Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I just picked up a 1993 190e 2.3 with 105k miles in Livermore over the weekend. Other than the oil leak from transmission oil cooler hose, its in perfect shape. I have a $250 parts order on the way. Includes, thermostat, radiator hoses, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, brake pads and rotors, belt and filters. Its amazing how cheap online parts are these days. Anyway, I was looking for information on how to get rid of Kjet and it seems like Megasquirt is the best option which I have a little experience tuning. I found a lot of good info on 190revolution as a few members have done the swap but I can't seem to be able to join the forum. Is there is secret hand shake I'm missing? I can register but they don't send a confirmation email and I can't post or contact anyone. I'm sure a few of the members here also frequent that forum. I'm looking for information on which TPS to use, fuel rail and injectors. I guess the stock ICV works just fine. I'm planning to keep the stock ignition system. I want to use MS just for fuel.

A few pics of the car

I'm planning to pull the valve cover for a respray. High temp silver would be nice.

Carfax confirmed the mileage along with single owner in San Jose since new. I'm guessing some kind of religious nut by the jesus fish on the trunk lid and christian music tapes in the dash.

The cooling system seems totaly inadaquite. The clutch fan is shot and the electric fan is running almost all the time when driving at low speed. I'm planning to replace both with a single 2 speed puller electric fan behind the radiator runnning off the stock temp switches.

cheers
Justin

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,427 Posts
nice and clean 190. Good to see more Bay Area members here.
First thing I'd do is take that front license plate off and bang it into shape.
As for adding MS, the only problem is I don't know how you'd get that through the Test Only Smog Checks they make you do around here. I read somewhere they can fail you on visual for any engine modifications.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,659 Posts
I think member MTI might be the right person to help with 190rev issues.

·
Registered
2.3-16v Evolution2 Replica
493 Posts
Where are you from? Im from the San Mateo area. As for the EFI theirs a group buy on EFI parts going on right now on the rev site from another local BA guy. I to have efi parts but really don't know what im also doing at the same time.

You can pass the inspection as long as your car looks stock. It's a matter of have the OEM look.

·
Registered
1992 190E | 1997 BMW 328i | 2001 C320 | 2004 C230K | 2007 BMW 335i
346 Posts
I remember seeing that car on CL. Looks good! I'll probably see you around as I'm in the East Bay as well. I have a gold (er, smoke silver I guess) one with CLK wheels on it.

By the way, while you're at it you should replace that thermostat cover as well. There's a revised metal version that is not prone to cracking like the plastic one is. Replacing the radiator in the car might not be a bad idea either since you're doing the rest of the cooling system.

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. I can't wait to get the car back on the road as soon as the oil leak and brakes are done. Hopefully this weekend. I'll update this thread with the restoration. I would have loved to get my hands on a manual transmission car but they are nowhere to be found. There were a couple of older examples on CL but I really wanted the newest cars I could get my hands on. Next to my E30 on M3 springs (autoX tool and general hooligan) the 190e is like driving a marshmallow in a cup of heavy cream on top of a pillow. Amazing ride quality. It'll make a great daily driver.

cheers
Justin

·
Registered
1985 190e 2.3, 1986 190e 2.3-16
57 Posts
yea, thats a super clean 190.
and yes, i registered for 190rev the day before yesterday and still no conformation email.
did you ever get in?

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It took them a while to get my account up and running but everything works fine now. Its a great resource.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6
91 Posts
It took them a while to get my account up and running but everything works fine now. Its a great resource.
I have registered a couple of weeks ago and still no reply. Went to register again but there is a security image that I have to fill out but unfortunately does not show up on the form, thus returning an incomplete registration. I have sent a couple of emails, don't know if anyone one is reading them or not.:wtf:

Bill

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
Sorry, we've been having issues with the image verification. 99% of new registrations are from spammers, so until we get it tweaked, we've been experimenting with different verification methods.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Hey, is it just me or is the site down again?

Main page appears but if i click anywhere i stare at a black page until the browser says 404 not found.

..hehe for a Mercedes forum, its rather un-reliable no?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts