Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2003 SL500, 1995 500SL(SOLD), 1979 280CE, 1978 300CD
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm hoping I can get some ideas of what the worth or a good price to sell my 95 129 would be.

It's in excellent condition, brand new convertible top (less than 6 months old), new battery, new passengers side front hydraulic cylinder.

It has 126k on it, 18 inch staggered AMG chrome rims, aftermarket Remus exhaust and a professionally installed police radar system that has a sensor in the front of the car (can't see it so it doesn't make the car look bad)

The bad is it will need new tires soon, and an alignment. Also has a small coolant leak, nothing that has ever given me trouble.

Arizona car so absolutely no rust of any kind.

What do you guys think? My research shows the values are all over the map.

· Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1998 SLK 230,2018 C300, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie, 1968 Firebird,
5,392 Posts
You pretty much need to post a fair amount of pictures to give everyone a reals sense of value. Also your model year like mine has the piss poor wiring. If the car still has original wiring, that's a major deduct. If you have proof it's been changed or is beyond the build date of the bad wiring, that makes a big difference. Get some pics up and you might get some solid advice.

· Registered
1998 SL500
1,434 Posts
The two big factors for cars like ours are how badly does a potential buyer want the car, and how badly does the seller wish to sell the car.

Unfortunately in the case of the first factor the current market for our cars does not seem to be especially strong. As to the latter only you can answer that.

In the end it's worth whatever you and a buyer agree it's worth--my guess based upon asking and selling prices here in Florida, $5000 to $6000 IF you find an interested buyer. If you want or need to sell it in the not-too-far-distant future, maybe $3500 to $4000...

· Registered
2003 SL500, 1995 500SL(SOLD), 1979 280CE, 1978 300CD
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm looking to list

I'm possibly thinking of selling. I have an 03 r230 too. But am wondering what's a good price to sell for and whats the price where I should consider just keeping it. I'm not in a situation where I "have to" sell.

The only downside is it's taking up a spot in my garage.

Thoughts?

· Registered
1998 SL500
1,434 Posts
Hey!!! its still a Mercedes Benz SL roadster,there will always be buyers. but there's always that rare Mustang out there lowering our prices.
I have friends that own a higher end used car lot on US1 North of here. They have had a nice, clean, '96 SL500 w/88k on the lot for over two months asking $8995; other than one fellow who looked it over (but didn't drive it) no one has even asked about it...

· Registered
1999 sl500 sl2
563 Posts
i figure my 99 with upgrades, all maintenance done, 80k with sl2 package is worth about 8k so like cliff said if you can get 6k take it.

that coolant leak could be as small as a $10 hose or as large as a $1500 head gasket.

· Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1998 SLK 230,2018 C300, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie, 1968 Firebird,
5,392 Posts
Your car presents well in pictures ( of course pictures can hide a multitude of sin :grin). You have the multi-contour seats, which are rare. I think you can do better in a spring/summer market. If you have a decent maintenance history I'd think you could probably do better than $ 10k.

· Registered
1991 500SL purch 10/2013 w/ 86,500 miles. 2001 S55 purch 9/2014 w/ 47,000 miles.
2,124 Posts
Your car presents well in pictures ( of course pictures can hide a multitude of sin :grin). You have the multi-contour seats, which are rare. I think you can do better in a spring/summer market. If you have a decent maintenance history I'd think you could probably do better than $ 10k.
Tracy, aren't you an engineer also? Talk to Cliff and figure out where your formulas are different.

As a CPA, I still go with $6,500 as a realistic selling price. Ask $7,500 and negotiate.

· Registered
'95 SL500, '99 ML320, '08 ML550 4MATIC w/Sport & Lighting Pkg, '12 ML350 4MATIC w/P2 Pkg & Pano Roof
965 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm hoping I can get some ideas of what the worth or a good price to sell my 95 129 would be.

It's in excellent condition, brand new convertible top (less than 6 months old), new battery, new passengers side front hydraulic cylinder.

It has 126k on it, 18 inch staggered AMG chrome rims, aftermarket Remus exhaust and a professionally installed police radar system that has a sensor in the front of the car (can't see it so it doesn't make the car look bad)

The bad is it will need new tires soon, and an alignment. Also has a small coolant leak, nothing that has ever given me trouble.

Arizona car so absolutely no rust of any kind.

What do you guys think? My research shows the values are all over the map.

If your mileage was down around 65k on the odometer, I think you could get $8,500 - $9,500 for it.

With your coolant leak, balding tires and higher mileage, I'd say $7,000 - $7,500 tops.

I would seriously fix the coolant leak, get a set of new tires from the Tire Rack, and then post it for sale at $9,000, and be willing to negotiate a bit.

Good Luck, and May God Bless, Arctic

· Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,737 Posts
Minus.

1. Tires. $1000

2. Alignment. $100 +

3. Coolant leak. Easy $500

4. Harness. $1500

5. 126K

6. Plus, what ells?

Timing chain, guides, tranny, w pump? $$$$.

That's without even seen it...

It has a value, but what?

For mine I want $25K.

But nobody is going to give me that... :(

That means, in USA. Lol.

Regards,
aam.

· Registered
1998 SL600 Pano, 2002 ES300, 2004 Protege5 Turbo
662 Posts
With the R129 its like shooting darts at a board littered with random prices. Ive seen them for 1k all the way to 15k and still sell.
Its really about what the buyer is willing to spend for it and the seller willing to let it go for; and then those two fish in the sea somehow finding each other in the ocean of cars for sale.

I bought an 1991 300sl for $2500 that was really clean and introduced me to the r129 world- it had a brand new reupholstered interior and overall really nice.
$650 bucks (parts junker which i immediately sold for $650 plus misc parts for my 600).
A 1995 500 for $5000- which had 250k miles but it was really clean with a new paint job and new tires. I later sold that for $5000 for a bensworlder.
And 1998 600 for 2300 which everyone and their mother screamed bloody murder that i was throwing my money away because it too needed work.

Im always searching for the next *right* project because I'm always teetering on the fence on whether I should have my black 600 resprayed in Pearl White, or just find a beat up 600 and paint/build so that I don't have to change the color of a perfectly fine SL.

For yours I would say I wouldn't sell it less than $4500. it should sell for 5000-5500; but I don't know your local market.

The common misconception with these cars is that just because theyre lower miles doesn't make them worth more. to me in fact its the opposite. I will steer clear of the 40k mile SL and opt for the 150K mile one because "chances are" that it was maintained accordingly, and seals haven't dried up. When you look at the maintenance schedule on ANY car, you see that theres a Service before date along side of the mileage due; 99.999% of people ignore the service date and just follow the mileage ticker- seals/hoses/any petroleum based anything deteriorate and lose their integrity. Ive seen several SLs for sale in person since I bought my last one and 9 times out of 10 the seller is either:
A. too stupid to answer my questions.

or

B. Know exactly what my questions are, but will play stupid.

Most recently I looked at a 97' Pano SL500 for $5500 at a used car lot that was beat to hell. In the ad it said "come take a test drive with the top down". When i showed up, the roll bar wouldn't come down, the button flashed, and the top wouldn't come off unless i used the special tool, but the car salesman was swearing up and down that its totally fine and that i have nothing to worry about (i didn't let on that I know my SLs and have one myself- I showed up in my mother's Camry).. I talked him down on the price worth buying for the top alone, but i didn't buy the car from them based purely on principle; they were charlatans, and refuse to let of my money to such people regardless of if its a deal or not.

Long story made short, and to repeat myself again: its worth what you're willing to sell it for and thats the end of it. Someone will come along and buy it, but it just may take some time.

Sorry for the short novel.

-Ben

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.