Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C230
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I jacked up my front left wheel, removed all the lug nuts, and set the metal "guide" tool into the wheel, the wheel wouldn't come off. I tried pulling it forcefully towards me, but it acted as though it was still firmly attached on the brake roader. Is there some kind of rust of something that is causing the wheel to remain firmly attached, even when all the lug nuts are off? None of the other three wheels seem to do this. Once the last lug is off, the wheel comes right off.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
Rust, dirt, salt.
Jusrt take a rubber hammer and hit it from the back bottom, then turn, hit, turn, hit and it shold fall off.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
When I jacked up my front left wheel, removed all the lug nuts, and set the metal "guide" tool into the wheel, the wheel wouldn't come off. I tried pulling it forcefully towards me, but it acted as though it was still firmly attached on the brake roader. Is there some kind of rust of something that is causing the wheel to remain firmly attached, even when all the lug nuts are off? None of the other three wheels seem to do this. Once the last lug is off, the wheel comes right off.

Jack up the car so the wheel is 1"-2" off the ground
Then "kick" the rubber side of the wheel in four corners
top, bottom, left, right
You need to break the seal between the Metal Rim of the Wheel that is
attached to the Wheel Spindle.

Kick it hard in four corners to break that bond/seal.

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
Get some penatrant spray

Had the same problem with 2 back wheels when I did my brake job. The only thing that will help you if you haven't got it off by now is PB Blaster penatrant spray. Give a liberal ammount of spray to the backside of the rotor, wait 20 minutes and the wheel will come off with ease. Don't even bother with wd40 you will be waisting your time. B

·
Registered
387 Posts
Wheel won't come off
Isn't that because the bolts were bolt on with too much force?
My mechanic told me it isn't very good for aluminium based wheels when they are bolt on with heavy force, it could cause structural damage around the bolt holes. Which makes sense to me because pure aluminium is pretty soft/weak.

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG Relegated to C280
52 Posts
Interesting issue...

I experienced this a few months back. My first reaction was shock but now I think it's kind of cool the way the wheel sticks. I'm even tempted to think it was deliberate on the part of MB.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,189 Posts
Sticking wheels are very common in humid and or salty climates.

To remove a sticking wheel you should turn off each wheel bolt 1 revolution per bolt and then on a flat surface, roll the car back and forth a few times for a few car lengths.
Then jack the car up and remove the sticking wheel.
If it's still stuck, then turn off each wheel nut 1/2 more revolution.
If you strike the Mag, then you might cause damage to the wheel.

You still have approximately 8 to 10 threads per bolt holding the wheel.

DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR WITH THE LOOSE WHEEL BOLTS.!!

Your wheel should be off at this point!
Good luck!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sticking wheels are very common in humid and or salty climates.

To remove a sticking wheel you should turn off each wheel bolt 1 revolution per bolt and then on a flat surface, roll the car back and forth a few times for a few car lengths.
Then jack the car up and remove the sticking wheel.
If it's still stuck, then turn off each wheel nut 1/2 more revolution.
If you strike the Mag, then you might cause damage to the wheel.

You still have approximately 8 to 10 threads per bolt holding the wheel.

DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR WITH THE LOOSE WHEEL BOLTS.!!

Your wheel should be off at this point!
Good luck!!
Same problem. This worked great 1st time. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts