Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 W124 300CE-24
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Removed my (factory) head unit in readiness for a replacement and noticed a (cut off) co-ax cable in the void. It runs back through the centre console, past the shifter towards the rear of the console. I can't see where it goes from there as it's buried in to a loom.

What would it be for? Similar to an aerial co ax (maybe the original)?

·
Registered
E320 94', 158K mi
49 Posts
More than likely a phone

I agree. Do you have a small antennae on on the top back center of the car? If so that's more than likely it. Mine has the same thing. I don't think it should harm anything. The phones in the older models where placed on the left side of the center console, so that's why you're seeing that cord there.

I'm thinking about doing my headliner soon too. Any suggestion on where to get a good one at a good price?

·
Registered
1990 W124 300CE-24
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old phone eh? Maybe, although there are no traces of an antenna and cable is on r/h/s of console (which proves farkall I suppose).
As long as it's nothing vital....I was stumped as there is a cut off cable looking at me but everything works as it should.

·
Registered
E320 94', 158K mi
49 Posts
Correction: The phone cable goes to the right hand side of the vehicles center console. I have drill holes I need to do something about on that side from where the previous owner had a car phone. Like you said though, if its already cut and everything has been working fine then there's nothing to worry about. Mine had its wire harness replaced so every so often I find old wire taped up that probably simply wasn't pulled all the way out when new wires were laid.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1990 W124 300CE-24
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correction: The phone cable goes to the right hand side of the vehicles center console. I have drill holes I need to do something about on that side from where the previous owner had a car phone.... Mine had its wire harness replaced so every so often I find old wire taped up that probably simply wasn't pulled all the way out when new wires were laid.
Just a thought.
Don't forget that we have our steering wheel on the correct (right) side:) so one would think the wiring would be on the left where a phone would be positioned; but whatever was easiest for installer probably.
Luckily mine's pre-loom problems.
Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts