Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the wheel center caps all the same size?

I bought some new rims which came with blank caps. When I tried to install the caps from the SL, they didn't seem to fit, and even if they did, it appeared they wouldn't look "right".

·
Registered
1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
7,563 Posts
Ooh, what did you buy? Got some pics?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought painted 15" wheels and tires from tire rack. I think they look pretty good. I'll take some pics when we get another dry afternoon.

I was impressed at how quickly they filled the order and got them to me. Finally got around to ordering late Sunday night, and they were sitting here yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon when I got home. Of course they're only 450+/- miles away from me.

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
If your original caps are the ones on the bundts in your avatar photo, then they are made to really only fit (and suit) the bundt wheels.

Do an ebay search, there are a heaps of centre caps out there to go on your new wheels, in a mix of styles.

measure the diameter first (I'm guessing maybe 75mm).

Let us know how you go.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your original caps are the ones on the bundts in your avatar photo, then they are made to really only fit (and suit) the bundt wheels.

Do an ebay search, there are a heaps of centre caps out there to go on your new wheels, in a mix of styles.

measure the diameter first (I'm guessing maybe 75mm).

Let us know how you go.
You are exactly right... 75mm. I'll try to pick up a set sometime soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,230 Posts
Be aware that the pre-'86 caps (bundts) sort of fit on top of the hub hole and the post-'85 caps fit "in" the hole. They are NOT interchangeable. Most of the ones you see on eBay are post-'85. The original Bundt caps were metal, but I have chrome plastic ones and they are of pretty good quality.

·
Registered
'76 450 SL
63 Posts
I bought painted 15" wheels and tires from tire rack. I think they look pretty good. I'll take some pics when we get another dry afternoon.

I was impressed at how quickly they filled the order and got them to me. Finally got around to ordering late Sunday night, and they were sitting here yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon when I got home. Of course they're only 450+/- miles away from me.
Probably the same wheels I was looking at - except I keep thinking that the chrome ones would look much better on my dark brown car. I was wondering about the wheel centers myself.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Look something like this??:bowdown:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
WTF??
I copied the picture that showed the rims you bought on this car!!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be taking pics either this evening or tomorrow. Sunny and sixties tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Followed by freezing temps and possible snow the first of the week. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I'll be taking pics either this evening or tomorrow. Sunny and sixties tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Followed by freezing temps and possible snow the first of the week. :crybaby2:
Definitely, as I like the way they looked at the tire rack site and would like to see them on the actual car. They have that feature that allows you to see the rims on the car - definitely a good selling point there! That is what I tried to copy and paste over here, but it must be a photoshop thing that, if you copy it, it just sees the underlying photo.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These aren't the best pics, but you can see how they look.

Attachments

·
Registered
'76 450 SL
63 Posts
These aren't the best pics, but you can see how they look.
They look great - I think I'm going to get the same wheels in chrome for mine when it gets a little farther along the restoration path.

It's nice to know that an aftermarket wheel manufacturer is making wheels in a plus size that look just like the stock wheels.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Those are really nice! No centercaps, though? Or are you still working on those?
And is that a rollbar on your car??

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are really nice! No centercaps, though? Or are you still working on those?
And is that a rollbar on your car??

I'll get the caps some day. Since prying those out might scratch the paint, I'll probably not worry until I'm planning on removing wheels for another project. (Yeah, I know I'm lazy)

It's a windscreen which, I might add, my wife loves. :D

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
I'll get the caps some day. Since prying those out might scratch the paint, I'll probably not worry until I'm planning on removing wheels for another project. (Yeah, I know I'm lazy)

It's a windscreen which, I might add, my wife loves. :D
Don't pry them out, push them out from the inside.

·
Registered
'76 450 SL
63 Posts
I've had nothing but outstanding service from Tire Rack. They've supplied tires and wheels for many of my previous projects and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.

To obtain maximum joy, order tires and wheels as a set. The people who mount and balance the tires know what they're doing and when FedEx drops off your mounted tires and you bolt them on they're perfectly balanced.

I don't know what they do differently from the average tire store but you can definitely feel the difference.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've had nothing but outstanding service from Tire Rack. They've supplied tires and wheels for many of my previous projects and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.

To obtain maximum joy, order tires and wheels as a set. The people who mount and balance the tires know what they're doing and when FedEx drops off your mounted tires and you bolt them on they're perfectly balanced.

I don't know what they do differently from the average tire store but you can definitely feel the difference.
My first experience with them, but I'm quite pleased and, as you said, they seem perfectly balanced.

Don't pry them out, push them out from the inside.
My point of not worrying until I'm pulling the wheels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts