Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
SL500
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to put 44mm off set wheels on my 25mm off set car. I am planning to use a 20mm wheel spacer to be able to do it. Do you know if it's even possible to do? If so, what are the risks? Plase help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Spacers

While most people shy away from spacers, from my experience good quality spacers with proper bolts have never cause any problems. On my 129 I am using H&R 25mm bolt on spacers front and rear with AMG 8.5x19 et44 (245/35) front and 9.5x19et46 (275/30) rear. I have not lowered my car so I only have slight rubbing on full compression in the rear after "rolling" the fender lips. Personally I prefer the bolt on style as you don't need to mess with longer bolts and lining up the spacers when installing your wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Spacers

While most people shy away from spacers, from my experience good quality spacers with proper bolts have never cause any problems. On my 129 I am using H&R 25mm bolt on spacers front and rear with AMG 8.5x19 et44 (245/35) front and 9.5x19et46 (275/30) rear. I have not lowered my car so I only have slight rubbing on full compression in the rear after "rolling" the fender lips. Personally I prefer the bolt on style as you don't need to mess with longer bolts and lining up the spacers when installing your wheels.
Edon, how do you "roll" the fender lips? Tnx

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rolling fenders

Rolling usually refers to flattening the lip under your fenders, just to give the tires slightly more clearance. Used to be a old muscle car trick - jam a baseball bat between your fender and tire then drive roll foward. Nowdays, most people use a tool that bolts onto the hub (wheel removed) and has a roller with adjustable tension that pushes up on the fender. To minimize paint damage, you use a heat gun to slightly warm the paint, making it "flexable". I am told you can rent the tool from Tire Rack (never looked into it). If you do not have access to one of these, you could just warm the paint then use a rubber hammer/mallet and gently tap the fender lip.
Either way, there is a chance of paint damage/cracking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts