Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching and really did not find anything here or throughout google, I also tried posting in a thread that briefly discussed this but had no luck. I want to put some wheel spacers on to give my car a little bit of a wider stance. I was thinking about 5mm because I do not want them out too much just enough for an aggressive look. Here are my questions:

1. has anyone used wheel spacers on their W204 and have any suggestions/pics?
2. I was thinking of only using them on the rear tires, is this ok, or should I use them on the front as well to give the same stance?
3. Can they be used on cars with 4matic?

I am very new to wheel spacers and appreciate any help!

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
167 Posts
I have used wheel spacers in the past (on my W203). There are two very important considerations:

1. Make sure the spacers are hub-centric and offer a hub mount for the wheel. H&R spacers offer these features.
2. Get longer wheel bolts...longer by the thickness of the spacer. Do not cheap out and not do this. The failure mode is ugly and expensive. Also, make sure the bolt seat (the part just under the hex) matches the wheel exactly.

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was looking at the 3mm and 5mm ones from H&R. I also was wondering about the longer bolts. I will contact H&R and see what they recomend for a length. I keep trying to find some pics and info about the 4 matic system, I hope using spacers doesnt mess with it. It shouldnt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wheel spacers

I have a 2007 C350 4Matic. My wife runs after market wheels and tires during the summer and we go back to OEM rims and snow tires for the winter. I bought the spacers to match the wheels and hubs. They do not seem to be a problem. It does give a wider look to it. Really like it better but she needs snows for the winter.

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2007 C350 4Matic. My wife runs after market wheels and tires during the summer and we go back to OEM rims and snow tires for the winter. I bought the spacers to match the wheels and hubs. They do not seem to be a problem. It does give a wider look to it. Really like it better but she needs snows for the winter.
what size spacers do you use?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spacers

I do NOT know the exact mm but if I remember the MB called for 65.6 mm and the rims were 73 mm so my best guess they are around 7 mm or so. Sorry I could not be more specific and she is visiting her sister or I would pull a wheel and check.

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, you dont have to go to any trouble, I think my idea to go with 5 mm will work just fine. I can get some H&R's for about $50 a set, so $100 total should work alright.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
167 Posts
I have used wheel spacers in the past (on my W203). There are two very important considerations:

1. Make sure the spacers are hub-centric and offer a hub mount for the wheel. H&R spacers offer these features.
2. Get longer wheel bolts...longer by the thickness of the spacer. Do not cheap out and not do this. The failure mode is ugly and expensive. Also, make sure the bolt seat (the part just under the hex) matches the wheel exactly.
I hate to re-post, but #2 above is of vital importance. $50 spacers will likely not include longer bolts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spacers

I do disagree BUT I do not have the technical experience to explain why this is true. I did use the longer bolts because I was told to. Would you please explain why this critical? Thanks.

PS This issue has also come up on the Crossfire forum but nobody seems to explain the criticality of this requirement.

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I completely agree. I am not about to cut any corners with this thats why I am asking so many questions. I want to make sure I get the right spacers and bolts. I wish someone had a great setup already in which they could share with me the exact size spacers and bolts so I knew what to order. H&R should know though... I hope

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spacers

When I ordered the rims I was told I needed spacers and bolts so I bought them. Honestly, I did not know if I did the correct thing. I just followed the advice of the sales person. I had never put a set of after market wheels on a car so who was I to question the need for those bolts. Honestly, I think some people could think they were up selling you and say no without understanding the issue.

The knowledge of why those are critical may help future people ask for them if the salesperson does not offer them.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
167 Posts
OK, the spacers space. That is what they do. They add space between the mounting hub and the wheel. The stock distance between the mounting hub and the wheel is zero. The spacer will add to that distance. The wheel bolts that hold the wheel to the hub will now have to also go through the spacer.

Now, the stock wheel bolts with the stock setup have, let's say, 10 threads engaged in the hub to hold the wheel on. If a spacer is present, the number of threads is reduced by the thickness of the spacer. Let's say the bolts now have 3 threads of engagement after spacers are added. The stress on each thread is now triple its design strength. This is just a made-up example, but it makes the point.

Needless to say, if the wheel bolts pull out and the wheel falls off around a hard corner it is both dangerous and amazingly expensive.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,967 Posts
A even simpler explanation : you drive a 3" nail into the wall, you have 3" into it. You drive the same 3" nail through a 2x4 before the wall, you only have 1" in the wall. Think of the 2x4 as the spacer.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
167 Posts
An easy way to measure a bolt is to just remove one. No need to jack the car up or anything...the other 4 will hold the wheel on just fine sitting there in your garage.

Remember to torque it back to spec with a torque wrench when you put it back on! (96 ft-lb = 130Nm)

·
Registered
2008 C350 and a Lightning.
161 Posts
I do disagree BUT I do not have the technical experience to explain why this is true. I did use the longer bolts because I was told to. Would you please explain why this critical? Thanks.

PS This issue has also come up on the Crossfire forum but nobody seems to explain the criticality of this requirement.
Common sense would dictate that you want to have the same amount of threads holding your wheels on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I tried searching and really did not find anything here or throughout google, I also tried posting in a thread that briefly discussed this but had no luck. I want to put some wheel spacers on to give my car a little bit of a wider stance. I was thinking about 5mm because I do not want them out too much just enough for an aggressive look. Here are my questions:

1. has anyone used wheel spacers on their W204 and have any suggestions/pics?
2. I was thinking of only using them on the rear tires, is this ok, or should I use them on the front as well to give the same stance?
3. Can they be used on cars with 4matic?

I am very new to wheel spacers and appreciate any help!
You're in luck. I have a lot of spacer experience and you can drive right to Norton, Ohio to get some. I had 10mm spacers on the rear wheels. They stuck out a little too far. I am going to lower my car and the tires would have rubbed the inner fenders, so I switched. I now have 5mm spacers installed. They are perfect. You definitely need longer lug bolts for 5 and 10mm spacers. Because the bolts are load-bearing,
you must have 7 turns into the hub.

Here is an application chart from the only spacer manufacturer I use:

http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguide.php?Mode=Application+Guide&SubMode=Find2&Year=2008&ModelID=538&q=2008%20|%20MERCEDES-BENZ%20|%20C300

And all you have to do to get the spacers and lugs is contact ECS Tuning ::OEM / Performance Parts for Volkswagen :: FrontPage

I already worked out the details with them when I bought my sets, so they know what to sell you. You must emphasize W204, 2008 and up.

You shouldn't have problem with 4matic with just 5mm spacers. Give it a try.

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DerSpeed

Thank you very much for the info. I will go with the 5mm in the back and probably the 3mm in the front. a few more questions though, when I am on the ECS website they only list audi, bmw, and VW so I assume they had to order them as opposed to having them in stock? did you use 5mm in the front too? any pics available? sorry for all of the questions but this is great info and its great that I can just drive right out and pick them up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.