Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
Mog goes too slow in 4WD mode on the sand.

And Diff lock is not engage. When i pull differential lever to 3rd position (the top ) it is click and doesn't stay there and back to 4WD itself into the lower echelon

Note : om352 Engine

·
Registered
1995 MB 1224AF Doka
4 Posts
I don't know Mogs- but that's like a 2L engine isn't it? Depending on load, I'm surprised it moves that well.

·
Registered
2001 W163 ML270CDI / 2006 W164 ML500 / 1986 U1300L Unimog
194 Posts
Granny shiftin', not double clutchin' like you should. 😜

·
Registered
1963 Unimog 404
170 Posts
That's moving pretty good for being a 404 and being on loose sand. It's this truck new to you? You only have, at best, 80hp moving at least 8,000 lb truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Diff lock is not engage. When i pull differential lever to 3rd position (the top )it doesn't stay there and back to 4WD itself into the lower echelon

om352 Engine

That's moving pretty good for being a 404 and being on loose sand. It's this truck new to you? You only have, at best, 80hp moving at least 8,000 lb truck.
Yes I am new owner. I am very novice at this

I don't know Mogs- but that's like a 2L engine isn't it? Depending on load, I'm surprised it moves that well.
It's om352 engine. I think 6L

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,205 Posts
Nothing about this post makes any sense to me.

C.

Reactions: Karl K

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,440 Posts
It seems to be driving well. Are you saying that it is popping out of "differential lock"?
Chas

·
Unimog Moderator
13,734 Posts
His 404 isn't stock, it has an OM352 in it: Help for 1974 Unimog 404

In that lighter chassis, it should move along pretty well especially if the axle gearing is stock 404.

The linkages for the lockers on the 404 are mechanical, they probably need lubricated, and adjusted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
His 404 isn't stock, it has an OM352 in it: Help for 1974 Unimog 404

In that lighter chassis, it should move along pretty well especially if the axle gearing is stock 404.

The linkages for the lockers on the 404 are mechanical, they probably need lubricated, and adjusted.
Yes. All you wrote is correct. I'll check lubricated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1963 Unimog 404
170 Posts
My apologies. I didn't read the OM 352 part. In either case, it looked like it was moving fine, but a video doesn't tell the whole story. Locked diffs will be more easily felt than seen in this scenario. Let us know what you discover!

By the way, congratulations on the new unimog! And welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
U-1300, 3 ea 406, 3 ea 404, Haflinger, 2 ea LMTV.
122 Posts
If the Diff Lock "gears" are not aligned when you lift the DiffLock lever, you will feel a spring, as you did. Hold the lever up and drive some. When the gears align the lockers will engage and will then not pop out of lock.

Nice truck!

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you @MicMoor77

The video below my problem. I drive slow and try engage diff lock , and drive little more fast with other shift 1. 2. 3.
So I try hold it up to 1 minute . But when i release it it goes down again

·
Registered
1963 Unimog 404, 1961 Unimog 404
57 Posts
Thank you @MicMoor77

The video below my problem. I drive slow and try engage diff lock , and drive little more fast with other shift 1. 2. 3.
So I try hold it up to 1 minute . But when i release it it goes down again

It is normal for the detent under the 4wd lever to wear out and not hold it in the differential lock position, I dont know that there is a way to replace or repair it so you may just have to hold it in the lock position.

·
Registered
1957 Unimog 30, 1999 E320, 2004 E320
362 Posts
It is normal for the detent under the 4wd lever to wear out and not hold it in the differential lock position, I dont know that there is a way to replace or repair it so you may just have to hold it in the lock position.
I has a 411 with a similar issue, the top detent had a worn grove and the ball has nothing to really engage with and wouldn't stay in place unless you held it.

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,740 Posts
A bungee cord to the rescue - would not be the first time :)

Reactions: NhBen

·
Registered
1963 Unimog 404
170 Posts
Your lever should look like this:
Road surface Asphalt Guitar accessory Grey Black-and-white

You can check the bottom of the lever to see how worn the holes look.
Automotive tire Bicycle chain Tool Automotive lighting Bumper

The detent has a tendency to get stuck if it has old grease or mud stuck in it. Make sure it is returning to the up position. Mine is welded on and appears to be unserviceable. I just stuck a pick in the hole on the bottom and cleaned it out while spraying WD-40 inside.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Composite material Gas

Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt Grey

Automotive tire Road surface Grey Wood Asphalt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Öyle camdan bakarak birşey anlayamazsınız.

2WD çekişle patinaj yapacağı eğimde bir yer bulun, başka birisi dışarıdan yandan çeksin.

Lever'i elinizle yukarı pozisyonda tutarken dahi diff lock gerçekleşti mi, ondan dahi emin değilsiniz.

Yani "kol yukarıda durmuyor" sorusu 2. soru olmalı aslında. 1. Soru siz kolu yukarıda tutarken kilitliyor mu?

Dediğim gibi ya bir eğimli alanda deneyin, ya da aracın tekerleklerini çapraz askıya alın, öyle bir bakın.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts