Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
ML55AMG
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my drilled rotors this Friday. I have done some search's on the forums, but the rear rotors seem to have a trick involved on taking them off. Has anyone here changed the rear brakes? What are these clips i keep hearing about?
I'm hoping to do the this weekend. It's going to be a "hot" 45 degrees.
Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
'00 ML430, '97 E320
165 Posts
The other posts are probably referring to the parking brake adjustors. You have to use a small flat blade screw driver through a lug hole (wheel off). The position should be around 4 to 5 oclock but could be 1 to 2 if adjustor was installed upside down. The adjustor is just a nut with teeth on it and screw driver moves it. To loosen, move from right to left.

·
Registered
ML55AMG
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JG.
But what does that adjustor do?

"The adjustor is just a nut with teeth on it and screw driver moves it. To loosen, move from right to left."

How would i put the rotor on. do i have to adjust anything after screwing around with the adjustor?

And when you say "move from right to left" what do you mean?

·
Registered
'00 ML430, '97 E320
165 Posts
Here is a picture from my ML430, should be very similar if not the same as your 55. The adjustor is used to set the parking brake shoe distance from the drum. If it is not set right, your parking brake will drag or will not engage when you want it to. When you install a new rotor, you want to "tighten" the parking brakes until you can not turn wheel. Then back off the adjustment until wheel turns freely (5-7 clicks). It clicks because the geared nut recessed on the spring.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts