Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 E320 Sportline sedan 86 190E 2.3 16V sedan 04 S430 Sport
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings great and wonderful MB lovers. I have a frustrating question and was told that there is a "wheel chart" out here in this forum somewhere however I have yet to locate it. I want to see what other factory rims will work on my car, preferably still in the 15" size.

Ok, so I want to change out my factory "eight hole" rims for something along the lines of the older "five slot" AMG rims. I have factory 15x7's (due to Sportline package) and just put new Pirelli's on the car like 2K miles ago. So I do not want a full rim and tire swap, just a rim upgrade.

So there is a wheel shop in Houston TX (three hour drive one-way) that had a set of the AMG's I like that came off of a 1995-97 C-series (wheel #65202). Through several email communications the shop said that these wheels would work on my 94 E320 so I took today off to go down and swap these rims. Well low and behold the rims would not work as the AMG ones when mounted up pinched up against the brake caliper. They wanted to use spacers (NOT) AND we would have had to use these longer lug bolts that were not finished on the bolt heads and looked like garbage. So he did have 16 and 17" MB wheels that would mount up and not pinch the caliper, but I just can not justify doing another set of new tires just yet... so I enjoyed 6 hours of driving my favorite ride...... guess it was not a complete waste of a day. :)

So my questions is, where is this mystical wheel chart and/or what rims have any of you W124 owners exchanged for that works?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,669 Posts
You have limited choices when it comes to up-grades in 15" rims. The problem you encountered is common, as many "wheel" places don't realize that the brake package on Sportlines are much larger. TireRack and Discount Tire both have a virtual selection feature that shows selected wheels on the car (sedan) and both know what will or wont' fit.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
This chart indicates the available OEM and some aftermarket tuner wheels.

Find what you have and you will see the width and offset.
Easy then to compare to other Merc OEM wheels.
Keep in mind that later cars used a M14x1.5 lug bolt whereas you have a M12x1.5 lug bolt.

Spacers are fine if you use quaility such as the H&R "DRA" style.

Mercedes AMG BMW new used & refurbished alloy wheels & tyres, UK wheel alloys

1 - 3 of 3 Posts