Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1992 190E 2.3
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the standard chrome MB wheel covers for my 92 190e. There is a round plastic part with the MB star that goes into the center of each wheel cover.

On one of my wheels this center part keeps falling out - and on another wheel this part is loose. It seems tight in my other two wheels.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a trick to keeping these things in?

thanks...

· Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,570 Posts
Center Caps

The clips that hold the caps tight against the wheel are plastic. The plastice gets hot and cold with the weather and the wheel temperature. As the plastic ages, the clips lose their strength. There are several replacement styles. My favorite--the MB logo in blue and silver. It really dresses up the wheel. You might check performanceproducts.com or E-bay for availabitiy.

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Sounds like bad clips

Hi,
My friend just replaced his with the ones mentionned above. He went to the dealership and paid something like $15-17 per center cap./
the look pretty neat, can't really see the difference until you're right infront of the car.

· Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,798 Posts
There should be a wire spring clip on the inside of the plastic "legs"....

of the center cap. The spring helps the plastic legs keep their tension and location on the wheels. If yo like the caps you have, try poping out the spring and gently spreading it open a little, then reinstall the spring and the cap.
There are four styles of caps that you can select from if you want to upgrade, The Benz Laurel in eather blue or black, and the AMG Tri-Star with or without chrome accented star and ring.
If you belong to MBCA you should be able to get a 10% discount at your local dealer on the caps. I just bought a set of chrome accented caps for the SLK 32 wheels I put on my 190 - 16 valve, they look good.
[:p]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.