Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300SL, 2000 E320 Wagon, 2003 SL500, 2009 SL55 AMG
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The time has come to consider doing something with my "fading" original wheels as I need new tires .... the tire dealer says that the wheels can be painted for $130.00 each or I can buy after market wheels and he offered me ASA wheels ... he says that they look OEM ??? Has anyone purchased these wheels or any other OEM look after market wheels ? I am thinking of chrome ? Also, has anyone used the "Kleen Wheels" ?

Please advise .... and thanks in advance.

Best,

Michael

My e-mail address: [email protected]

G

·
Go for a set that suit the era of your SL. Just remember to make sure the wheels have to suit the big 4pot 560SL brakes on your car. Let us know what you decide with a note and the photo.

·
Registered
1979 Euro 450SL
30 Posts
I purchased a set of 16 x 7.5" ASA Type 8 wheels for my 450SL. Wheel offset is 23mm, which is close to the stock 25mm. They are available chrome-plated. Check the link below for pics.

ASA Type 8

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,175 Posts
I collected a set of nice spare 15-holer 560SL wheels (not that easy to find, but not that expensive) and sent them off to a chrome plater; I've gotten two back and am happy with them, especially at $100 ea, and am waiting for the other three. I've mounted two (on the same side, of course).

The inside of the slots are plated, but not polished, but considering I can't drive 10 miles without them getting dirty from brake dust it probably doesn't matter.

Shipping (both ways) however, is brutal.

Make sure you find a trustworthy tire/wheel place that doesn't gouge you or your wheels. I did - and it isn't a chain, it's a small shop that looks pretty dumpy. And they used adhesive/inside weights, too.

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
my neighbour (odd that we each have a 88 560sl and live right next door to each other) has chrome wheels on his red 560sl, and the inner part of each of the 15 holes is plated and not chromed as you say above. he asked me yesterday if i was going to chrome my wheels, which are currently stock, and i told him that i didn't think so because 1> my wheels are in perfect shape (the collector from whom i bought the car babied this thing like crazy - not even any brake dust pock marks!) and 2> that the chroming that he got doesn't include the inner part of the hole, and i would want the whole thing done if i was going to do it.

does anyone know of a shop that will chrome the entire wheel (not just the surface)? if so - i might consider doing it ,,, but on the other hand ,,, i sort of like the stock wheel look against my colour (black pearl - looks like dark thunderstorm cloud grey). thoughts?

·
Registered
1987 300SL, 2000 E320 Wagon, 2003 SL500, 2009 SL55 AMG
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the thoughts everyone ... now I am more confused ! Is chrome a problem ? I am thinking of using Kleen Wheels ? Also in my reasearch I have found that the stock lug nuts will not work with after-market wheels ... the wheel dealers call the lug nuts that have to be used with the after-market wheels the " new shorter style" .... Tire Rack quoted me $867.00 and change for four chrome ASA Type 15 wheels delivered to me in Northern California. The Type 15 wheels are after-market stock looking 15 inch wheels for my year but in chrome including MB logo center caps and "not chromed" lug nuts. I also found after-market chrome wheels of the same type but made in Italy, Eta Beta
brand, at $234.00 each at Capitol West in Sacramanto, California ? Anyone know about Eta Beta wheels ? Thanx .....

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,175 Posts
Well, my 15-holer chromed wheels are chromed entirely, they just aren't polished in the holes entirely. This would be pretty laborious, and I think my $100 deal per wheel was a good one. The holes get dirty within 40 miles of driving anyway!

On the lugs, I have both aftermarket chromed lugs and plastic caps for non-chromed lugs; I've been using the plastic caps because they actually do look pretty good and add a small amount of anti-theft (hard to get off without a proper tool). don't ever have to worry about marring them when change a wheel. My chromed lugs are aftermarket and after doing some reading, I've been a little leery of their quality...

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,175 Posts
I've been giving some serious thought to getting a powder-coating setup for my other set of wheels. I can get a setup with an oven for $500, and doing the wheels will cost that much anyway (never mind shipping). I'd get the equipment for free maybe to do someone else's set with. I have a source that sells the exact "mercedes" color of powder coat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts