Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Coupe with 155000km
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'invested' in the workshop manual (also advertised on these pages) but, although it has everything and more (all the warnings about imminent death if care is not taken) I cannot find a most basic thing - the wheel alignment.

ie Do the front wheels have to be pressed out by x Newtons and what is the actual angle of toe in (degrees) and what is the castor and camber angles. Also the same figures for the rear suspension.

I would like to check all the above before getting new tyres so would appreciate if someone has these figures.

Many thanks!

By the way we had a day of 38 degrees C today so I am relaxing with a cold Scotch and please excuse any errors above :>)

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,643 Posts
Hi ,,I recommend you take it to a tyre shop which has computerised wheel alignment equipment,,,get your new tyres fitted and have them do a four wheel alignment...they need an M12 spline to adjust the rear.
All they can adjust is toe in ,,,everything else should be correct if your suspension bushings are in good shape. Front upper control arm bushings would need replacing after 155,000 km.
My experience is that most CLK's will tend to follow the road camber ,,and will only track straight when on a perfectly level road side to side..
The specs I have ,,not certain they are correct,,,
Front ,,,individual toe in plus 0.4mm. , camber ,,,+00.02' , caster +09.49'

Rear ,,individual toe in +2.1mm , camber ,,,-00.44'

Enjoy the warm weather ,,,better than freezing...

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Coupe with 155000km
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Benzyle, I will check what my car's settings are as it is tracking very well in most road cambers and the well worn tyres are wearing evenly...

Earlier this year we spent a couple of months in Australia. We have 3 daughters (and about 1/2 a dozen grandchildren) in Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne. Sue in Brisbane stays in Margate suburb. I spent a week with her and Justine and it was a LOT warmer there than Victoria or South Australia...

Best wishes

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,643 Posts
Hi Clive ,,
I have known quite a few people from SA and they are all wonderful people ,,,pleasant and humorous,,good to have them here..
Yes ,,Melbourne and S,Aus ,,get more extreme weather ,,cold fronts from the southern ocean ,,or hot winds from central Australia,,,,up near Brisbane is much nicer..

If your car is tracking very well and the tyres are wearing evenly then I would not let anyone touch it ,,,more than likely they will muck it up.

I try and keep my cars away from shops as much as possible ,,,there have been many cases of shoddy 'mechanics' causing more trouble than they fix.

Enjoy your next Scotch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts