Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to refresh and update a 210 wagon, and have been reading around the site, including the Tire forum. I think I'd like to upsize to 17 or 18" wheels, but that 19 and 20 are too thin on the rubber side for my needs.

My most important questions are regarding your experiences with rim width and/or stagger. I noted that the AMG wagons use 18" rims, staggered at 9 and 8.5 inches wide (r/f). However, most tire/rim shops only stock either 8.5 or 9 and cannot offer stagger unless I jump up to a much higher price point. So, who's running 9-wides on the front? Are there issues? How's stagger look and perform, on the road?

·
Registered
43 Posts
There will be numerous options you can work with the best option in my opinion is a set of AMG E55 Monbloc's staggered set up. You can usally find a good deal on the forums. I think they look great with the E class, the only minor issue is that you will have some tire rubbing if you use the stock 245 size tire…….so use 235/18 in the front and 275/18 in the rear. I have this set up on my 01 E430 and the car rides great plus it looks so much better.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
If

asked,I would say don't stagger a wagon.Get the correct offset(35) on a 8in rim with 235/40/18's.You are not going to be hangin that thing around turns.It will match up pretty close to revs per mile.You can drop it with springs in the rear and still keep the oe hydro shocks and springs and sport shocks on the front to assist the camber.
Wagons be cool:thumbsup:
:bowdown:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
You didn't mention if you were 4Matic or not, but just incase you are - do not stagger wheels on a 4Matic under any circumstance. All four wheels must be identially sized or else your 4Matic will give you fits - it will read the different wheel speeds (caused by different sizes) as slippage and try to interfere.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
^^^^^^

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Possible wheels for my wagon - fit ok?

These have been for sale for a while, and I may go take a look this weekend: Mercedes E320

Will they fit my 01 E320 4Matic without any issues? I will probably replace the tires after a short time, but I think the wheels will look nice. Thoughts?

Gene

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Close

call 245's on the front off of a w211 are going to rub or interfere the suspension at tracks,bumps,curbs etc.Plus you will need all new lugs from radusa since the wheels require a different length lug and ball seat.
You did not state wheel ET and that is another factor that has to be considered.
ohlord:bowdown:
some member had in the classified section good 17's mono style with good rubber for 500bucks shipped or something like that.
also plenty of nice wheels in proper offsets at tirerack and discount tire

Attachments

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Looks

cool on the wagon,but the function is counter productive.
And definitely not on a 4matic
click pic to enlarge

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wheels, wheels, wheels

call 245's on the front off of a w211 are going to rub or interfere the suspension at tracks,bumps,curbs etc.Plus you will need all new lugs from radusa since the wheels require a different length lug and ball seat.
You did not state wheel ET and that is another factor that has to be considered.
ohlord:bowdown:
some member had in the classified section good 17's mono style with good rubber for 500bucks shipped or something like that.
also plenty of nice wheels in proper offsets at tirerack and discount tire
Are these the ones you refer to?
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale-trade-wanted-items/1358915-17-factory-benz-wheels-sale.html

I like the monoblocks but not quite as much as the 5-spoke version. Plus there's shipping from STL. Tires tho are solid, would consider as an alternative to my local choice.

I feel like I'm a woman shoe shopping (tho that's far from the case :) What fits me best? When I see it I'll buy it.

Thanks,
Gene

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'm looking to refresh and update a 210 wagon, and have been reading around the site, including the Tire forum. I think I'd like to upsize to 17 or 18" wheels, but that 19 and 20 are too thin on the rubber side for my needs.

My most important questions are regarding your experiences with rim width and/or stagger. I noted that the AMG wagons use 18" rims, staggered at 9 and 8.5 inches wide (r/f). However, most tire/rim shops only stock either 8.5 or 9 and cannot offer stagger unless I jump up to a much higher price point. So, who's running 9-wides on the front? Are there issues? How's stagger look and perform, on the road?

I Prefer MB/AMG parts on my wagon thats why I Used the AMG E55 set up along with a few other OE EURO Mods

If you like the AMG Mono blocks try Ebay for a set...Or Try and locate a set of AMG Multipiece Mono Blocks for your Estate

My Estate handles great...NO Rubbing and its lowered

Here is a pic of mine with the AMGs

MBenzNL - 2000 S210 E320

·
Registered
109 Posts
These have been for sale for a while, and I may go take a look this weekend: Mercedes E320

Will they fit my 01 E320 4Matic without any issues? I will probably replace the tires after a short time, but I think the wheels will look nice. Thoughts?

Gene
Yes those will fit...i believe the offset is 38...some guy around my neighborhood has them on his car and i have to admit the car looks sharp
you will need bolts from rad R14's....245's are too big , you would need 235's

I have a set of 211 7 spokes on my car ...heres a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts

Gene
i think greg the forum mod has these same wheels on his car. they will fit with the right lugs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some beautiful cars there! Mark are your AMG wheels 8" wide or 9?

I'm dealing with a rwd wagon, but I did note that the '08 AMG wagon is staggered, as I listed in my first post. I'm certainly not going to be hanging the tail out with this thing...it is a 320 after all so maybe I should say I'm most interested to know if and how well a 9" rim fits and works under the front fender. I think I see above, that someone found a lower profile tire was necessary to avoid rub, etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Follow-up question - if the lugs are changed

will I still be able to mount the stock 16s with snows, which is the plan? In other words, is it either/or, or can I still use both?

Here's another set that's also very nice: eBay Motors: Mercedes E500 17" wheels and tires E430 E350 E320 E300 (item 110226253817 end time Feb-27-08 10:31:18 PST)

Seller has emailed me to say that these would also fit, with (surprise) new lug bolts. No mention of the 245 vs. 235 tire size issue. Tire Rack only shows 235/45 with the 17s. Will keep looking...

Thanks,
Gene

·
Registered
93 Posts
For $500 you can't beat the deal on the 17" wheels (off 2001 e430) with very nice michelin pilot a/s tires. They are balanced perfectly, come with center caps and you can use your existing lug bolts. Just bolt on and drive, you can't buy a cheap set of 17" tires for $500, much less with the wheels, mounting, balance, etc. Chris Covinsky @ work 1-618-281-5111.:)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Some beautiful cars there! Mark are your AMG wheels 8" wide or 9?

I'm dealing with a rwd wagon, but I did note that the '08 AMG wagon is staggered, as I listed in my first post. I'm certainly not going to be hanging the tail out with this thing...it is a 320 after all so maybe I should say I'm most interested to know if and how well a 9" rim fits and works under the front fender. I think I see above, that someone found a lower profile tire was necessary to avoid rub, etc...
My Estate runs the AMG E55 alloys 8x18 f and 9x18 r

watch out on the offset if you plan on a 9inch front rim for clearance on the inside for rubbing

and if to much offset out..it will ruin the fenders and kick up all kinds of rocks on the fender/side skirt

Also I Rolled my front fenders tthe same as AMG does on all of its vehicles from 10 to 2
its listed in the WIS for info

·
Registered
109 Posts
will I still be able to mount the stock 16s with snows, which is the plan? In other words, is it either/or, or can I still use both?

Here's another set that's also very nice: eBay Motors: Mercedes E500 17" wheels and tires E430 E350 E320 E300 (item 110226253817 end time Feb-27-08 10:31:18 PST)

Seller has emailed me to say that these would also fit, with (surprise) new lug bolts. No mention of the 245 vs. 235 tire size issue. Tire Rack only shows 235/45 with the 17s. Will keep looking...

Thanks,
Gene
If you go back to the stock wheels....then use the stock bolts.

my opinion....those are way overpriced

1 - 20 of 23 Posts