Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nice one!

Tanzanite (Capri?) Blue is not seen very often. But can be as challenging as black.
That's a really nice color.

One of the SL's I looked at during my hunt for a replacement this past weekend was a 07 SL550 with that exact color and tan interior. Unfortunately, there were too many issues with that car, and had to pass on it.

Eventually I ended up with the the teal-blue metallic above.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tanzanite (Capri?) Blue is not seen very often. But can be as challenging as black.
I've never seen that color on the road :thumbsup: It makes my black SL look almost ordinary :eek. Very sophisticated. Tanzanite Blue looks like a lighter version of my midnight blue Jag XK8. Most people think my Jag is black :smile.

·
Registered
434 Posts
We must have the same taste in cars. My last Roadster was the XK8 in red. That car was attractive, but more maintenance than the SL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I personally think dark gray with the red interior is really sharp and after casually shopping for a 2009 - '11 SL63 for more than a year, discovered it's a very rare color combination. Sold my Athens Blue G35 6MT Coupe for the very common black/black '011 SL63 having missed out on the gray example shown below. At the end of the day, I do think the black on black helps bring out a more aggressive look for a car that some magazines have accused of being the perfect choice for the "over 50 sports car enthusiast," so I'm not the least bit disappointed....

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
In response to kbob999 post.

I'm the second owner of my Jag ('03 XK8 midnight blue with dove interior roadster) which now has 46K on the clock. In the almost 5 years I've owned it all I've had to do is rear brakes, one coil and the replacement of the pass window regulator. Seems I got a very good one - that's why I keep it. I love my SL but for a long country ride the Jag rides better and is much quieter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I personally think dark gray with the red interior is really sharp and after casually shopping for a 2009 - '11 SL63 for more than a year, discovered it's a very rare color combination. Sold my Athens Blue G35 6MT Coupe for the very common black/black '011 SL63 having missed out on the gray example shown below. At the end of the day, I do think the black on black helps bring out a more aggressive look for a car that some magazines have accused of being the perfect choice for the "over 50 sports car enthusiast," so I'm not the least bit disappointed....
I sailed through 50 back when Clinton was president but I agree about the SLs being the perfect choice for the over 50 sports car enthusiast. My Jag fits that bill too. Glad I got all the 'go fast' cars out of my system before crossing the half century mark. The list of the 'fast cars' I should have kept still haunts me.
As for a grey with dark red interior SL, I found an '08 SL550 on eBay months ago that really caught my eye. It looked brand new but had too many miles for me to squeeze the trigger so, reluctantly, I passed. That particular car was listed as having the "very rare and expensive factory optional (correct me if I'm wrong) matte finish". Man, it looked sharp!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not to steal this thread...

I'm the second owner of my Jag ('03 XK8 midnight blue with dove interior roadster) which now has 46K on the clock. In the almost 5 years I've owned it all I've had to do is rear brakes, one coil and the replacement of the pass window regulator. Seems I got a very good one - that's why I keep it. I love my SL but for a long country ride the Jag rides better and is much quieter.
We drove our 2001 XK8 for many years and did the following:
Warranty replaced fading wood trim inside, hydraulic top lines, a few minor things.
I replaced plastic cam chain tensioners, plastic thermostat housing, trunk battery cable failing from bad crimp, motors for seat headrests, engine coils, brakes, and a few other things that I forget.

We drove it in Colorado at high elevation and the charcoal filter could not take the tank venting, so it saturated the filter and spewed gas fumes into the cockpit. It also vapor locked when warm, leaving you stranded until it cooled. I take it the factory never tested it at 10-14 thousand feet, as it failed miserably.

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,690 Posts
I like the Steel Gray color that I have. It has it's advantages. I was once told by a woman who pulled out in front of me and nearly caused a bad crash that it was my fault because the car is pavement-colored and practically invisible. So, heading that, my plan is to become a bank robber. :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think my red SL63 is a rare beauty, since MB mostly produces Black, white and a dozen shades of grey and silver. Those aren't colors! Although my black 2001 SL500 looks great for about 10 minutes after a wash before it starts showing dust.

This pic was taken in mid January when the weather was so nice I was lulled into thinking it was almost spring and I took the toys down off their lifts to start prepping them. Then the February from hell showed up - the coldest in 83 years here.

Attachments

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
About this Discussion
69 Replies
43 Participants
dbischoff
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing