Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,383 Posts
Hey Olivier,

Well I am in the market for a new car. I am looking at late 60's Fiat Dino Coupe's, pre '99 Diablo SV's, G500's, and the Q-porte's. It's very hard buying cars in Colorado due to lack of dealers/private sellers who have anything like those. I am also toying around with 1995-6 Rolls and Bentleys. Right now I'm just getting chauffeured around by the guy who I gave my S74 to lol--nothing like riding in the back of a V12 W140 :cool:
I remember reading when you got the SL74 that you harvested the engine for that 140 (I mostly post on the 129 forum). It's really hard to take any of these posts seriously when you come off as a completely rich and obnoxious person.

The SL74 RennTech car you bought was basically my dream car and you just stole the engine. Then you got sick of the car and gave it away for free? And you're asking for help with Rolls Royce builds, and putting an M120 into a lambo.

I'm not poor by any means, but I actually have to work for a living. I don't think people on this board have the amount of disposable income you have.

I know you're only like 22. Your parents are pieces of crap for spoiling you that bad. The W210 benz can be a great car. All of your posts are flames against MB cars where you brag about crazy builds. You might as well make YouTube videos of yourself setting hundreds of thousands of dollars on fire while you rant about how hard life is.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,383 Posts
"Hey guys, is it just me, or are W210s unreliable pieces of crap?

So check out this crazy story. I dropped $35,000 on a SL74, took the engine and put it into my W140. What a bunch of boring crap. Gave it to my buddy lol :cool: I treat him like my butler and I ride in the back of the car i gave him. Hey, I have a bunch of money (see picture).

Do you guys know where I can spend it? I'm looking to do a build where I like get a Bentley and then put a 60 HP diesel into it, just for fun. I'm also on the look for lambos, since I can get a crate MB engine for only $40,000."

:eek:

That's basically how my brain translates his posts. I'm not trying to troll the forum. I love the W210; everyone I know that's had one has had great experiences. Designed by the same guy who did the styling for the 129 :) Someone had to post this

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,891 Posts
My W210 has 110k miles and it has almost been as reliable as a Honda. What people don't realize is that any Tom, Dick, and Harry can BUY a used Benz. Its the upkeep on them that is somewhat more expensive due to slightly more expensive parts and usually more expensive labor if you are not a DIY. Then these people start skimping, buying Chinese aftermarket parts and taking these cars to the local "Spanky the mechanic". This is the reason these cars end up becoming unreliable. If you are not a DIYer, the best way to deal with this is by acting smart and being proactive and put away $100/month in your car's maintenance piggy bank so when you do need servicing, you can afford to buy the genuine parts (which have become way cheap due to internet competition) and FIND A GOOD MB INDEPENDENT MECHANIC! If you cannot to the above by is the least you should be doing if you are poor and own an MB, walk away and buy a Honda. Period. If you keep the car properly maintained and use excellent quality parts, then it will be rare to go over $1200/year for proper upkeep IMO unless your car wasn't maintained properly by the previous owner and by you. I have done DIYs mostly, and recently looking at some records, have spent a total of around $2500 in the past 4.5 years which comes to about $555.55/year!! Some things were DIYs and some were done by indies because I didn't have a lift or power tools.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My grandfather has a w210 with about 250.000 miles (400.000Km) and the only thing that has gone wrong so far is the reverse sensor. Evertthing else is perfect. The quality is amazing and the suspension buttery smooth. I couldnt believe that other w210's have all of theese problems

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,717 Posts
I couldn't believe everyone saying that the W210 is now 10 years old and then looked at the dates. The W210, like the R129, falls into 2 categories - since they are so cheap many have had neglected maintenance and have fallen to disrepair. And because of the market value once you get behind the maintenance curve it is hard to bring them back.

My W210 - the E430 - was bought new by my father and has been in the family ever since - driven sparingly (3,000-5,000 miles/year until I got it.

In 2 years I have put on 30,000 miles, including a 4,200 mile trip though Texas a few months ago. It now has 112,000 miles.

Anything wrong has always gotten fixed.

Do that and they will go many miles and years.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts