Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
C 300 Sport 2012
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying one of these set of rims on ebay, I would like to know if you have had any positive or negative experience with them.
Thanks

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed; 2008 E350 4MATIC Sport
955 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Its good that you asked this question.

I've had my 2008 C300 since September 2007 and have followed these threads. When the question comes up, some of the responses have been that you have to be careful as some of the replicas are poorly made.

Don't know how well the search function works on this forum, but it'd be worth trying to find those old post.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
There are definitely good quality replicas and poor quality ones. I have seen non-oem rims get bent in ways you wouldn't think is possible for something that has to hold up to a 4000+lb car pounding on it all day every day. Be very careful and only buy a brand that you have heard of many people being satisfied with for at least a couple of years.

·
Registered
2015 ML 350 Black/Black
327 Posts
If you care about safety and quality of driving don't get them. They can't technically get their rims up to MB. If you like third party rims it is much better to get some from Tirerack, I use to buy some OZ's there.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you care about safety and quality of driving don't get them. They can't technically get their rims up to MB. If you like third party rims it is much better to get some from Tirerack, I use to buy some OZ's there.
This is false, unsubstantiated, and contrary to experience. MB does not make wheels. They are outsourced. The issue is the quality of the supplier. If you, as have I, find a source which is TUV and JWL certified, quality processes have been documented. There is nothing magical about the suppliers MB uses which are in diverse countries. There are good and poor aftermarket wheels so one can no more buy blindly than one can generalize about MB having a monopoly on safety or quality. The only rims we ever cracked or dented were original equipment rims on our E350. Several years into our aftermarket wheels, the disparity of price and quality which can exist among wheels has been made evident. I am also a fan of Tire Rack for great service, but they have to pick and choose among aftermarket suppliers just as does any other company, but they have no AMG style reps that I have seen.

·
Registered
2015 ML 350 Black/Black
327 Posts
This is false, unsubstantiated, and contrary to experience. MB does not make wheels. They are outsourced. The issue is the quality of the supplier. If you, as have I, find a source which is TUV and JWL certified, quality processes have been documented. There is nothing magical about the suppliers MB uses which are in diverse countries. There are good and poor aftermarket wheels so one can no more buy blindly than one can generalize about MB having a monopoly on safety or quality. The only rims we ever cracked or dented were original equipment rims on our E350. Several years into our aftermarket wheels, the disparity of price and quality which can exist among wheels has been made evident. I am also a fan of Tire Rack for great service, but they have to pick and choose among aftermarket suppliers just as does any other company, but they have no AMG style reps that I have seen.

Please do not mix legit aftermarket suppliers and one who is making fakes or replicas. They are having no rights to stamp amg or mb on their products. second, everything is outsourced these days, however MB will be responsible if something happend to their wheels, who will be in this case?
There is always one who will prefer fakes, if you like them go ahead and buy, in my opinion this is danger on highways. Also many excellent rims made by companies as OZ, Enkei, BBS etc who could substitute stock rims with better look and quality without MB logos.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Please do not mix legit aftermarket suppliers and one who is making fakes or replicas. They are having no rights to stamp amg or mb on their products. second, everything is outsourced these days, however MB will be responsible if something happend to their wheels, who will be in this case?
There is always one who will prefer fakes, if you like them go ahead and buy, in my opinion this is danger on highways. Also many excellent rims made by companies as OZ, Enkei, BBS etc who could substitute stock rims with better look and quality without MB logos.
Are we making the same point? I agree that responsible suppliers who sell their excess capacity through aftermarket channels and have quality verified processes should not be mixed in with those who don't. However, as to what name they stamp, we've been discussing quality and safety. If you wish to change the subject to trademark infringement, then I will quickly surrender, but that was not your original premise. As to MB being "responsible", that is of little to no value. Unless one was to assert a design defect, wheel denting or cracking is due to environmental causes (potholes, etc) for which MB has zero liability. My 4 discarded and dented E Class 18" wheels are quiet testimony to that. I have two cars running quite well for several total years on TUV certified reps which took little weight to balance and have performed without flaw.

In my prior career, I signed off on selecting wheels for cars and trucks which were bought in the hundreds of thousands. There is little to no relationship between manufacturing cost/quality and MSRP (within categories, such as gravity cast vs pressure cast vs forged, etc) Sellers get what the market will support based on whatever mythology about their brand they can maintain. Style preferences vary, but if the OP wants AMG reps, high quality wheels at reasonable prices can be had, but not at the "rack".

·
Registered
2015 ML 350 Black/Black
327 Posts
Are we making the same point? I agree that responsible suppliers who sell their excess capacity through aftermarket channels and have quality verified processes should not be mixed in with those who don't. However, as to what name they stamp, we've been discussing quality and safety. If you wish to change the subject to trademark infringement, then I will quickly surrender, but that was not your original premise. As to MB being "responsible", that is of little to no value. Unless one was to assert a design defect, wheel denting or cracking is due to environmental causes (potholes, etc) for which MB has zero liability. My 4 discarded and dented E Class 18" wheels are quiet testimony to that. I have two cars running quite well for several total years on TUV certified reps which took little weight to balance and have performed without flaw.

In my prior career, I signed off on selecting wheels for cars and trucks which were bought in the hundreds of thousands. There is little to no relationship between manufacturing cost/quality and MSRP (within categories, such as gravity cast vs pressure cast vs forged, etc) Sellers get what the market will support based on whatever mythology about their brand they can maintain. Style preferences vary, but if the OP wants AMG reps, high quality wheels at reasonable prices can be had, but not at the "rack".

Again we are ONLY talking about fakes or replicas with MB or AMG logos. You could see them on Ebay and other simmilar places. They are having no quality and I wouldn't suggest them. They look and price is attractive but that is all.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Again we are ONLY talking about fakes or replicas with MB or AMG logos. You could see them on Ebay and other simmilar places. They are having no quality and I wouldn't suggest them. They look and price is attractive but that is all.
I an offer no endorsement for any wheels on eBay. However, the two sources I cited at the outset are found directly and do offer reps with AMG logos. There is no scale which allows one to assert "no quality". It seems this discussion can end with your advice of one position and my experience with such wheels to the contrary...and the OP can decide what they wish to do. I think we've both made our cases. Have a great day! :D

·
Registered
2015 ML 350 Black/Black
327 Posts
There is no scale which allows one to assert "no quality". :D

If there is quality, why not just brand it normal way? As example there is always generic drugs in drug stores which are legit and cheaper and possibly working same as branded but that is up to you to buy and try and also normally they are not using same names as branded. They also been tested and released to the drugstores.
AMG/MB rims from Ebay are counterfeit product, risk of using them is much higher, broken rim could cause someones life loss on highways and not always rim owner life.
Saying that MB is not responsible for their rims is bull s..., they are and we all know how Toyota and Ford/Bridgestone got in troubles with quality problems. So?

·
Registered
955 Posts
If there is quality, why not just brand it normal way? As example there is always generic drugs in drug stores which are legit and cheaper and possibly working same as branded but that is up to you to buy and try and also normally they are not using same names as branded. They also been tested and released to the drugstores.
AMG/MB rims from Ebay are counterfeit product, risk of using them is much higher, broken rim could cause someones life loss on highways and not always rim owner life.
Saying that MB is not responsible for their rims is bull s..., they are and we all know how Toyota and Ford/Bridgestone got in troubles with quality problems. So?
This is a very confusing post. What is "normal way" branding? If a supplier of wheels finds their sales are enhanced with a recognized logo, how does that have any relationship to the quality of their manufacturing process? I agreed that they may be guilty of trademark infringement, but any other assertions are groundless and speculative. Your analogy with drugs actually undermines your own argument, as generics are required to comply with the same FDA standards for safety and effectiveness as brand name drugs. By comparison, if one finds an aftermarket wheel company which, like OE wheels, meets TUV and JWL standards, the same quality processes have also been verified. Trying to use a marketing strategy to make assumptions about manufacturing and engineering processes results has no inherent logic.

Your presumption about MB liability also conflates assertions of inherent design defect, which is strikingly rare, with the majority of wheel issues, which result from damage from curbs, potholes, etc. MB's product liability for wheels is limited to issues resulting from their hypothetical negligence in the design or manufacture of a wheel. The Firestone 500 tire issue you may be trying to reference was due to an inherent design defect in that model of tire. But, when wheels are bent or cracked due to hitting a road hazard, you will find that MB (as with all other manufacturers) will immediately identify the road hazard and/or owner usage as the cause of the damage. One would have to collect hundreds or thousands of wheels and subject them to scientific analysis, likely after starting a NHTSA defect investigation, to have any hope of finding liability beyond the driver.

In any event, as I said earlier, we've both made our points and are becoming repetitious without added value. Good luck, OP, and, for interest's sake, let us know what wheels you finally get.

·
Registered
2001 CLK - 2006 E Class - 2015 GL
4 Posts
I got a set of these in size 19 from Wheels and Rims | OEM Replica Rims and Wheels | UsaRim last year and they came out great. Picture of my Mercedes with new wheels is also attached.

I ordered from UsaRim's ebay store since they have 100% positive feedback here is a link to their review page on ebay.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=usarim&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=positive&interval=365
They have the best reviews and Frank answered any questions I had about wheel fitment on my Mercedes Benz. He also threw in some Mercedes Benz Center Caps and gave me a great deal.
I will definitely be coming back soon for some 20 inch Black AMG style rims and tires for my GL series.

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 190e 2.3-16 (W201), 1997 SL320 Panoramic Glass Top (R129) & 2009 C300 Panoramic Top (W204)
739 Posts
Mercedes OEM Wheels (less than great)

From experience, my OEM wheels were plain garbage. And yes, if you live in an area with better roads than I do in Puerto Rico you might have a better experience. After getting my wheels welded on a few times due to cracking I opted for a set of replicas. Lets just say the are stronger than the OEM ones. As for having the MB or AMG logos, that's a battle the companies need to have to curb that practice, but if the quality is there and the logos are too it will continue to be an attractive deal vs. paying out the nose for original wheels that suck.

OEMs are the bottom pic and with the replicas on top.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts