Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 230slk
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've got this really annoying squeak coming from the front right wheel, it only happens once per r***lution of the wheel and only after 5 miles or so of normal driving / braking (when the brake parts have heated up and maybe expanded??) and generally at lower speeds or when coasting to a stop, slightly more so when turning slightly right. I took the wheel off to see if it was anything obvious and found that the rotor is warped in one place, maybe out by a mm or 2. The front rotors are fairly worn and the dealer said that it would soon be time to change them. My porterfields are only about 5k old and looking healthy. My other thought was a wheel bearing, but with the low milage and symptoms I'm getting I think maybe not. So here are my questions....any help greatly appreciated...
- Is it likely that this squeak is related the the warped rotor?
- If I change the rotors will I also have to put new pads on or can the old ones go back on??
- As I'm replacing them should I be looking at something other than the stock item? - I'm fairly heavy on the brakes..

Thanks again..

·
Registered
SLK 320, C350 CDI
311 Posts
Warped discs normaly cause vibration under braking. Pads will be fine with new discs just rub the glace off with some sandpaper and let them bed in for a while

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
New rotors are fairly inexpensive.
I got mine off USA Ebay. Easy to change. (Drilled and slotted Brembo standard size replacement)
If you can see a warp than change them esp as you are hard on brakes and know they are worn.

Desc sounds like pad rubbing on high spot every rev.
Dont waste money getting them turned as cast iron will have a structural change that will go right thru.
Can check wheel bearings by spinning wheel and listening for rumble and by trying to wobble it for play.

Bazzle

·
Registered
99 230slk
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice 142 and Bazzle... I will get a set ordered up in the next couple of days. I can put up with most things but not a squeaky wheel...drives me nuts, especially with the roof down!!

·
Registered
SLK 320, C350 CDI
311 Posts
As your in the UK try EBC Brakes Or Brakes 4u can recomend got my ceramic pads from them EBC Red Stuff they do discs as well

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Be careful with the EBC pads...............

There have been a number of reports of warped and otherwise damaged discs useing EBC pads. That could be just a deal with Benz SLK discs, but who knows.
Porterfield R4S and AXXIS Metal Masters have been reported as trouble free to this point.

·
Registered
SLK 320, C350 CDI
311 Posts
There was a few problems with EBC pads but it has been sorted with the new ceramic type.
I have had no problems so far and I am running them on the standard MB disc and they are quite dust free

·
Registered
99 230slk
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well I've got my new discs / rotors on, took about an hour and a half to do, mainly due to one of the caliper bolts refusing to move for ages. Got a freind who knows what he's doing to help me (as I didnt know what I was doing lol). Thanks for the advice on what to do about this, I found the slk32.com 'how to' guide really helpful and also Bazzle's detailed picture post on his rotor change.....cheers guys!
I've only done about 10 miles so far with very gentle braking but so far so good, no squeak, a much firmer pedal action and no audible brake rub when coasting to a stop, plus as its not rubbing now I wouldnt be surprised if I might even get an extra mpg or two as a result....altogether better.
One last question, is there a set way to break in new rotors?? I presume I should be taking it really gently for the next 100 miles or so, right??

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Slk230UK99 said:
One last question, is there a set way to break in new rotors?? I presume I should be taking it really gently for the next 100 miles or so, right??
NO.............. Only take it easy for the first few stops, maybe 5 to 10, then drive normally while trying to avoid heavy braking or emergency stops. The worst thing you can do is to glaze the brake pad, and constant gentle braking will do just that.
If for some reason the brakes start to squeal consistantly, remove the pads and sand them with very course sandpaper to remove the glaze. Reinstall them and have at it again, but brake a bit more aggressivly then you did the last time. That should set you up fine.

·
Registered
99 230slk
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice and putting me right on that Bruce... I've probably done 10 gentle stops now so I'll just drive as normal. :)

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Slk230UK99 said:
Thanks for the advice and putting me right on that Bruce... I've probably done 10 gentle stops now so I'll just drive as normal. :)

Agree. Do the odd fast stop after a couple of days to let the chemical bond from the pads coats the disk. Dont stop completelly until disks cool a bit.

Bazzle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts