Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 Coupe
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of 18x8.5 Lorinser LM5 with 245/40 r18 tires. I put them on and i tried to move the car and it seemed stuck. i think the fronts are touching the control arm but the rears look to be totally clear, maybe the lug nuts are too long and are hitting the parking brake in the rotor hat? Does anyone have any experience with this issue? am i going to have to put spacers on all four wheels or just use different lug nuts? where can i get what is necessary for these wheels to fit?

·
Registered
190e 2.3l-16v
230 Posts
If the bolts are too long when you drive you will hear a quite noticebale clicking sound noise. You have to get shorter lug bolts.

Now, to me it sounds like someone may of sold you the wrong offset wheels??? I would call the shop that sold you the wheels and ask their advice, OR if you bought them online, I hoped you checked out the offset before purchasing wheels off ebay or maybe used from a forum.

Offset is extremely important especially if buying second hand where its almost impossible to return.

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 Coupe
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear wheels make a clicking noise when you turn them so i guess the lug nuts are too long but the front wheels do not make a noise. I think the offset is +38mm I was told that these wheels will fit the w208 though.

·
Registered
Slow benz
1,961 Posts
I have experience with this. On my old 300E After I put the rims on and was ready to drive off the car wouldn't move. Turns out the lugs in the REAR were too long and going into the hub and preventing the wheel from turning. So I cut the lugs[:D]! And now it fits. I dont know if this is what your supposed to do but it works. And come out to the meet tonight at 6:00PM at starbucks in rockville (look for the benzes). Its great weather today!

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 Coupe
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey blackbenzz i will try and be there can you give me directions? I'm not too familiar with rockville. I used shorter lug nuts in the back and they work now but the front tires are still hitting the control arms. I assume I am going to need spacers. anyone know if a 5mm H&R spacer would work? WOuld i have to change the lugs out again?

·
Registered
Slow benz
1,961 Posts
Directions? Hmmmmm. Take 495 to 270 and take the Montrose rd exit. Only problem is I cant remember in what direction it is. Anyway, I think its the first montrose exit coming from VA. Then go straight til you hit 355. Take a left onto 355. You will see a shopping center on your right (starbucks, Sports Authority, Barnes and Nobles, Timpano's, etc.) I have pm'd you my cell # so call me if you get lost or something.

·
Registered
190e 2.3l-16v
230 Posts
I had similar problem, i put some 05 E55 AMG wheels on my 01 CLK55. The rear bolts were too long. $10 later and shorter bolts prob solved. With the spacer its trial and error. I would try a 5mm spacer, see what happens.

Lke we say in SOCAL, make em fit!

GOod luck!

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 Coupe
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help guys i'll let you know what happens when i get the spacers. nice meeting you yesterday blackbenzz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts