Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
SLK32
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just called up saying that the Slk would not start. Since I am out of town, she called up AAA and was told the battery has 1 bad cell. I am not sure how old this battery is as I bought the car used about 1.6 years ago.

I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me the best source for battery, ebay or online, or local stores. From cheapest to the best, all ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
620 Posts
I bought both for my Land Rover and my SLK from Advance also. Great warranties and never have had any problem with either one. Both were about $60.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Look for an Interstate battery, they are the US approved alternate battery for Mercedes. I've had two so far, and have been very pleased with their life and power.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,189 Posts
Walmart has good prices too. I used to be concerned about brand names until I did some telecommunications work at a battery plant in the late 90's. There were guys sitting at a conveyor belt applying labels to batteries as they past. There were labels for an assortment of auto parts stores and other types of stores going onto the same batteries.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,694 Posts
There has been an Interstate in our current w163 for 2 years. Our old w163 had the original MB battery for 7 years when it was replaced with another MB battery. As if you call, they will come out and install for the price of the battery. My w126 has a battery from Advanced Auto and that works fine as well. I believe this was the cheapest of all the batteries.

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
I would second the Interstate recommendation. I've used them for years in a variety of cars and motorcycles and they tend to outperform most other batteries. The downsides are that they tend to cost more than other batteries and have relatively narrower distributor networks. If you're unable to locate an Interstate distributor near you, my second choice would be a Sears Diehard. Good batteries and Sears is ubiquitous.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
What kind of life you got out of Interstate ?
Typically 5 years, or until your wife wrecks the car, whichever is shorter... :)

·
Registered
SLK32
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought both for my Land Rover and my SLK from Advance also. Great warranties and never have had any problem with either one. Both were about $60.
Price seems good. AAA wanted $150 for the battery and of course I do not know what type.

No advance auto store in Seattle or Las Vegas :(

·
Registered
SLK32
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would second the Interstate recommendation. I've used them for years in a variety of cars and motorcycles and they tend to outperform most other batteries. The downsides are that they tend to cost more than other batteries and have relatively narrower distributor networks. If you're unable to locate an Interstate distributor near you, my second choice would be a Sears Diehard. Good batteries and Sears is ubiquitous.
So I checked Interstate and the only battery I could find the cheapest there was like $161 plus tax. That seems to a lot of difference compared to what other members paid at Advance Auto.

Sears Online, does not carry a battery for the SLK. They want me to visit the store..

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Battery prices have nearly doubled here over the last 2-3 yrs here due to the high lead prices so I guess you'll have to compare local pricing - any price quoted from 2 odd yrs ago is probably going to be cheaper than now.

Bruce

·
Registered
159 Posts
Our battery died just a couple of weeks ago. Called the MBZ dealer for a price and they suggested the "free" MBZ Roadside Service. $148 for a 24 month MBZ battery (installed)...not even gold plated! :eek: Sent them on their way.

We had a Sears 31248 Diehard 70 month battery which replaced the original and lasted almost six years. Very happy with it and a new one would have been about $130. But based on numerous recommendations on this and other forums and several glowing reviews from MBZ, BMW and Audi owners we ended up putting in an Interstate MTP-91; 84 month warranty, $109.99 from Firestone. Fits perfectly and hopefully it will last as long or longer than the Sears model.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
You can call 1-800-FOR-MERC - they will come over and install new battery. You only pay what dealer charges for the battery.
+1

Called them, came out pretty quick, diagnosed the system (even though I already knew it was just the battery), replaced it with a new MB battery for about $135 and took the old battery away. Didn't even get my hands dirty doing the dialing.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
620 Posts
Damn! For convenience and a "no muss, no fuss" rating, I give that an A+!

But in the category of fiduciary benefit (and bragging rights. LOL!!), I think the Advance auto parts way gets an A+, for about half that price.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Haha, wasn't that a few years ago? So lets see, $65 for battery, and a time machine and you are set. But say your time machine was in the shop, you'll have to fork over $122 at Advanced Auto for a battery for your SLK there. So yes, it is cheaper, but did you factor in mileage (irs is 58 cents/mile) to the store and back twice?

Titanium Battery - Advance Auto Parts

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
620 Posts
LOL!!! I had to check the receipt on that. It was 7/24/07, and I was off on the price. It was actually $82.58 back then. A quick call to my local Advance Auto (barely 1 mile from my house and only 1 trip) revealed the price today would be $94.46.

It's a judgment call whether the $40 difference is worth it. Certainly, the tech being able to diagnose any additional issues is a big plus, in addition to the convenience factor.

Kudos on a good deal for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts