Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across an unexpected deal on 3 R129 rims. Eventually need to find a 4th one

The rim size is 16 x 8 with a 34mm offset.

Looking through this forum ideal offset for this size rim would be 11mm. I found posts about using 20mm spacers but none using 25mm spacers
I like the 25mm spacers because they bolt to the hub and the wheel would bolt to the spacer eliminating the need for long bolts.
Any concerns using 25mm spacers?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
8X16 ET34 wheels with 25 mm spacers will put the edge of the rim 28 mm further outboard than the stock 7x15 ET25 wheels. Measure your fender clearance to see if there is room to spare.
If you go with fatter tires than the stock 205, things will get tighter.

FWIW I am running 7.5x17 ET37 (no spacer) with 245 width tires. The car drives fine and looks good to me.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
15 mm spacers are optimal for those with rolled fenders and 225 50 series tires. 11mm will work if you don't put wheel weights on the inner rim. 25mm spacers and your screwed.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
JR, the referenced thread in post 4 concludes that ET11 is needed which contradicts your advice in post 3 to use 15 mm spacers (effective ET19).
Meanwhile I gave some bad info in post 2. My tires are 225 not 245.
Betcha the OP is truly confused now.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Well spacers are a pita and actually illegal in some places. JR's experience suggests you may need them for inside clearance but mine suggests you may not.
A trial fit is in order.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
JR, the referenced thread in post 4 concludes that ET11 is needed which contradicts your advice in post 3 to use 15 mm spacers (effective ET19).
Meanwhile I gave some bad info in post 2. My tires are 225 not 245.
Betcha the OP is truly confused now.
Your actually correct I started out with 15's went to 20's or 25's in the end when I noticed the rubbing on the shock towers. They are on my car now they look like 25's looking through the spokes.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Ran across an unexpected deal on 3 R129 rims. Eventually need to find a 4th one

The rim size is 16 x 8 with a 34mm offset.

Looking through this forum ideal offset for this size rim would be 11mm. I found posts about using 20mm spacers but none using 25mm spacers
I like the 25mm spacers because they bolt to the hub and the wheel would bolt to the spacer eliminating the need for long bolts.
Any concerns using 25mm spacers?
The thing I don't like about the spacers that bolt to the hub and then wheel bolts to the spacer is that if they are made of Aluminum a longer bolt should be used anyway. You will have about 12mm of bolt into the Aluminum you really should have at least 20. If you can get the spacers are made of steel this shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thing I don't like about the spacers that bolt to the hub and then wheel bolts to the spacer is that if they are made of Aluminum a longer bolt should be used anyway. You will have about 12mm of bolt into the Aluminum you really should have at least 20. If you can get the spacers are made of steel this shouldn't be a problem.
Good point, thx

·
Registered
78 Posts
A few weeks ago I sold a customer a set of refurbed R129 wheels. Due to the car being a '75 (I think) and having tapered front hubs, he had to go with the 25mm spacers. He was very happy with how they turned out. He reports no rubbing issues though he thinks the rear clearance is pretty tight. He did go with 215/55 tires to have a little thicker sidewall. So that probably helped.

The car previously had some hideous wire wheels on it. Unfortunately, I don't have a good before picture.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
macarbon_john
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing