Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For such a classic body style (107), I am not convinced that the standard wheels on my 560 accent the car, just my opinion.

I am wondering in anyone knows or has pics of a "rudge-type" wheel for the 107. I am looking for something sporty, almost rally-like for my car.

I know that there are plenty of after-market choices available, but while trying to accent the car I don't want to stray to far from the sport-look.

Absent any suggestions to the above, I'm probably leaning right now towards an AMG-style monoblock star, similar to what you'd see on a 210 E420/430.

All suggestions welcome,

Michael

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
I would like to go retro on my 1989 SL and make the car look like a 70’s SL. I think the s...

I would like to go retro on my 1989 SL and make the car look like a 70’s SL. I think the spoiler and the modern wheels does not suit the rest of the car which is a pure 70’s design. This I would achieve simply by removing the front spoiler and mount 70´s style wheels.

Unless you want to go for wider wheels, it is quite difficult to find wheels that fit the 1986+ W107. Even though the original wheels are identical to the W126 S-class (7x15 25mm offset), the wheels that fit the W126 will not necessarily fit the SL. This is because the brake calipers are much further out towards the outside of the rim. With the original “flush� wheels, you only have a couple of mm distance between the wheels and the caliper, and these wheels have almost no depth which means that hardly any other 7 inch wide wheels will fit unless you add spacers.

I tried (and even bought a set) 15x7 “Bundt� (15� versions of the alu wheels that were std on pre 86 SLs) but even though the size and offset were correct they did not fit because of the breaks.

Then I got the idea to mount W126 steel wheels together with 15� 70´s style hubcaps. 15� hubcaps were available on the long- and heavy duty models (for example ambulances) of W115 and W123. Mercedes don’t sell them anymore, but I managed to buy a (new) set on germane ebay. The hubcaps fit the W126 steel wheels fine, but the wheels don’t fit the car! I would need 15 or 20mm spacers, which I think is too much. When going retro, you don’t want the wheels to stick out that much.

What I will try now is 7x15 steel wheels with offset 37mm, and mount spacers. These steel wheels have less depth, and I think I can get a way with maybe 20mm spacers which would place the wheel only 8mm too far out which I think would be acceptable. I still have not tried it though. I am also not sure if the hubcaps fit the lower offset steel wheels (might be a problem since they have less depth). The problem is that you can't buy new wheels everytime you want to try something...

I did a simpel photo-montage of what my car would look like with the old style hubcaps and without front spoiler. I don't know if I should go for white-wall tires or not, the problem is that in 205/65 they are only available as all season.

Attachments

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JQ nice job with...

JQ nice job with the pics! Completely off the topic, but what editing software did you use?

Back to the topic at hand. I am leaning towards the Mille Miglia wheels on Tire Rack. Appears to give somewhat of a rally-look.

But it appears choices are somewhat limiting.

Michael

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
I used MS paint, not really a good photo-editing program. I'm gonna get Photoshop installe...

I used MS paint, not really a good photo-editing program. I'm gonna get Photoshop installed on my PC, then I will try to do some really nice stuff.

There was a really nice set of 16" BBS 3-piece wheels sold at germany ebay a couple of weeks ago. EUR915 (wheels were brand new). Real classic stuff...

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3107335935&category=28648

Attachments

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Re: JQ nice job with...

I am leaning towards the Mille Miglia wheels on Tire Rack. Appears to give somewhat of a rally-look.
I checked them out on tirerack, do you mean the 5-spokes I attach below? These wheels are to modern looking for my taste, I think the car should have wheels that come from the same era as the car itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: JQ nice job with...

I am leaning towards the Mille Miglia wheels on Tire Rack. Appears to give somewhat of a rally-look.
I checked them out on tirerack, do you mean the 5-spokes I attach below? These wheels are to modern looking for my taste, I think the car should have wheels that come from the same era as the car itself.
Yes JQ, those are the ones, but perhaps in chrome.

I agree, they are more modern looking than I would like, but it appears choices are limited for the 107.

I was just looking at some on wheel experts that were in steel, but nothing I've gone ga-ga over.

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not sure yet

not sure yet, still looking.

Haven't "fallen" for anything I've seen yet.

Will keep you posted on my choice,

Mike

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not sure yet

not sure yet, still looking.

Haven't "fallen" for anything I've seen yet.

Will keep you posted on my choice,

Mike

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
What about these Lonser 8 x 17 / 8,5 x 17?I found these on german ebay [url]http://cgi...

What about these Lonser 8 x 17 / 8,5 x 17 (for sale on german ebay)?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403133082&category=9892

I think they are early 90´s, and I think they would suit a 107 very well. Offset is 22mm (front) and 18mm (rear). To me it looks like it could be critical to fit the front wheels (becasue of the breaks) but according to the seller they should fit all SLs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1977 450SL
1 Posts
How about these??

The tire size is 225 - 50R16.
Purchased them site unseen. In fact had someone else pick them up for me.
Bolted right on, no real clearance problems. Would actually like to go to a larger diameter, say 18" someday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1976 450SL
5 Posts
Bigger but still Retro 70's Wheels??

Looks Good!! But I'm personally leaning toward keeping the 70's look.

I just bought my '76 sight unseen (a few photos only) with real wire spoke wheels. I don't know if they are original or aftermarket, (anybody know if that was an option??) but I've seen several photos of 107's with the same/similar wheels from the same era.

This is a little premature because I'm not sure what kind of shape the wire wheels are in. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell from few pix I have, but I'm assuming they may need to be replaced. If so, I'd like to replace with 15" or 16" for the performance benefits.

JQ I like your idea about 15" wheels with hubcaps, did you ever find a solution? What about 16" ideas?
Anybody have any other retro ideas??

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Re: Bigger but still Retro 70's Wheels??

JQ I like your idea about 15" wheels with hubcaps, did you ever find a solution? What about 16" ideas?
Anybody have any other retro ideas??
Hub-caps are painted in color of the car. I had a parking damage so door had to be re-painted. I masked the hubcaps myself, and the garage painted them for free [:)]. But I still have not found any wheels that fit. Problem is that you really have to mount them to find out if they fit.

The W126 steel wheel has the correct size (7 x 15, offset 25mm) but I know it does not fit. A guy in germany who wanted to sell such wheels tried it on his SL and said I would need 15-20mm spacers on each front wheel to clear the calipers. This is too much I think, both for looks and suspension geometry. For a pre 86 SL it should however be no problems to fit the W126 steel wheels.

So my next idea is to try W210 7x15 / 37mm offset. With 20mm spacers, these wheels would stick out only 8 mm more than stock. Don't know if they fits though, becasue the hub-cap needs some depth, and I also don't know if 20mm spacer is enough for the caliper.

For an older SL without the front caliper problem, the 15" bundt-style wheel (15" version of original 14" alu) is also an atractive solution. Maybe dificult to find in USA, but in Germany there are about 1 set per month on ebay, ATS repicas are going at around 300-600 Euros depending on condition. There has also been new original 15" bundt for sale, they went between 1500 and 2200 Euros.

·
Registered
1976 450SL
5 Posts
Factory Wire Wheels???

Thanks for the ideas!! I haven't been able to find any 15 bundt-style wheels here, but that would look great! Neither have I been able to find any W126 steel wheels & hubcaps for sale yet, though I'm sure there are plenty out there.[:(] There are certainly plenty of 560SL and 500SL wheels (as well as aftermarket versions of both) for about $100US/Ea.

I appreciate the info, but admittedly I'm being premature in my search. I really need to wait and see the wire wheels before I decide to do anything. I think they would look really "70's SMOOTH" if they're still in good shape!! [;)]

Do you (or anyone else) know if wire wheels were a factory/dealer installed option, or are they definitely aftermarket?? (sorry, no photo available)

The reason I ask is that I'd like everything to look original. Regardless, I think they match the era so I'm not overly concerned... What do you think?

Jason

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Re: Factory Wire Wheels???

Thanks for the ideas!! I haven't been able to find any 15 bundt-style wheels here, but that would look great! Neither have I been able to find any W126 steel wheels & hubcaps for sale yet, though I'm sure there are plenty out there.[:(]
The W126 wheels does not come with the 70s style hubcaps. 15" 70's style hubcaps are not that easy to find, they were only fitted on long wheel-base and ambulance W123 and W115 (which had 5,5 x 15" wheels). The hubcaps do however fit the W126 steel wheel. At least in Europe they are not sold new anymore but I managed to find a new pair on german ebay.

Regarding 15" Bundt, I have a set of ATS replicas (with Mercedes center star). With correct size and offset I was sure they would fit, but they did not. They are like new (professionaly repainted). I would sell them for US$ 700 (=my own costs including paint job), but I guess shipping to USA could be expensive.

I'm quite sure there were never anything like factory wire wheels. In my opinion, wire wheels does not suit a 107 SL (or any Mercedes for that matter).

Top left: 15" hubcap
Top right: 15" bundt
Bottom: Hubcaps hanging on air filler caps (in front fo the alu wheels) on my car

Attachments

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
15" hubcaps for sale on german ebay:
[url]http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&i...

15" hubcaps for sale on german ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2413440831

These hubcaps are not sold by Mercedes anymore, and 57 Euros (imediate buy option) is a very good price (I paid 100 for mine)!

·
Registered
380-SL
2 Posts
Next week I'll be picking up a set of wire wheels (14 x 7) for my '85 380SL. I'm buying them from the car's second owner. Donar car is another '85 380SL. First owner bought the wires when originally purchasing the car. I suspect the wires were a dealer option... not factory. Wheels have a blue colored MB center cap logo. Anyone have advice with regard to what tire size would provide for a better looking profile and yet not rub? Thanks much,

W

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
I put a set of these on and they look fantastic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43955&item=7970820250&rd=1

I also changed the center caps to match the hood badge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts