Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple weird sounds from my 1991 Merc 190e 2.3 wheels:

1. There is this annoying squeal coming from my PASSENGER SIDE rear wheel. The noise can be heard any time the car moves. At high speeds it is much less audible. I've already visually inspected the brake pads and rotor and they appear fine.

2. On the passenger side front wheel a few months back i replaced the pads and rotor (i didnt replace the driver's side since it looked fine). The car ran fine until now i am hearing a thump-thump-thump coming from the wheel whenever i brake from a high speed. The brake pedal feels fine.

Regarding #1, the rear wheel, I attempted to remove the rotor completely but it wont budge. I tried anti-rust solutions, a rubber mallet, even a pulling claw. The rotor is locked in there. I'm not certain but i think the Emergency Brake could be the culprit; I've tried engaging /disengaging and either case the wheel spins . I'm wondering if something broke and the e-brake is somehow locking the rotor in place? Unless i can remove the rotor i dont think i can conclusively determine what is causing the squeal -- possibly the back plate?

How would u suggest i go about removing this rear stubborn rotor in order to determine what is causing the squealing noise from this wheel? How do i determine if the e-brake is causing the jam?

What could be causing the thumping noise coming from the front wheel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
Firstly, my rear rotors looked OK and the pads were not too old, but I started hearing a noise in the LR wheel. As far a the rear brake noise goes...last winter I had to pull off my LR rotor and clean out all the built up rust inside the rotor for the E-Brake shoes. It worked and was quiet after I was done but it just bought me time untill I could do a complete brake job.
I ordered all new rotors, pads, screws and E-Brake shoes.
I struggled getting off the RR rotor because of the greater rust build up inside the rotor surface for the E-brake.
Rubber mallet?...I used a BF hammer and got it off but ruined one of the E-Shoe mounting clips.
I had to order the E-shoe mounting kit and my car sat for another week waiting for those parts.
I just wanted to warn you that if you think you will be destroying stuff taking off the rotors, and the E-Brakes are not working... maybe pre order parts, unless you can spare having the car down and then order parts.
The only thing I can say about the front wheel is jack it up and check to see if everything is tight and looks ok.

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
CORRECTION

I said the front wheel is "thumping". Actually the sound is a "paddling" sound similar to when we used to place baseball cards in our bicycle tires. The sound can be heard when braking from a decent velocity.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Did you check your tie rod? Jack your front end up and see if you can get some play on your front tires. You will hear noises if something is bad. I had that thumping sound and it was my tie rod. People blamed my tires, my alignment, etc.

To remove rust discs...use a real metal hammer and tap outwards. Rubber mallet wont do you any good when you are trying to break apart the rust bonds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts