Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 560sel/87 420sel
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if wheels from a 2003 S500 would
fit on my 87 420SEL and would I need spacers.
Thanks, Chuck.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,108 Posts
I think the wheels of a W220 class have an offset (ET) of 44.

You will want something with an offset of less than 25.

You'll need spacers.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
if you insist on using wheels that require spacers, get the good ones..

gilracing makes the Only ones I would consider using.

Jonatahn

·
Registered
89 560sel/87 420sel
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Jonathon, I saw some reasonable wheels on ebay,
and was just wondering if they would need spacers.
I really dont want wheels that need spacers and
am thinking about some stock wheels that are chrome.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
That big of a difference in offset would require hubcentric spacers and is not nearly woth the trouble.

G

·
0 Posts
I don't want to steer this thread too far off track, but on the subject of offset, I've always wondered why everyone says 25mm "or less". It's the "or less" part that bothers me a little.

I'm thinking about going to 16" or 17" wheels on my 1989 420SEL, and naturally would go wider on the tire. There's some aftermarket monoblock aero II replicas for sale on e-bay all the time with 13mm offset.

At 13mm, you're pushing the wheel out 12mm, so you should be avoiding any inside clearance issues. However, push the wheel out 12mm, then add another 15mm if I were to go to a 235/45-17 tire, and now the outer edge of my tire is 27mm closer to the fender. Lower things a bit with some H&R springs, and aren't you asking for something to rub?

I've heard about some rubbing issues, but not too extensively. I know the wheel offset subject has been beaten to death on this forum over time, but any general opinions/explanations on outer clearance would be appreciated, as well as any specific opinions on 13mm offset with 235/45-17's would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1989 MB 560 SEC
220 Posts
After going through all of this recently, my suggestion would be tirerack.com. I just bought BBS 18 x 8s with Pirelli P-Zero 245/40 tires and the H&R springs. According to Clay @ tirerack, with the spacers they provided, there won't be any rubbing. I think the key is the spacers. The offsets change, depending on which wheel you use. It's the spacers that get everything centered correctly. And tirerack is very closed-mouthed about the spacers. When you buy from them, they provide spacers, longer wheel mounting bolts, and in my case the tires came mounted and balanced, all at no extra cost.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Offset means absolutely NOTHING without considering the WIDTH of the wheel. The two need to be considered together. If two wheels have the same ET number but one is 7.5" and the other 8" then you have a 1/2inch difference -which can be enough to cause plenty of damage. If the width of the wheel increases, then generally the ET should be decreasing.

Also the offset is the measurement from the hub face to the centre line of the rim, not the wheel edge. If the hub face extends beyond the centre of the rim towards the inner wheel arch, then it is a negative offset (as seen on some trucks and Widebody MB's such as W126 SEC's which had 10" rear tyres with an ET of -12.7 !). But with standard MB's the offset is always positive as the hub face does not extend beyond the centre point of the rim.

With the w126, stock MB wheels were 7.5J with an offset of e25. But MB's original stock size sits deep inside the arch. AMG's take on wheels for our w126 were of the following dimensions :

8J x 16 e11 (5-spoke)
8J x 17 e11 (Aero I)
8.5J x 17 e18 (3-piece Aero)
10J x 17 e17 (3-piece Aero) Rear only
9J x 16 e0 (5 spoke) Rear only
10J x 16 e-12.7 (5 spoke) Rear widebody only
9J x 16 e0 (5 spoke) Front widebody only

An 8" wheel with e11 won't cause problems on a w126 unless it has been very aggresively lowered. But there is so much room in those arches, so the lower the offset number the better.

IF you buy original MB wheels, then bolts will not be a problem. All MB bolts (at least for models upto 1999) have a shaft length of 40mm. However, wheels from the S-class W140 models have a bigger diameter bolt, 14mm, whereas W124/w126/r107/r129 have 12mm diameter bolts. It's when you fit aftermarket wheels that bolts become an issue - too long and they foul the handbrake shoes on the rear.

Spacers- avoid on the fronts if you can and only ever use spacers TUV approved for front usage (otherwise it'll invalidate any insurance).

Wheels which are the wrong offset/width combination can lead to rubbing on arches (inner or outer), hitting the inner track rods on turning, or not provide adequate clearance from the brake calipers.

G

·
0 Posts
Fantastic explanation of the relationship between wheel width and offset! Thanks Talbir.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

This expanation helps me ab bit as I'm a real dummy on this topic.

Somebody is offering me a set of 18inc AMG wheels for my 1986 560SEC.

The offset is 25 and the rimm widths ae 8.5J and10J for the rears.

If I understand corrrectly they won't fit as I probably wont have a 1.5 inch of extra "outer" clearence in the weelarch / fender.

Thanks for you opinion on this.

regards, Patrick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks,

But this confuses me again.

The table mentioned above that an AMG rim of 17inch and a width of 10J with an offset of 17 will fit mij car.

But when I enter it in your excellent calculater that on tells me that the outer rim will poke out 43mm more than my current rim. And I'm pretty sure that I have not more than 25mm to spare before it will rubb the wheel arch.

With kind regards,

patrick

·
Premium Member
62,652 Posts

I'm no wheel expert at all, thus the reason I use that calculator. :eek:

But going from 7.5 to 10s is going to create some problems and that's why people roll their fenders, a phenomenon I was not aware of until I joined this forum. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts