Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SEL, 1987 300SDL, 1987 420SEL, 1989 300SE
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all -

Bob, my little 300SE, has a little sunroof issue. That's no bueno in summer in South Texas. We know the source of the trouble...My indie says I need to get a new headliner to simplify the process, but it's really just this one broken bit, described in 77-050 as "protective tube".

Does anyone know if it has a more practical name and if it can be purchased? Or will I spend the rest of my days looking for a grey sunroof headliner with an intact "protective tube" that's compatible with my Bob?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I have a spare Michelle. Want me to send it?

I just rebuilt my whole sunroof and swapped in a glass roof, so mt old parts are just sitting here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glass....drool.

I can see if your "protective tube" thingy will work. Don't know what would be best to affix it to the headliner with. My other one cracked, plain and simple. And Vera told me to find/buy another headliner piece because I'd "never find that plastic part." It's been bugging the hell out of me for awhile.

Not to sound lewd, but how long is your tube, MC? I can't think of any reason for incompatibility, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

-M

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Glass....drool.

I can see if your "protective tube" thingy will work. Don't know what would be best to affix it to the headliner with. My other one cracked, plain and simple. And Vera told me to find/buy another headliner piece because I'd "never find that plastic part." It's been bugging the hell out of me for awhile.

Not to sound lewd, but how long is your tube, MC? I can't think of any reason for incompatibility, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

-M
I think it's like 4" long? I will go out later to look for it. I'm pretty sure I still have one. The W140 glass roof panel does not use that because the inner panel does not slide with it the same way. It has a manual sliding panel that moves independently of the roof panel.

I'll look and send a pic of it, ok?

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
If Mike can't locate his, my complete headliner piece is sitting in the garage awaiting your word. In fact, I'd send you the whole headliner if you wanted it-- but mine is cream beige colored. I can also do some investigating as to how to remove/reattach the tube...

On the other hand, I also have a couple of glass roofs available... Complete with grey headliner/slider and all the bits. Might be worth considering... It's a great modification! Fairly easy to do, too. Either Mike or myself can guide you throught it (as well as Mikes thread on the topic w/pics).

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
If Mike can't locate his, my complete headliner piece is sitting in the garage awaiting your word. In fact, I'd send you the whole headliner if you wanted it-- but mine is cream beige colored. I can also do some investigating as to how to remove/reattach the tube...

On the other hand, I also have a couple of glass roofs available... Complete with grey headliner/slider and all the bits. Might be worth considering... It's a great modification! Fairly easy to do, too. Either Mike or myself can guide you throught it (as well as Mikes thread on the topic w/pics).
Michelle,

I looked out in the garage and I can't find them. Carlene says she thinks I chucked them when we moved in together.

Take Dave up on either of his offers, he's a good friend and knows his parts. I buy stuff from him all the time. If you want to do the glass roof mod, it's fairly easy and I'm sure you can do it, I know you are a smart cookie with skilz!

·
Registered
560 SEC
100 Posts
I'm breaking a Grey interior SEC, sold the sunroof but still have the bits of headlining, I'll have a look through it all and see if I have that piece you need :thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you - Mike, Dave and Ninja! I've been out of town and apologize for not responding sooner.

I recently bought a plastic welding kit to repair my big yellow kayak...so a friend of mine and I tried to engineer the plastic bit that's broken on my tube. Worked fine and looked swell until we tried to shimmy it into the channels of the headliner where it belongs. That didn't work out so well.

I'm going to go out and snag a picture of it now, and measure it real quick...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK...it measures about 5.5" long by about 7/8" wide and I'm attaching pictures of the Sacred Tube. I want my sunroof back, dammit! I feel like a moron driving around with the exposed metal of the sunroof glaring down at me.

I don't think I'm ready for a glass conversion. Furthermore, I think my mechanic would drown me in the bay if I suggested it.

So I'm game for any and all tubes/headliner bits and pieces that might come my way. I'll be happy to pay for shipping or whatever is amenable to the providers of tubes!

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave -

If the offer of the tube/headliner bits is still on the table, please let me know. I'm so sick of staring at metal. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to move up to glass like you and Mike yet :eek:

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
I bought a new one of those from mb classic center. Yours looked like mine -- trashed! I think it was $12 but my point is you can buy them oem if you want.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a new one of those from mb classic center. Yours looked like mine -- trashed! I think it was $12 but my point is you can buy them oem if you want.
That would be ideal. Do you have a PN or a proper name for the thing, 281?

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
8,509 Posts
This makes me glad I don't have a sunroof. Then when I want to look up at the night sky while in the car, I get sad.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Michelle, can you post a pic of the part please?

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
That would be ideal. Do you have a PN or a proper name for the thing, 281?
it is the cable tube guide, and I will have to search email archives for the pn a bit later in the day. My EPC is toast or I would look it up.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
The long tube that contains the cable and goes into the trunk?

Michele is that it?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
So it is, I missed it.

Michelle, here is the P/N: 124 780 05 77

That is for my '90 560 SEL, if you PM me your VIN, I can double check it.

Also, I will go pull mine off my SEL headliner, as it is going to go Glass and I do not need the inner panel anymore.

I will go pull it now.

M

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Michelle, I looked in that car, and Dave and I had to remove it when we installed my glass panel. I looked all over the garage and in the attic, and could not find it. As I recall, I chucked it when Carlene and I moved here.

If you PM me your VIN, I'll look up the correct PN for your car. Also, Dave can get you one out of the yard if you want used.

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
124-780-05-77 cable guide $9.77 from mbusa

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts