Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only been marginally impressed with most of the wheel cleaners I have tried. I have an '07 SL550 with the AMG package. The 5 spoke AMG wheels look great when you clean the "dish" all the way through but it is a pain to do. Looking for a good spray on/off cleaner and a great brush to get up in there!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Several MB's
352 Posts
I have only been marginally impressed with most of the wheel cleaners I have tried. I have an '07 SL550 with the AMG package. The 5 spoke AMG wheels look great when you clean the "dish" all the way through but it is a pain to do. Looking for a good spray on/off cleaner and a great brush to get up in there!

Thanks in advance.
As far as a spray on cleaner is concerned none are as good as a good car wash soap and a sponge or a wash mit. Autogeek.net has a great brush that will let you get into the inside barrel of the wheel. I have the 2 piece 19" AMG wheels on my SL55 and it works great on them. Since your rotors are not as big as the AMG's that brush will be super effective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As Lou K mentioned, water and soap works really well on marginally dirty wheels. If you have a decent amount of grime and trying to get the barrell clean (I alwasy do), the try Adams Polishes Green wheel cleaner. I think I've used just about every wheel cleaner available out there and this one works pretty well. Also, the brush mentioned by Lou K works wonders!! Very safe to use on clearcoated wheels. Usually, once a month, I'll remove the wheels and give them a nice detail (get all the road tar and grime off and wax them). Keep them looking new:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
The best regimen by far is one I learned from the Porsche forums over on Rennlist. There's a product called RejeX that's a polymer coating (use it instead of wax). Ultra high gloss, long lasting, nothing sticks to it -- including brake dust. USe RejeX on your wheels and for about 4-6 months as a daily driver very little road grime and brake dust will adhere. And what does, you can just rinse off with a good blast from a water hose. Great stuff. HIGHLY recommended.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Meguires wheel cleaner is pretty good for getting off baked on brake dust. Simple Green or fantastic should be good for normal use.

But you should take the wheels off regularily and wash them inside and out. Then there wont be that baked on scum and you can just wash them as normal painted surfaces with simple green. Thats all it is , a normal automotive base coat clear coat painted surface.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts