Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E300TD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys quick question I have a 99 e300, I have looked all around but am still sort of confused. I am looking to buy a set of AMG wheels/tires the specs are:
fronts: 7 1/2 X 17 et 35, tire 225/45
Rear: 8 1/2 X 17 et 31, tire 245/40

Is this going to fit ok in the front? I thought usually the offset is smaller in the front than the rear? I think the seller has an unstaggered set as well, is there any pro/con to staggered wheels on this car?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
There is a pretty exhaustive thread in the stickies about wheel and tire fitment. The only con I see is you can't rotate the tires in the conventional manner.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
I did drive on wheels that had ET within 2 mm from the above and they fit just fine. Did not like the 17" ride on bumpy California roads.
Putting 245 tires on diesel is overkill IMHO, but to each of his own.
The critical point is suspension bolt on front. Put the front wheel on and see how much clearance it will have.

·
Registered
1999 E300TD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well this is what the tire calculator said the change will be for the fronts:

The clearance from stut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 6mm MORE
The outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 6mm

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
well this is what the tire calculator said the change will be for the fronts:

The clearance from stut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 6mm MORE
The outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 6mm
What tire calculator?
The ET for front will push the rim 4 mm under the car plus add 5 mm extra for tire width. This is all nominal, not actuall calculation but pushing the tire wall 9 mm closer to the bolt is not making good predictions.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
What tire calculator?
The ET for front will push the rim 4 mm under the car plus add 5 mm extra for tire width. This is all nominal, not actuall calculation but pushing the tire wall 9 mm closer to the bolt is not making good predictions.
if the offset of the wheel is lower than the OE ET (as issued from the factory)
it's going to be pushing the rim away from the car...away from the bolt, yes?

·
Registered
1999 E300TD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
btw the seller is offering the 4 wheels with tires (90% remaining on the front and 45% on the rears) for $650. michellin and continentals...good deal? The staggered set is in very good condition...the un staggered set has some curb rash...

This guy lives in LA i live 2 drive north, planning on driving down tomorrow AM, trying to figure this out tonight HA!

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
Wheel Offset Calculator

it was in the stickies. Only the front suspension bolt is the problem? also if it helps the wheels were supposedly on an e329 and a c36 amg, w202 model...
When I enter the 45 offset vs 41 original the conclusion says
"The clearance from stut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 17mm LESS
The outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 9mm"
And again -generic calculation and real calculations have big margin for differences.

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
btw the seller is offering the 4 wheels with tires (90% remaining on the front and 45% on the rears) for $650. michellin and continentals...good deal? The staggered set is in very good condition...the un staggered set has some curb rash...

This guy lives in LA i live 2 drive north, planning on driving down tomorrow AM, trying to figure this out tonight HA!
That is total BS. OEM wheels with good tires sell for less than $300 as too many owners put 20-24" wheels on those cars.

·
Registered
1999 E300TD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1999 E300TD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI guys bought the tires/wheels unstaggered, put them on this weekend and they fit fine. 17" with continental contact pro tires and the ride is better than with my other wheels at 16". Although those wheels are getting poor reviews on tirerack...

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
My Conti Pro Contacts wore out in less than 20,000 miles and I probably wrote one of the bad reviews on TR. They were quiet and rode well, they were just too soft. I am not happy with my BF Goodrich Traction T/A either but there is too much tread left to ditch them quite yet. Next time around I'm going with Michelin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
FYI guys bought the tires/wheels unstaggered, put them on this weekend and they fit fine. 17" with continental contact pro tires and the ride is better than with my other wheels at 16". Although those wheels are getting poor reviews on tirerack...
Can you post a pic? I'm looking at the same setup. Considering staggered vs non-staggered - not sure the staggered will fit on the rear, will push outside edge of tire out almost 1" and don't think there is that much room for clearance.

Thanks

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Can you post a pic? I'm looking at the same setup. Considering staggered vs non-staggered - not sure the staggered will fit on the rear, will push outside edge of tire out almost 1" and don't think there is that much room for clearance.

Thanks
If you buy the staggered setup from a reputable supplier they will fit fine. The offset is different in the rear. (If you look in the stickies the AMG wheel dimensions are there.)

The biggest drawback to staggered setups is that you can't rotate the tires. And unless you are a track day guy or a canyon carver, you won't ever notice a difference anyway; it's really more about "the look."

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks
Everything fits fine and looks great. Went with the 17" staggered setup 7.5's on the front and 8.5's on the rear. Was looking at two online sources for reconditioned wheels but the local Discount Tire beat their prices by a long shot and the wheels are OEM reconditioned/ like new with full warranty and no shipping.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts