Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2000 clk 320 about 3 weeks ago and seem to have problems with what seems like wheel balancing? The car has been lowered with blue H & R springs. The wheels are Brabus 19" monoblock iv 2 piece. I purchased 2 new Toyo Proxie T1-s 265-30-19.
I did this because I thought there was a problem with the Yokohama a008 tires that maybe had 5K miles left were causing the problem of the wheels not being balanced. I took it to discount tire and explained that I thought the car needed a four wheel balance. He proceeded to balance all four tires and said it should solve the problem. No luck. I took it on the road and got the shake-vibration after 45-55 mph. It seems to come and go at times. There will be periods of driving where everthing seems ok....then the shake starts again? When I purchased the new tires in the rear, it seemed to help a little but the shake still was present from time to time. I am waitng for the front tries to come in from being ordered but am really confused at what is going on. I know that the wheels seem to be good. Is there somthing else I should be looking at? PLEASE HELP. I can't enjoy this car with the annoying shake!

·
Registered
2002 CLK-430
166 Posts
I had a similar problem in the past with another car, not CLK, and after taking it to various places I finally found a shop that I guess knew what they were doing and told me that one of my rims was slightly bent. They balanced as best as possible but until I replaced the rim, I was not able to get rid of it.

·
Registered
clk
198 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my car also. Mine shakes around 60mphs. I haven't changed my tires yet. Could everyone tires be going bad? I have the H&R springs too.[?]

·
Registered
CLK430
261 Posts
Have the dealer or whomever check to see if the rim is out of round (bent), that is what it sounds like to me, ecspecially if you just had them balanced.

·
Registered
190e 2.3l-16v
230 Posts
lowered CLKs, running 19's will have a lot of road feedback. Unless the pavement is super smooth you will always have gripes like this running this set up.

·
Registered
2002 CLK-430
166 Posts
I have no gripes and I am runing 19's I originally had a vibration at 60MPH but took back and they found front rims were not balanced correctly. They rebalanced and all great. However, I agree that uneven roads are felt more than with 17s. But I have absolutely no vibration after balancing.

·
Registered
1999 CLK 320
149 Posts
The problem is most likely in the tire balance. Take the car to a really knowledgeable alignment shop and tell them to balance and shave all four tires. Most tires are not perfectly round, even new tires, and a good tire shop has the equipment to slightly shave the out-of-round spots in the tires. This does reduce some of your tread however, but only in places... You will notce a BIG difference...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts