Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E350 Sedan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2006 E350 (have owned 1987 300TD and 2000 E320 prior). Just went on a trip and the nav system is lame. Didn't recognize street names that have been on streets in Sacto, Ca since I was a kid 40+ years ago. At first I thought I just needed an updated disk, now I'm having second thoughts about even wasting my money on one. Anyway, on the trip, I finally turned the nav off and plugged in my $200 three year old Magellan and it worked perfectly. Any ideas or recommendations on the MB nav system? (I did read the book on it before the trip.) Assuming it has not been updated since 2006, will an updated version make much difference?

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Recently bought a 2006 E350 (have owned 1987 300TD and 2000 E320 prior). Just went on a trip and the nav system is lame. Didn't recognize street names that have been on streets in Sacto, Ca since I was a kid 40+ years ago. At first I thought I just needed an updated disk, now I'm having second thoughts about even wasting my money on one. Anyway, on the trip, I finally turned the nav off and plugged in my $200 three year old Magellan and it worked perfectly. Any ideas or recommendations on the MB nav system? (I did read the book on it before the trip.) Assuming it has not been updated since 2006, will an updated version make much difference?
I've understood you should approach MBUSA and make them include all roads Navteq has on their database, or change to a SUV where all recorded roads are included. Another option is to move to Europe. :)

This is not about cost but something else (that is difficult to understand).

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,709 Posts
Navi programs and database are separate issues.
I have been using laptop based programs that with antennas cost $19 and even having navi in ML I still would take my laptop for exploring city streets.
The very expensive Mercedes system had maybe a good ideas, but those failed in real life. The program was forcing the car position on the street, what with lot of mapping errors (maps are made by government) was quite often showing me on parallel street, not the one I was on. Than the gyroscopic back up system was marvel on its own. The system would not shut off after some time, allowing several reading errors to accumulate. Coming down our standard route with 2 miles under the trees, was always showing our position in the middle of the lake near by.
Each version has glitches. I was driving with Street Atlas 2006 before and it pushed me on hiking trails several times. So I bought 2009 version and this one gets crazy routing. For example going around city block, instead of taking straight highway for 2 miles and than turning right into other highway for a mile, the program wanted me to zigzag between the small streets in this block making several turns. Still the newer version is pushing me on dirt roads.
I guess we will have to wait few more years for program that would follow human logic.
How long will we wait for government to supply good mapping database?

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
For any brand of GPS, review the route before travel or you'll be in for some surprising twists and turns.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Lame is a pretty good description of the older CD-based NAV in my car. You could try buying the latest DVD and/or asking a MB dealer if there are any firmware updates. But I think the concensus here is that your Magellan, or several others, are better units than anything MB has in their cars.

·
Premium Member
2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet 2003 S500 4Matic 2004 S55 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
780 Posts
It is truly a conundrum - finding the Mercedes nav system in such a technological masterpiece. Not only is it annoying - it is embarrassing. Has Mercedes no pride. I love my car but for the life of me cannot understand why such a poor system has existed as long as it has. Is Mercedes admitting that TomTom can for less than $200 do what it cannot do? Someone please help me understand.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Folks that don't own a GPS probably think it's fine.

In the 6 years I've had Mercedes with NAV I've used mine twice and it worked perfectly both times.

Mostly I like having the map display.

·
Registered
2006 E350 Sedan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've driven MBs since 1987 and this has to take the cake. High tech has always been their thing - leading with automotive advancements. This is downright embarrasing having to drive with my Magellen stuck on the front window. After all the comments on this thread, I guess there is no reason to pay $250 or so for a new updated disc as it probably won't make any difference. Germans are stubborn folks (in a good way), I lived in Germany for years and they really fought adding cupholders to their cars as their thought process was that you shouldn't be drinking anything while driving. And after having driven their autobahns at "well over" a 100 mph (for many hours, many times) I can see why. It takes full concentration to do that and stay alive. Anyway, thanks for the insight into this issue.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,709 Posts
Well... I know that driving autobahn at 100 mph will not spill your coffee -driving California freeway at 40 mph will. If keeping over 100mph on autobahn takes too much of your concentration, turn CC, or tempomat on. ;) I am way more tired making 200 miles in California, than 300 miles in Germany.
Talking about MB navi, I take it that as a thing that has nothing to do with German engineering. If you follow the years, earlier Mercedes had lot of problems with Cruise Control, AC, automatic transmission took 20 years to iron the glitches.
Once again, what cost lot of money in factory navi is the gyroscopic backup and software trying to correct mapping errors.
One more proof, that you can't correct government errors. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts