Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect this question has been asked before, but if I knew what it was I might have found it:eek:

It's the silver thing that looks like a trumpet.

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you referring to the port tube? The port in the enclosure interacts with the volume of air in the cabinet and the driver to help increase output and reduce cone excursion at and around the tuning frequency of the port tube.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, does a port tube look like a trumpet?:D

Thanks for that, now at least I know how to refer to it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I have two 10" coaxials in the rear shelf of my W123. The bass is so strong that the entire shelf was originally prone to vibrating - mechanically, as in visibly bouncing up and down - and I tried to fix this by replacing the original shelf with a 16 mm thick chipboard to add mass. This worked somewhat. But from what I gather on my research, if I raise the speaker compartment and add one port, I could reduce the bouncing by allowing the air pressure to escape. I have incredible sound, half of which I cannot use thank to the "bad vibrations".

Thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you sure they're 10-inch coaxial speakers? The use of sound deadening material, such as Dynamatt, Accumat, Road Kill, or any other brand of sound deadening material will help with the mechanical vibration. Also, the use of foam strips between the rear deck and metal partial shelf will absorb so of the vibration as well. If you're still experiencing flexing in the partial shelf after adding the 16-mm board, you might need to double it up to strengthen up rear deck. Once you resolve the vibration issue, you're car sound much better.

The use of port in your application will not yield you any positive benefits.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trust me, I have Dynamat and some stuff that looks like blanket fluff. It doesn't work. I agree I need more rigidty, but how? Where?

Thanks, didn't really think it would work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts