Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting new tires for the 02 wagon in the spring and I was wondering if they all came with 16" tires or if any came with 17"?

Normally I get my tires from The Tire Rack and have purchased a few full wheel sets - have been very happy with the quality -- especially for the price. They sell wheels from one of the big OE italian makers.

Both of the rims on the passenger side have some curb rash and while I don't feel anything -- one of the rear tires has a fairly large weight -- indicating it may be out of round. Tire rack mounts and balances the sets for no additional charge plus new hardware (I still have the original lugs) So for not a great deal extra money I think I may just get new wheels.

I'm not going with a larger overall tire just a lower profile - anyone using 17's.

I did this with my 1988 SL -- Went one size larger and replaced the leaking chrome MB rims. It handles and looks much better -- I think that only came with 15's

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
It sounds like you're just coming up with excuses because you want new wheels. ;)

Curb rash is not a problem except aesthetically (and you can repair them with the sticky). The large weight means a poor tire jockey did the job; every wheel has a heavy spot as does every tire, those overlapped on that one and he didn't spin it. You will also most likely need a new set of lugs for the new wheels...stock will be too long.

Oh what AM I SAYING?!?! DOH!!

Man, I'm sorry, you'll have to replace the fetzer valves if you re-use those wheels. You have to replace them, no choice at all. And you can't get OEM anymore, just a premium supplier out of Tangiers, 6 month wait and $300 shipping. Sorry.

I don't think you have a choice, man. Even new 16s probably won't work, so I think you have to go bigger.

17s are fine on a wagon. 235/45-17 all the way around, no staggered setup.

Enjoy. :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not looked at the recommended upsize for the car/tires. Are you using the 135/45-17's? The PO put on a set of 215/55HR16 -- from Pep Boys -- Just OK tires, they are quiet .........I can say that.

My last set to mount and balance was about $75.00 -- but I have been charged as much as 150.00 to do a setup on tires from Tirerack. Plus I need to get new lugs if I keep the old wheels (old style that snap)-- not sure what they are each.

I had MB go over the tires and check the spare. Forgot to ask them if it is an alloy wheel?? If it is I would replace the one with the big weight with the spare wheel -- in case it is a problem. But it could just be a combination of heavy wheel matching with heavy tire.

So I'm looking at a couple hundred dollars keeping the same wheels. The wheels from TR are around $100.00 give or take and are surprisingly nice. The shipping for the wheel vs just the tires is very little more and they do a great job with the balancing. So the difference is only a couple hundred.

But you are correct -- I am looking for an excuse to replace what I view as a very ugly wheels. The simple five or six spoke silver wheels from TR would be a vast improvement - IMO. MB has some ugly wheels.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
I run 235-45-17 inch tires on 17 inch amg aero 2s (wheel size is 17 x 8.5 et 30). Handling is ok. there's a bit more tramlining as the tire wears.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,002 Posts
I had 17" wheels on our W210 and went back to OEM 16"
Bay Area is having roads worse than lot or African countries and ride comfort on skinner rubber was lowered drastically. Did the lower profile tires offer better handling? Can't tell since we drive highways and freeways 99.9 % of the time.
For sure the 17 tires are more expensive and while usually offering better traction -they also offer lower thread life. I hate buying tires every years.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
yes - 235 45 17 is the O.E. equipment size on W210 with optional AMG sport package Most common for the 2000 E430 sport (M113 motor) An excellent size if you ask me. not too large and still a decent contact patch.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I have not looked at the recommended upsize for the car/tires. Are you using the 135/45-17's? The PO put on a set of 215/55HR16 -- from Pep Boys -- Just OK tires, they are quiet .........I can say that.

My last set to mount and balance was about $75.00 -- but I have been charged as much as 150.00 to do a setup on tires from Tirerack. Plus I need to get new lugs if I keep the old wheels (old style that snap)-- not sure what they are each.

I had MB go over the tires and check the spare. Forgot to ask them if it is an alloy wheel?? If it is I would replace the one with the big weight with the spare wheel -- in case it is a problem. But it could just be a combination of heavy wheel matching with heavy tire.

So I'm looking at a couple hundred dollars keeping the same wheels. The wheels from TR are around $100.00 give or take and are surprisingly nice. The shipping for the wheel vs just the tires is very little more and they do a great job with the balancing. So the difference is only a couple hundred.

But you are correct -- I am looking for an excuse to replace what I view as a very ugly wheels. The simple five or six spoke silver wheels from TR would be a vast improvement - IMO. MB has some ugly wheels.
You know I was just poking fun, right? I thought the OEM wheels were pretty unappealing, too, particularly after I washed them a couple of times. :rolleyes:

If you don't want to go to 17s (you're adding a bit of unsprung weight, a little increase in ride harshness, but it's barely noticeable) there are lots of options with 16s as well. The stock 16" 211 wheels are awesome looking on the 210 (that was my first set) and used MB wheels are all over ebay and CL.

That said, either way find a tire shop you know and trust. That's what I did and the guy has been excellent. Good equipment, very conscientious about balancing and caring for the wheels (even has a plastic sleeve over the socket on his breaker bar for removing the lugs) and charges $20/per.

If you've found something you like at TR, though, in the 17" size, jump in. Sounds like your wheels won't end up costing you very much, either, and you can repair your old 16s and ebay or CL them, too (or just sell as-is, that's even easier).

Stock size for the 210 is 215/55R16, or with the sport package 235/45R17. That maintains the same OD, and the cumulative three extra inches of rubber on the road is a bonus. I did notice a slight drop in gas mileage (about 1 mpg freeway) after I put on the 17s, if that is a concern to you. The tires are LRR Contis, so my guess is it's a combination of the slightly-broader frontal cross section and slightly higher rolling friction from the contact patches.

Hope that all helps.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input!

And Gregs210 -- I did understand the joke.;)

I don't have that much experience playing with tire size and normally just stick with the stock size. On the 560SL moving from the 15" to the 16" made a huge difference in the handling -- if you call what that car does ... handle:eek:

Normally I'm searching out smaller rims for dedicated snow tires because I run strictly summer tires on a couple of my cars. The wagon is going to get some form of all-season tire. Since I was going to order a complete wheel set I figured I would consider going to the 17" - but I don't want to degrade the ride -- the back is a bit stiff to begin with on this car.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Thanks for the input!

And Gregs210 -- I did understand the joke.;)

I don't have that much experience playing with tire size and normally just stick with the stock size. On the 560SL moving from the 15" to the 16" made a huge difference in the handling -- if you call what that car does ... handle:eek:

Normally I'm searching out smaller rims for dedicated snow tires because I run strictly summer tires on a couple of my cars. The wagon is going to get some form of all-season tire. Since I was going to order a complete wheel set I figured I would consider going to the 17" - but I don't want to degrade the ride -- the back is a bit stiff to begin with on this car.
Well, you can always go to a 215/50R17, that's nearly identical in OD to the stock size. You won't gain anything in the contact patch, but you might not suffer any fuel economy loss.

Just curious which wheels are you considering? I've noticed that sometimes the ones that look good on the sedan don't look so hot on the wagon. Curiously, though the 11-spoke stockers look worse on the wagon than on the sedan, at least IMHO. ;)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.......agree .......the OE wheels look better on the sedan than the wagon.

I am partial to five and six spoke wheels -- often like the five a bit more since they are less cluttered looking ........ Shows off nice brake parts if the car has them.

I put simple five spokes on the SL and I can not tell you how many have asked me about them - I hate to tell them they are inexpensive painted italian wheels.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4MATIC
7 Posts
We have the factory 17" wheels on our 02 4MATIC sedan with 235/45R17 tires. If I could make a tire recommendation, check out the Bridgestone Potenza RE960. We have them on our car and they are very smooth, quiet and handle great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts