Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on new wheels for my CLk. What does the wheel offset mean and how do I know if a wheel will fit?[8)]

·
Registered
2007 ML350 Sport
142 Posts
I'm planning on new wheels for my CLk. What does the wheel offset mean and how do I know if a wheel will fit?[8)]

Wheel selection for Mercedes is very limited.
The offset is the measurement from the inside hub to the inside of the rim. Changing wheels can be complicated. Many have put 18�, 19" and 20" wheels on their car and live with the slight annoyances that they cause.

If your stock wheels are 17� going to a larger diameter is called Plus size.
Plus 1 means that you have increased the outer diameter 1 inch
Plus 2 two inches, you have increased the outer diameter 2 inch and so on.

The tire rack has a good online calculator.

If you plan to lower your car lower it first then pick the wheel size.
If you go any larger than Plus 1 you most likely have to modify the car somewhat.
For instance rolling the finders, or changing the spring pads.

The best thing to do is educate yourself so you know exactly what you are getting yourself into. It’s really not that much information unless you decide to go to the extreme. That’s when the problems start.
Best of luck to you,
Tim

·
Registered
'99 CLK320
30 Posts
Does changing the rim/tire size affect the odometer readings?...

Does changing the rim/tire size affect the odometer readings?

·
Registered
2007 ML350 Sport
142 Posts
Re: Does changing the rim/tire size affect the odometer readings?...

Does changing the rim/tire size affect the odometer readings?
It can!
It all depends on the change in tire size. If you are able to stay at the same over all diameter of tire then nothing changes. But if you change the diameter than there will be a possible change in your ESP and Odometer.
For example if you change the over all tire height by one inch the ESP may sense a difference in tire rotation speed between the front and rear and may activate to early which would be an annoyance.
Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts