Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
788 Posts
Stoeing it for the Winter...

·
Registered
1988 560SL 50K
711 Posts
Always wondered why MB thought a couple of 4" dash speakers were good enough for a car in this price range.

But wondering about this one from JoeB :
"Bonnet hinges.
Poor opening angle means any 'real' work requires removal, else you want to cause yourself physical harm to the back of your skull or your lower spine. "

Do know that the hood can open a full 90 degrees to near vertical ? Most all Mercedes of the period have this feature.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,421 Posts
Always wondered why MB thought a couple of 4" dash speakers were good enough for a car in this price range.

"Bonnet hinges.
Poor opening angle means any 'real' work requires removal, else you want to cause yourself physical harm to the back of your skull or your lower spine. "

Do know that the hood can open a full 90 degrees to near vertical ? Most all Mercedes of the period have this feature.
Yeah, you just gotta remove two spring clips and the hood will open all the way... but you better make sure something is holding it open or you're in for a big surprise.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,767 Posts
From perspective of late 60's and early 70's of the last century, I struggle to find anything objectionable on a 50yo car
Sure there are things that could have been better but the same apples to classic cars and yet we tend see them in the era they were designed, not as modern cars. The plethora of modern features on old cars seem to have the propensity to shift the view outside car's true time frame.

So... I may be able to offload a few of these dreaded cars from selected few....heck I'll pay 1000 bucks each ;-)

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
21,931 Posts
I HATE the big tree limb that landed on it Thursday morning in the wind storm. View attachment 2608214
OUCH! Damn. Very sorry. :(

I try to remember to move my outdoor cars to places that I’ve decided are safe from this type of stuff. We had heavy winds a few days ago, AND then a birthday party for my son in the driveway. So I had my own little r107 car show going on. Or should I call it a GTG (with myself)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
21,931 Posts
"Bonnet hinges.

IMO it’s much easier to remove the hood than it is to remove the cowl vent grills which will get destroyed (and probably chip hood paint too) if you don’t remove them before attempting to go much higher than the spring-support hinges allow.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
24 Posts
OUCH! Damn. Very sorry. :(

I try to remember to move my outdoor cars to places that I’ve decided are safe from this type of stuff. We had heavy winds a few days ago, AND then a birthday party for my son in the driveway. So I had my own little r107 car show going on. Or should I call it a GTG (with myself)?

Well I am more or less a newbie and even I knew this post had to be Fonzie - nice 107 collection!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts