Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What is over your head while driving your 107?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snow forecast tonight 1-3 inches, so I put on the metal hardtop. Have not posted a poll since the board makeover, so this is practice with a hard question.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
39 Posts
Tomorrow's forecast is 82F here in North San Diego county, so my 1986 doesn't really need the hard top on, but I'm in the midst of a garage organizing project, and have nowhere to put it. Check out the clutter blocking the SL in! I have the top support bracket, with it's garage ceiling pulley, but don't yet trust that thing enough to support an almost 100 lb hard top over the car.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,101 Posts
I took the old lady for a spin on Saturday, breezy crispy air around 8deg C. Luckily the V8 produces such astronomical amouts of heat that I didn't even feel the cold 😎

·
Registered
1987 560SL Signal Red!
93 Posts
Just put the hard top on yesterday. we got 5 inch of snow today....snow tires are on as well..

·
Registered
1986 560SL 1986 420 SEL
82 Posts
Mine sad to say is parked inside for the winter. The hard top is stored in the rafters wrapped in a tarp. I have only seen the hard top twice in the 17 years I've owned it.

It's unseasonably cold in Wisconsin this fall.

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1969 280SL(113)
100 Posts
I will be back to mine in USA late next week. Presently hard top is off but car is covered in garage. If weather is good when I arrive, first ride will be sans hardtop!

·
Registered
1990 300E 4Matic, 1987 560SL
391 Posts
Just think, next spring when the Pig comes out of hibernation you'll be retired! The hibernation clock is ticking for me (rain turning to snow showers this afternoon), so I'm trying to squeeze in every bit of top down driving that I can no matter what the temperature is.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,151 Posts
Just think, next spring when the Pig comes out of hibernation you'll be retired! The hibernation clock is ticking for me (rain turning to snow showers this afternoon), so I'm trying to squeeze in every bit of top down driving that I can no matter what the temperature is.
That's the thing.
It won't be next spring.
I won't have a Pig Pen until late September.
Sigh.

·
29,151 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,654 Posts
Soft Top, or No Top but nary a Hard Top :)

Here in North Carolina its top down from Spring to late Fall, then Soft Top.

Hard Tops are just a waste of Garage Space.
Must be 20 years since I had the hard top on my 380SL.
Almost 5 years since I purchased a hard top for my 560SL, put it on for a few days and then took it off and its been sitting there ever since.

·
Premium Member
1985 380SL
130 Posts
She's In the garage until spring with the top down. Hard top is in the basement. I've never driven the car in rain or snow. Time to throw some Stabil in and get to work on her.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
55 Posts
YOU....need a windblocker.
I've thought about it, but here in Georgia, there are too many good days when I wouldn't need it and too few bad days to justify having it. The low tomorrow is 25 degrees, so it's staying warm in the garage. I know in your neck of the woods, 25 degrees means break out the BBQ, but it's a little too chilly for me.

·
Registered
1990 300E 4Matic, 1987 560SL
391 Posts
That's the thing.
It won't be next spring.
I won't have a Pig Pen until late September.
Sigh.
Oh. That's not good. The roads will still be there once you're squared away though. Looking at the pics of your home site, I'll bet that the roads, and scenery are spectacular in the area that you'll be in.

·
29,151 Posts
I've thought about it, but here in Georgia, there are too many good days when I wouldn't need it and too few bad days to justify having it. The low tomorrow is 25 degrees, so it's staying warm in the garage. I know in your neck of the woods, 25 degrees means break out the BBQ, but it's a little too chilly for me.
So now I'm guessing you've never tried one. It changes your driving experience even in good weather......no more wind buffeting your ears....keeps your hair (and wife's) in one place....and you can have a conversation and or listen to the radio.
Cold weather....blocker and windows up heater on.......you'll extend your driving season.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,756 Posts
So now I'm guessing you've never tried one. It changes your driving experience even in good weather......no more wind buffeting your ears....keeps your hair (and wife's) in one place....and you can have a conversation and or listen to the radio.
Cold weather....blocker and windows up heater on.......you'll extend your driving season.
It will pay for itself in lost hats. ;)

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
436 Posts
I recently repainted the hard top and installed a hoist in my garage, so it is presently on the car. I like to be warm when its cold, and even in Alabama this week it is cold (33 F yesterday). If we have a warm day, I can take it off in few minutes and enjoy.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts