Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
GL450
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the standard 18" wheels. I want to replace them.

Please share yours (brand and size) as well as the tire size that goes with it. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
525 Posts
My '08 came with 19" wheels stock and Continental tires. I had a lot of hydroplaning issues with the 19" Contis and only got 19,000 mi. I changed to M-B stock 18" wheels and Michelin Latitude [265-60-18] tires, hydroplaning issues went away and I have over 30,000 mi on the Latitudes. (just got 2 used Michelin Cross Terrain tires for the rear because one of the Latituderears had a chunk of lead balance weight through the tire (not patchable) and the other tire was down to the wear bars. Fronts are still OK to drive on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My GL 450 has the factory Contis and I have 23K miles and due for a replacement. I called the dealer and he recommended I try the Michelein Latitude. I'd be happy if I get 30K miles as I found 23K a bit low.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
You're best off with the 18s you have.

Larger wheels are nothing but cosmetics and in addition

cost more
traction is reduced
fuel economy is reduced
ride quality and wheel protection is reduced.

In addition, the 18s are about at the limit of what most people can work with in terms of weight when, for example, changing a tire, and the larger wheels will only make this more difficult.

You--like me and everyone else--are not Sebastian Vettel and will NEVER experience a handling improvement with larger tires.

·
Registered
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
51 Posts
Larger wheels are nothing but cosmetics and in addition

cost more
Yes.

traction is reduced
No.

fuel economy is reduced
Maybe.

ride quality and wheel protection is reduced.
Maybe and Yes.

In addition, the 18s are about at the limit of what most people can work with in terms of weight when, for example, changing a tire, and the larger wheels will only make this more difficult.
It's been some years since this was true. The average wheel is not an 15" anymore.

You--like me and everyone else--are not Sebastian Vettel and will NEVER experience a handling improvement with larger tires.
That's quite a sweeping generalization. :) But probably true in general.

I'd wager that most people want bigger wheels for aesthetics and not performance, though.

- Mark

·
Registered
GL450
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes.

No.

Maybe.

Maybe and Yes.

It's been some years since this was true. The average wheel is not an 15" anymore.

That's quite a sweeping generalization. :) But probably true in general.

I'd wager that most people want bigger wheels for aesthetics and not performance, though.

- Mark
lkchris has some good points. But yes, Mark, I want bigger wheels for aesthetics and not performance as I only drive 5k a year. ;)

·
Registered
2007 GL450, '12 Porsche Panamera, '96 F250 4x4 Powerstroke
229 Posts
I have the 19" option, and had the Conti's two times in a row. Got 30K miles each time, but wasn't overly impressed with them. I switched to the Toyo's the last time, and wow, I've been impressed.

These tires have been awesome, and I have 20K miles on them and they're still far away from being done. I'm so glad they came out with these tires as we finally have a solid option for the 19" wheel. The warranty is 50K miles, and I actually think I might get there. Go figure.

I'm just starting to drive them in the snow, and so far so good. The Conti's slid like crazy, so hopefully this will be better.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
Let me clarify--I can barely lift my 18-in tire/wheel combination.

A 19-in tire/wheel combination will be even heavier and consequently even more difficult to mount/demount.

Oh ... the "traction reduction" refers to wet, snow, ice conditions. Smaller is better in these conditions.

·
Registered
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
51 Posts
Let me clarify--I can barely lift my 18-in tire/wheel combination.

A 19-in tire/wheel combination will be even heavier and consequently even more difficult to mount/demount.
Yeah, I realized last night that I misread your original post. When you said "what most people can deal with" I read it as tire shops, not owners changing tires on the side of the road. My apologies.

Oh ... the "traction reduction" refers to wet, snow, ice conditions. Smaller is better in these conditions.
Agreed. I assumed you meant dry traction.

- Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got the 19" option with Conti and on my second set. Right, they last about 25k miles but they are QUIET and have no problem with traction on wet or snow. Price is OK.

·
Registered
Mercedes 600
1,171 Posts
20" OEM split five spoke
275 / 50 / 20 Goodyear Eagle LS (RFT)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts