Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL55
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 SL55 - 6500 miles. I am the 2nd owner and expect to put maybe 4K a year on the car. I am ready to put on new tires so I wanted to removed my wheels to give them a good cleaning. At my present usage it will be a very long time before I will need a brake job.

First problem was getting the wheels off. The wheels were stuck solid. The wheel bolts looked good and had very little corrosion. Once I wrestled the wheels off I saw why the wheels were stuck. The steel wheel hub is a tight fit into the center hole of the aluminum wheel. The hubs are not painted or plated. The hubs had corroded like crazy in part due to being in contact with the aluminum wheel. I spent a lot of time removing the corrosion from the hubs.

My main question is how hard will it be to remove my brake rotors if as expected it will be a number of years before I need one? I tried to break one of the front rotors loose. I did not remove the caliper but I did remove the small trox screw. I was afraid to damage the rotor or my bearings so I did not want to nail it too hard. I hit the inner edge of the rotor witha sledge multiple times. The rotor did not budge. Should I remove the calipers and rotors now and use some type of barrier coat betwen the two to ease future work?

·
Registered
930 Posts
no, youre wasting your time now because it will be at least 30k mi before you need to replace anything
If you want to do something more constructive, take the wheels off every month or two and wash everything out. Brakes, hubs, wheels, to keep them clean and free.
Clean or grind the hubs w/ a wire wheel to get the corrosion off and put a light coat of anti seeze on them.

·
Registered
2004 SL55
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you believe in the future I be able to remove the rotors without damaging the bearings and hubs?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts