Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade to 17' wheels on my 560Sl. To do this however i need wheel spacers. i found the following site:<br> http://www.autoclass.net/online_catalog/hr/index.htm<br> my question is if i get a spacer, is the spacer width what i add to my origal offset of 25'? i believe new mercedes rims have 35mm offset? if someone knows of other wheels spacers, please let me know.<br> -francesco

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How wide are you going?

<br> Standard stock wheel size is 15x7 (25mm offset)<br> <br> Are you going with aftermarket wheels or another set of MBZ wheels?<br> <br> Sounds like you want to get new MBZ wheels, but offsets for the new wheels are 35mm. If the new wheels you want are 17x7 (35mm offset), then you'll need a 10 mm spacer. If the wheels are 17x7.5 (35mm offset), you might be okay without a spacer.<br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: How wide are you going?

well i dont know the exact science of the why or how of wheel spacers, i was told that they wouldnt fit. i am not sure yet which size i am putting in. i think i would like 17*7.5 or 8. will this fit? so is it that i need to add the spacing needed to match the next wheel offset? thanks. if you know of any performance mods as well let me know. thanks again

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be careful with wheel spacers

Francesco,<br> <br> Offset the distance from the center plan of the rim to the mounting surface. If you get wrong wheel spacers, the wheels will touch the chassis. That is why they said the rims wouldn't fit your car. The easiest way to get a proper set of wheel spacers is take one of your existing wheels off and measure the distance from the mounting surface to the surface of the rim that facing into the chassis. Record this measurement. Then do the same thing with your new rims. Substract the measurement from the new rims to the existing ones then you will get exact rim spacers you need.<br> <br> Another method is you have to do some calculation. Your stock rims are 7 inch width, 25mm offset. The distance from the mounting surface to the edge of tire is (7/2) x 25.4mm + 25mm = 114mm. You need 114mm to be the reference to do the calculating. If you get 7' width, just substract from the new offset to 25mm then you get the spacers thickness needed.<br> <br> For 7.5' width, take (7.5/2) x 25.4mm = 95mm, then substract 114mm - 95mm = 19mm offset. Finally, substract from the offset of 7.5' to 19mm then you will get exact spacers thickness needed.<br> <br> For 8' width, (8/2) x 25.4mm = 102mm<br> 114mm - 102mm = 12mm<br> Then substract from the offset of 8' width to 12mm, you will get the thickness of spacers.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not too many performance mods for this engine

<br> At least, not too many that I know of.<br> <br> There is no supercharger/turbo kit on the market for this engine.<br> <br> I haven't found any strut tower bars, nor have I come across front and rear sway bars.<br> <br> You can probably find springs and shocks for the car, but this car was made more for cruising than taking tight corners IMO.<br> <br> Good luck with the wheels.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Franesco,<br> I have 17'x8.5' MIM wheel, tire size 235/45/17 without the need for spacers. Tires.com is running special on MIM 18'x8.5 for $90 and free shipping. These are made for the 107 models. They look like BBS RK series.<br> Hai

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 35mm spacers on my 560sL, I put OEM 16' 500SL 15hole wheels (Hard to find).<br> Anyway, not having any problems, nothing touching fullturns, no shakes at high speed.<br> Whatever you choose for wheels, may I recommend a site to purchase 'Customer Wheel adapters'?<br> Great guys over here and will make adapters for any specifications, Top notch quality<br> <b>http://www.wheeladapter.com</b> Fred Goeski is a great guy to do business with!<br> <br> BTW, My sig has a link to pics of my SL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts