Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
For a guy that's in the Middle of Nowhere, it's obvious why he's getting so much business. His 20' neon sign says "We Fix All Mercedes W210s-Whether They Need It Or Not - Free Courtesy W140s - Our Repairs Never Take Less Than 30 Days - All Major Bank Cards Accepted AWA Sub-Prime Mortgages" All he's missing are the day old donuts; correction he's got those too.
Too funny! :D

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Geez, MB Fahrer, for a guy who doesn't own a Mercedes, you sure like to trash them. If you have owned one, you ought to list it instead of your RENNtech "give away".

He's like a doctor that complains about all the sick people coming to see him. Ugh.

Cheers -- Greg
2000 E320 Sedan - Brilliant Silver
Posted from my iPhone!
I have just gotten fed up with them. I would love to like Mercedes, but they are not for me. I have owned a '94 SL74 that then became an SL600 after I stole the engine for the W140, a '99 SL500, an '87 190e 2.3-16 that became a Sonax DTM car, a '96 C220, and I still own my '72 280sel that is undergoing a full restoration with help (parts wise) from the Classic Center in Irvine. Mercedes are wonderful cars, but far too much of a headache for me. It's far too long of a story for now, but I came to run the MB shop mostly out of "convenience" (and to keep the head tech around). Besides the W108's, I have yet to find another MB that I truly love. I paid a measly $1200 for the 280 with 155k on the clock and two prior owners. It is a total POS at the moment, but even so it was far more enjoyable than all the other Mercedes. It puts a smile on my face when I take it for a spin, whereas with the others I fret constantly about something breaking lol.

I'll get back on the board later I've got to put an M120 back together :cool:

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
Hi Fahrer,
What do you like then instead of the MB then? What do you drive that is less headache?
Olivier

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey Olivier,

Well I am in the market for a new car. I am looking at late 60's Fiat Dino Coupe's, pre '99 Diablo SV's, G500's, and the Q-porte's. It's very hard buying cars in Colorado due to lack of dealers/private sellers who have anything like those. I am also toying around with 1995-6 Rolls and Bentleys. Right now I'm just getting chauffeured around by the guy who I gave my S74 to lol--nothing like riding in the back of a V12 W140 :cool: I have come to the realization that power and comfort aren't everything to look for in a car. I want something fun--that makes you smile rather than have a migraine. I am open to any suggestions and my price range is flexible. Any ideas or thoughts? I wouldn't mind test driving one of the Brabus W210's either to be honest. How many of the 7.3L's did they make? I saw an E60 Brabus (or RENNtech?) for sale a while back, but the previous owner had put stupid wheels, tinted all the lights... I just had a bad feeling about it.

Ricky

I should clarify:

I don't expect cars to work perfectly 100% of the time. All cars have problems. I suppose you could say that the ratio of "driving pleasure" to "maintenance headache" should be such that you can deal with it. Not the best way to phrase it I'm sure, but my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hi Ricky,
The question was more for me, as I have a W210 and its amazing how rotten they get :( then I am annoyed, really.
In the UK they do not cost much anymore, talking about the E300TD W210, as the cost to maintain them on the road alone is astronomus as they rot everywhere :eek:
When I got mine it was about 10 year old and I had to get the front welded, the perch replaced by MB as a goodwill ( thank you) the rear subframe support welded, 2 new front wings, all bushes have been replaced as thay all perished etc... Now, this is not something I would have expected on a 10 years old car made by MB...
I run on veg :eek: , then your suggstions above are not really for me, unfortunatly :crybaby2: as I would love a Bentley :p
Mind you there was a chap here who put a 606 in a Bentley, now , this is what I would like :thumbsup:
I need a good auld diesel that run on WVO, fun and rust free , which is not the W210 in the UK...
Olivier

·
Registered
E55 2006 / E55 2000 / White Odyssey
169 Posts
Come on ! if you want a reliable car then buy Toyota Camry or Corolla but after 10 to 15 years, they also have problems. Mercedes might have more gadget than Camry but when you own a Mercedes, pay some extra to keep it running is normal. I used to have 97 Camry with 130K miles, it was a good car but also put some money on it. There is no perfect car without fixing.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I am not talking about maintaining the car here, I am talking about the car getting totally rotten/ corroded and all bushes needed replacement, now, after 10 years, this is excessive! I have some metal fences here that are over 100 years old and are out in the Scottish weather, near the sea, and they are still rock solid, pitted I agree, but solid, the chassis and body of the W210 fell apart after 10 years... Go figure.... I repeat, fell apart... Maintenace, I agree, we all need some, rotting and needing major welding after 10 years, nope. Then, to quote you, C'mon!
I am talking about something like this:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1486236-rear-subframe-bushes-seat-rusty-like.html

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
...I used to have 97 Camry with 130K miles, it was a good car but also put some money on it...
Funny coincidence, maybe. I just hit 130,000 on a 1991 Camry and it's one of my daily drivers. I've put money into it as well; a power steering pump, 3rd water pump, a couple of timing belts, valve cover leaks, and 3 half-axles (leaking CV boots) come to mind. Not to mention a pretty expensive service every 30,000. But cosmetically, it looks as good as any car I know of that sees daily action.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Funny coincidence, maybe. I just hit 130,000 on a 1991 Camry and it's one of my daily drivers. I've put money into it as well; a power steering pump, 3rd water pump, a couple of timing belts, valve cover leaks, and 3 half-axles (leaking CV boots) come to mind. Not to mention a pretty expensive service every 30,000. But cosmetically, it looks as good as any car I know of that sees daily action.
See, even Camry need to put money on it to keep it running. I live in California so no problem at all with rust. However, my parents live in Canada Montreal, they do anti-rust every 2 years. They had a Integra 92 and sold it to a friend and still runs today. its almost 20 years car but if you maintain the car it should be OK. Montreal snows a lot so people prepare their car with anti-rust for $90.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What does "anti-rust" consist of? I've never even heard of that before. I'm assuming it's like bed-liner?

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
I get no respect ......

I havent taken any of my 210's to a garage in years.
I have one that is still under 500,000 miles.
You have some in-breads that you can soak for thousands of dollars,,,, oh,,, you are a shop,,, you already know that don't you.
An S car,,,,, oh come now..

B

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks for the links I'm going to get my hands on some of that stuff. I hate driving any car in the winter here (which are nothing compared to Canadian winters) because of all the salt they dump on the roads. I am nutty about having "perfect" cars lol. I used to not even take my nicer cars out in the rain of all the things. I still have a couple cars I'm going to sell that don't get taken out unless it's a perfect, sunny day with no chance of rain or wind :confused:

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
?

Gee, I was about to start looking for a really nice W210 E320 with a reasonable amount of miles. Then I read the many posts on this forum and got cold feet; I mean really cold feet. I'm thinking now just to keep my '78 280SE, which is in excellent condition. Poor gas mileage, but cruises well and looks so very "classic." W210s do have a big advantage over my '78 in at least one critical department---a/c. Oh, well.
Hemersam

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gee, I was about to start looking for a really nice W210 E320 with a reasonable amount of miles. Then I read the many posts on this forum and got cold feet; I mean really cold feet. I'm thinking now just to keep my '78 280SE, which is in excellent condition. Poor gas mileage, but cruises well and looks so very "classic." W210s do have a big advantage over my '78 in at least one critical department---a/c. Oh, well.
Hemersam
Don't be scared of W210, its very reliable. People post in here because they have problems, issues..... There still a lot of W210 owner in this planet so all the comments are from around the world (most from US) but there are so many W210 out there with only this posts. There are more Mercedes enthusiast than Camry that why more people post in Mercedes forum. You won't find Camry forum talking how to change engine mount.......

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,891 Posts
Well I am now the general manager/owner of a MB repair/sales shop… I am flooded with all these W120's! Every single W210 that drives into my shop has; high miles, broken glowplugs, a/c problems, seat switch problems, CAN issues, sensor nightmares of all kinds, overheating, etc, etc, etc… I used to think the W140's were the "worst" Mercedes to try to keep running, now I truly believe it is the W210. Anybody have any insight into this? Am I just getting bad W210's or are they roaches in general?

Just curious! Hope I didn't offend! :thumbsup:

Ricky
Are you getting bad w210s? Well of course you are. They are supposed to be broken down if they have to come to you.:) Just like a physician who mostly sees people who are sick. He rarely sees healthy people in this office who are health conscious and getting their yearly physical. You just got a bunch of W210s in. That's all.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport Sedan
387 Posts
My '99 E320 just turned 145,000 miles. I bought it with 84,000 back in '05. It has been the best car i have ever owned, and i have had over 50 in my life. I plan to own it another 10 years. I do all my own work on it but it hardley ever needs any thing. Last thing i had to do was the brake switch, that was over 2 years ago.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts