I'd like to set it to read my current reading of about 116,000 kilometers; does anyone know how I could accomplish this?

No I don't want to take kilometers off, I want to ADD! :)
To make it correlate with my full MB service history and to make it look like it was the original cluster, after all it looks a bit wierd on a 13 year car to have a reading of almost zero kilometers...

·
Registered
Sl500 1997
215 Posts
NO
you cannot add electronic one at old R129 as new odometer take the signal from speed sensor-CAN-ODOMETER and the old one mechanicly.

rgds

·
Banned
230 Posts
gsm-decode, that is not corect, even though mechanical looks like it would have a cable, both are electric and are interchangeable.

·
Registered
Sl500 1997
215 Posts
edutain1 said:
gsm-decode, that is not corect, even though mechanical looks like it would have a cable, both are electric and are interchangeable.
Old odometter count mechanicly not with cable like W124 for example
It has nothing to do with new odometer

Electronic one take the signal from speed sensor to Can and to instrument cluster.

It can not be done

Onlky if you change all cables and wires and make a R129 old to R129 new 97-98 models ;)

Regards

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
redbeast said:
I have a 1991 500SL with a digital odometer. It was listed in the options list...
The "option" you refer to must be the mph speedo for the US market. This is not a choice option by the buyer, it's listed on the data card for all US, UK etc "mph" countries as standard issue for obvious legal import requirements as opposed to the factory standard km/h speedo (which is NOT listed on the data card). Or please prove me wrong if you feel I'm incorrect...

·
Registered
131 Posts
You must be right ErikFinn, I am the second owner and I asked the dealer for the data card. It was listed there along with the Bose radio etc, etc...

·
Registered
2003 S430 4matic
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow. Good Reads.

Its nice to know the swap is easy, as the newer cluster updates the car quite a bit, but now also worries me about mileage. (Such as swapped clusters to show lower mileage!)

The 500sl's are now all sold, but I should really run the vin's and see if the one with the digital ODO was really an option, or if it was swapped out.

It was the lowest mileage unit in the bunch, (23,000KM) and the car showed as though that is true. Everything was perfect, but being a direct import, there was not much along the lines of service history.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 Jaguar XJR
346 Posts
1991 500 SL

I have a 1991 500 SL, that I bought from a MB dealer last November. It had the analog odometer. In looking at other cars, I actually passed on another 1991 that had a digital odometer, thinking it was suspect.
I think the digital ones came out in 1993.
Shortly after I purchased my car, the cluster failed. I had it replaced at the dealer which put in a digital one.
I suspect this is the explanation with a lot of the older R129's that have a digital odo.
One thing to note though, I would look for paperwork to prove miles are correct in these situations. This is one of the reason's I had mine done at the dealer and was willing to grab my ankles for the cost of the repair..

Matt

·
Registered
300SL-24 1992 White;BMW X3-3.0 E83 2005 Blue;190E-2.6 1992(sold); BMW 316-1.8 E30 1983(sold)
227 Posts
Digital vs Mechanical or LCD vs dial figure

Mine is 92' Oct. produced (is it 92' or 93'?), it has the "dial figure" (so called"mechanical" )odo. but not driven by wire/cable, its cluster connectors are all electrical type.
Maybe you are talking about the LCD vs dial figure, in my openion, if it isn't driven by wire, it is digital type, and could be interchangable with LCD cluster.

morris

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,898 Posts
Personally and aesthetically speaking with the other dials as analogue in the cluster the digital odometer is an eyesore.

I would prefer all digital or all analogue not a mixture of the two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Joining the thread ...

New here and jumping into the discussion. The instrument cluster in my '92 works "sometimes" but the mechnical odometer always works. The Speedodometer, tach, fuel guage and clock work sparatically. I have found a didigital one from another '92 that shows close to the same mileage (I have 133,335, the new one shows 143,200). Is there any way I can reset the didigal one to match my mechnical one or does the dealer have a way of setting it to match my current mileage?

Dennis

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
New here and jumping into the discussion. The instrument cluster in my '92 works "sometimes" but the mechnical odometer always works. The Speedodometer, tach, fuel guage and clock work sparatically. I have found a didigital one from another '92 that shows close to the same mileage (I have 133,335, the new one shows 143,200). Is there any way I can reset the didigal one to match my mechnical one or does the dealer have a way of setting it to match my current mileage?

Dennis
Darby1126 hello and welcome in our big and international friendly family:). Please update your profile with your car, year and location to help us help you in the best and quickest possible way. For us it’s extremely important you do this.

If you search under the name bobterry99 you will find a very nice write up where he replaced some resistors or capacitors (I can't remember which) on the cluster to make it work properly.
As for replacing the cluster and resetting it to the correct mileage I'm not sure it's possible but maybe some more knowledgeable member than me could give you a better answer.

Hope it helps for now.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts