Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I woke up this morning I was greeted by a balmy outdoor temperature of 2 C ( 36 F). By 2.00 PM it had risen to a torrid 7 C (44 F) - definitely time to raise the top so I could steal a few more trips prior to storage without freezing.to death. This is my least favorite thing about the 107. Raising and lowering the top is a pain and it gets worse with increasing age as the whole mechanism seems to increase its weight every year. I take every precaution to tuck in the edges when storing the top in spring yet somehow, when raising it back up again those same damned edges turn up away from the body and look awful until I put weights on them to restore the shape and appearance. Messing around with the two threaded bolts to fit into the headliner sockets seems to be a persnickety task at best, sometimes surprisingly easy but more frequently aggravating in the extreme and the locking bolt at the rear seems ever less willing to perform its task.without being bullied into place. My old '74 Buick convertible was a snap and just as weatherproof as the Benz - surely MB could have come up with a simpler, less time consuming design?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm with you that putting the top up and down is no fun, but I blame the weather more than anything. My wife thinks I'm afraid to take my car out in the rain, but in reality, I'd just rather take hers than deal with the soft-top. Plus there are a few small tears in the fabric that I'm sure will just grow longer with each up/down cycle.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,594 Posts
When I woke up this morning I was greeted by a balmy outdoor temperature of 2 C ( 36 F). By 2.00 PM it had risen to a torrid 7 C (44 F) - definitely time to raise the top so I could steal a few more trips prior to storage without freezing.to death. This is my least favorite thing about the 107. Raising and lowering the top is a pain and it gets worse with increasing age as the whole mechanism seems to increase its weight every year. I take every precaution to tuck in the edges when storing the top in spring yet somehow, when raising it back up again those same damned edges turn up away from the body and look awful until I put weights on them to restore the shape and appearance. Messing around with the two threaded bolts to fit into the headliner sockets seems to be a persnickety task at best, sometimes surprisingly easy but more frequently aggravating in the extreme and the locking bolt at the rear seems ever less willing to perform its task.without being bullied into place. My old '74 Buick convertible was a snap and just as weatherproof as the Benz - surely MB could have come up with a simpler, less time consuming design?
Did you receive my PM about PMs?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I am working on my wife's E320, so she is using my usual car - the 85 300D. So I have to drive the SL.

Yesterday, I used it to drive to golf. 3C at time. We are on lake and it was cold! So I headed inland and took a back way in through a subdivision. Slower and warmer. It took a while to be effective, but I had heat cranked full on and windows up. But top down! Got quite a few comments at course! But then some guys turned up in shorts :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Really? My top is really easy to fold away. In fact, when I'm not driving the car, the top goes back up to avoid duck tailing.

Could you hinges need lubricating (on the car) for the soft top?

·
Registered
23 Posts
On my '85, when I got it a few years ago it had the original top. This could be virtually thrown back and it would go nicely into the well with no fuss. The top was easier to put down than to put up. The new top installed this year is a different story, it takes a couple trips to each side of the car to get everything tucked and folded properly in so it will not destroy the cover seals or scratch the windows. (I am now scared to death of scratching the rear windows!). Putting it up is now far easier than putting it down

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you receive my PM about PMs?
You're dealing with an electronically challenged ignoramus. Don't even know what a PM is - even following instructions is difficult as boxes, dots and instructions that are clear to everyone else seem to fail to show up on my screen.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,594 Posts
PMs were Private Messages. They are now Conversations. What are you using to view the site? Here are the three dots circled:

Screenshot_2019-10-10 What's not to like in your 107 (1).png

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,594 Posts
Sorry I was addressing the 3 dot comment and forgot PM instructions. Click on your profile Avatar by the Dots and then the envelope Conversations.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm used to owning and driving new cars with 4 year warranties. This is my first experience with a car that's 30 years old, and I'm always worried about it breaking down somewhere. I guess that's why I only average about 1,000 miles a year, and rarely drive it too far from home.

As far as putting the top up and down, I put it down in the spring, never drive it unless the sun is out, and put the top back up in the fall before putting it away for the winter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can't think of anything I don't like about a 107 - one that works as it should. I always wanted one from the first time I really looked at one in around 1975. Now that I have one I mostly hate it, only because there is still so much that does not work right. I have repaired a 100 things in the past 18 months I have owned it, but it still has a 100 more things to fix. I have learned a lot about it from this forum and am looking forward to the day when most things work as they should.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
What do I dislike about my '83 107? Let me count the ways...
Allen head screws and bolts.
Single use blocks that require re-tapping if you ever have the nerve to remove a head bolt (also Allen bolts).
Parts that can't be removed until you take half the car apart.
Everything behind the dashboard.
The dashboard.
A fuse box location that requires a trip to the chiropractor to access.
A frequency valve afterthought.
An auxiliary air pump that runs for 10 seconds after startup and doesn't run again until the next time you start the car.
Bumpers that look like bench seats.
Front sub-frames that are too weak.
Ignition switches that can't be removed without a key.
The keys.
Odometer gears made from disappearing plastic.
The hidden analog non-computer.
Exploding chain guides.

What do I love about my 107? Driving it.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,099 Posts
I just hate the seat height adjuster. It never holds in place .:(
Maybe I'm too used to electric seats.
Adjustment mechanism springs and some lube.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,099 Posts
What I dislike:
Location of the WUR and oil changes because of the location of the oil filter housing.
The likes far outway the dislikes, however.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
What I dislike? The following:

Things I detest:
  • Steering Coupler - hard to access
  • those stupid allen head bolts on the Steering Coupler, Distributor hold down, etc.
  • weak Air Condition output
  • Climate Controls - much prefer manual controls
  • USA front and rear bumpers
  • Timing Chain in 380SLs
  • Fuse panel hard to access
  • Poor location of Relay Modules (behind glove box)
  • plastic window in soft top - a car of this calibre and cost should have glass
  • Monovalve's default to full blast heat on malfunction or when power is removed
  • E-brake adjustment requires removal of Exhaust
  • poor Rust prevention
  • plastic gears in Odometer
  • Stance - better to have lowered the front end somewhat
  • plastic in rear view mirror deteriorates into a floppy mirror
  • floppy Sunvisors in pre-1986 models
  • Mercedes Benz the company
  • very few shops know how to work on these cars anymore.
Things that are quaint:
  • manual soft top
  • manual driver side mirror
  • big ass steering wheel
Things that I like:
  • overall design, styling, convertible, 2 seater
  • overall build quality - better than USA, English, or Italian cars
  • Factory manuals with part numbers
  • This Forum for DIY help and information
  • Can purchase parts cars cheaply, and sell parts you don't need
  • 3-rd party parts support
  • Mercedes parts availability

·
Registered
762 Posts
Now that the timing is actually set correctly--not MB 74 spec--absolutely nothing. It's fun to drive, gets up & goes, gets positive comments wherever I go with it, looks great, etc., etc. Oh, yeah--the huge steering wheel could be a bit smaller...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts