Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 SE EURO!
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean like 500SE e.g.

I have noticed that Mercedes alwys had the numbers first then the letters. Now the newer ones have letters first then numbers, whats the reason behind it ? Is it because they wanted to start a new trend since chrystler bought them ? to distinct Mercedes made by Chrystler made? I dont know just wondering...

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 560SEL
578 Posts
f1crazydriver said:
I mean like 500SE e.g.

I have noticed that Mercedes alwys had the numbers first then the letters. Now the newer ones have letters first then numbers, whats the reason behind it ? Is it because they wanted to start a new trend since chrystler bought them ? to distinct Mercedes made by Chrystler made? I dont know just wondering...
Did Chrysler buy Daimler? Or did Daimler buy Chrysler? How did a company that was not making great profits and dying (Chrysler) buy a longstanding profit making firm (Daimler)?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
IT was touted as a merging of equals.. Turned out to be anything but. Mercedes essentially took over Chrysler. Now, if it wasn't for Chrysler Mercedes would be in a hill of ....

as for the names I'd wager MB/DC was just aiming for something fresh.

Jonathan

·
Registered
03 ML500, 94 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR
975 Posts
jhodg5ck said:
IT was touted as a merging of equals.. Turned out to be anything but. Mercedes essentially took over Chrysler. Now, if it wasn't for Chrysler Mercedes would be in a hill of ....
as for the names I'd wager MB/DC was just aiming for something fresh.
Jonathan
The badge change was revise in 1994 I think. Dont know why

·
Registered
2000 ml320 1986 560sel 1973 280se4.5
76 Posts
At first, S was large body, E indicated fuel injection, L was long wheelbase. Later it was decided to use E for mid-size car, C for small, and S for large.

·
Registered
Euro 500SEC 1987
21 Posts
What the letters mean

S = Sonderklasse = In a league of it's own
E = Einspritzung = Injection (petrol car)
L = Lange = Long Wheelbase
C = Coupe(i.e. SEC)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts