Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 450SL
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,223 Posts
NormanB said:
I just bought the 73 450SL in this link http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1312351-considering-buying-73-450sl-comments-please.html.

Now I wish to change some of the seals due to age. So, being I know nothing about replacements I'll start with a few assumptions and ask everyone here to set me straight.

1. Rip out the old one
2. Clean the area the new seal will go
3. Attach the new seal

Are the seals self stick? If not, what do I use as an adhesive?

Thanks
Try this: http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs66S&UBCOrrrrQ-

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
NormanB said:
nobby I tried it and I got a blank screen, but nothing happened. :(
I tried the link and got a data sheet on 3M super weatherstrip adhesive.
No, the new seals are not peel and stick. Most people recommend that if you are going to paint the car to wait until after painting to install new weatherstripping.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
NormanB said:
I wish to change some of the seals due to age. So, being I know nothing about replacements I'll start with a few assumptions and ask everyone here to set me straight.

1. Rip out the old one
2. Clean the area the new seal will go
3. Attach the new seal
It depends on the seals you're replacing. Most of them require a seal adhesive, and 3M seems to be the popular brand. The ones around the windows (on the soft top or the hard top, and on the A pillar) are pretty easy to change, just fussy. You need to be detail oriented if you're going to do it yourself.

I've got all new seals around my windows - at least when the soft top is on. When I had the new canvas top installed I bought new seals for the installer to put on, and I replaced the seals on the A pillar myself. The A pillar seals didn't use adhesive, and it took me a Friday evening/Saturday morning to do it. By Saturday afternoon I was driving with windows that sealed up tight when I wanted them to, and it looked worlds better.

I'm also going to be replacing all the door/trunk/boot seals, but I'm waiting until after I get the car painted. Those will definitely require adhesive, and I've heard it's a bear to get the trunk applied so the trunk seals properly and doesn't leak every time the car gets wet.

·
Registered
73 450SL
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this time I have no intension of painting the car. The two seals I most would like to replace are the A piller and the hatch seal. By the way are there two seals for the hatch?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
NormanB said:
By the way are there two seals for the hatch?
Tell me what the hatch is and I'll tell you whether there's two seals.

·
Registered
73 450SL
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ScottinSoCal said:
Tell me what the hatch is and I'll tell you whether there's two seals.
What I'm calling the hatch is the cover over where the soft top is stored.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
NormanB said:
What I'm calling the hatch is the cover over where the soft top is stored.
Ah - we call that the boot. No, there's just one seal and it wraps all the way around the back.

·
Registered
73 450SL
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ScottinSoCal said:
Ah - we call that the boot. No, there's just one seal and it wraps all the way around the back.
Scott, thanks for setting me straight. I've been lurking here and at several other forums for about 8 months, but have owned a 450SL for only a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts