Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500SL (RHD) 160k miles
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed one of the front wheel bearings rubbing/grinding on a 150 mile journey. Got to do about 300 miles on Sunday and I doubt I'll get a replacement tomorrow.
Just wondering if I'll be ok, and what happens if it gets any worse?!
Thanks.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

One bad case scenario you spin an inner race and weld it to the spindle, ruining the spindle, hub, and who knows what else.

Park it 'til you repair it.

Seriously.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,662 Posts
listen to Dave.

A failing bearing can actually operate for a long time, but it can also go quickly and catastrophically. DOn't risk it, especially if you have a "grinding" sound.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,452 Posts
I have a feeling he is away from home. If so check to see if you can repack and tighten.
If at home the above response are on the money.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the brilliant advice guys. in that case i'm going to replace it. just trying to find the parts - in the epc the part number for the kit is A 107 330 00 51 but then it also has A 115 330 00 51 in red text underneath. Does this mean the 115 part number will also fit?

I looked up on the SKF online catalogue and they list the kit VKBA517. I read on here that SKF is the OE manufacturer but just wondering if anyone has any experience with other manufacturers e.g. Febi Bilstein? Normally I always go OE but I'm a bit pushed for time so I'm going to get whatever is quickest.

Thanks again guys. This forum is an amazing resource.

Cheers.

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
I would just stay away from Chinese bearings or you will be doing it again soon.

I doubt whether Febi makes bearings. SKF should be safe, or FAG

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,535 Posts
thanks for the brilliant advice guys. in that case i'm going to replace it. just trying to find the parts - in the epc the part number for the kit is A 107 330 00 51 but then it also has A 115 330 00 51 in red text underneath. Does this mean the 115 part number will also fit?

I looked up on the SKF online catalogue and they list the kit VKBA517. I read on here that SKF is the OE manufacturer but just wondering if anyone has any experience with other manufacturers e.g. Febi Bilstein? Normally I always go OE but I'm a bit pushed for time so I'm going to get whatever is quickest.

Thanks again guys. This forum is an amazing resource.

Cheers.
There is like 3 or 4 bearing manufacturers in the world that have been around for years and years (not counting China) SKF is one of them. I'll bet money that if in comes in a Febi box it'll be an SKF, Timken or NTN.

The MB kit comes with more than just bearings....new races, locknut thingy, washer etc.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,662 Posts
Nobby is right- A quality parts supplier will repackage bearings from FAG, etc. You really want to avoid the no-name bearings (from China, India, etc.). They are made with poor quality steel, inappropriate or poor heat treating, poor grinding and finishing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks guys. the febi kit appears to have all the extra bits, plus some long thingy with a hole at each end, which I assume is some sort of locking device for the two calliper bolts?

also it's interesting that the green MB grease in the other post appears to be made by febi:
http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1443697&pk=82B4A

To get the two bearing guides out is a bearing press the only way or can it be hammered out with a chisel?

also before i removed the callipers I was spinning the hubs and noticed that the break pads drag slightly on the discs so that the wheels don't spin completely freely. is this normal, or is there some adjustment screw to back the callipers off by a few tenths of a mm?

i found the knackered bearing, one of the rollers had crumbled into pieces and the others behind it were on their way. there were fine metal particles in the grease behind the cap, almost like glitter, and also the grease was black and overly runny, i assume from being overheated. very happy that that was the problem and that it is now out of the car!

cheers.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

also before i removed the callipers I was spinning the hubs and noticed that the break pads drag slightly on the discs so that the wheels don't spin completely freely. is this normal, or is there some adjustment screw to back the callipers off by a few tenths of a mm?

A slight bit of drag is ok.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,452 Posts
I hesitate because I have not done a MB. Others have had cutouts on the back side of the race where a long punch can be used.

·
Registered
1976 450 slc
422 Posts
if you look at my post I used a curved punch to get the races out - the inner one is the hard one to get out- very difficult with a straight punch- I only used the press to install the new races

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
so, whose bearings did Febi repackage?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts