Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was tearing up insulation to put down dynamat the passenger side set of these died. On the driver side I realized it could be salvaged and reused. I'm guessing it's insulation but I have no idea. On the passenger side there was a painted one closer to the firewall that looked kind of necessary.

I'd like to put it back on top of the dynamat if possible but the painted one is very brittle and falling apart. My thought is if I can put some new material where this older black stuff is falling apart I can salvage it.

The painted one is directly on the floor, unpainted is directly forward of that. Unpainted is more sound, structurally

Does anyone know what these are and does anyone have thoughts on how I can salvage them?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1983 300SD
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like sound-deadening material to me.
You think these are pointless once dynamat is in, or is it possible they were designed to serve a dual purpose?

Another thought that occurred to me is that with this black crud on the back seeing a material you don't normally see, it could be a contributor to old Mercedes smell

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,785 Posts
Pretty amazing it came up in one piece. They usually shatter into small bits if you mess with them. NLA from MB. If you need a replacement, use Dynamat or similar

·
Registered
1983 300SD
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty amazing it came up in one piece. They usually shatter into small bits if you mess with them. NLA from MB. If you need a replacement, use Dynamat or similar
Passenger side shattered in a serious way. I was surprised this one didn't.

So you think there's no point in putting this back in if I'm putting down dynamat?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,162 Posts
Passenger side shattered in a serious way. I was surprised this one didn't.

So you think there's no point in putting this back in if I'm putting down dynamat?

I doubt you'd really notice another layer of material if you put it back. It might be some fraction of a decibel quieter. But I'm not one to throw stuff away so I'd probably put it back just to retain the original.

I like your thought about the Mercedes smell!

·
Registered
1983 300SD
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like your thought about the Mercedes smell!
Haha. I've been kind of obsessive about that. My parents drove used Benzes when I was growing up. When I bought this one the first time around the smell brought back road trips to the Appalachians to go camping. And then I spent much of my young adulthood immersed in it. I have to get drastic about removing the mildew smell but I'd like her to still smell like all of those memories.

Even if it doesn't serve a purpose I would prefer to put it back in. Just to keep it original as you're saying. I think it will probably break up under pressure if I put it back down as is though.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,310 Posts
Putting Dynamat on top of ashphalt will be a waste of Dynamat. It will be damping the asphalt instead of the panel you want it to be damping.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Putting Dynamat on top of ashphalt will be a waste of Dynamat. It will be damping the asphalt instead of the panel you want it to be damping.
Well, the idea would be to put the dynamat under it.

So I take it this thing is made of asphalt?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts