Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
A lot of info left out, but I'd not bet on value being over $6000. I'd say closer to $4000 on a good day, but probably less. No one wants to buy these gas guzzling money pits in these economic times.

Brett

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
Just paid $9k for a 1992 600SEL with 75k miles on the clock. In PERFECT condition. Thought I got a steal. It was on the market for $15k, but like others have said, nobody came to look at it because the market conditions and the 'image' of the 12-cylinder motor being a gas hog.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Yep and I paid less than $4000 for it. I gave the guy $2000 plus a Nissan Maxima that was worth less than $1500 (needed new brakes, rotors, calipers, and the front axle was in poor condition, loose ball joint, stuff like that), and it was dented up. So I'd say I paid about $3000-$3500 for it. But the problem is this car is extremely rare around here. There's one that is going for $3988 with I think 78000 km (50000 miles) and it won't run. It's a repo car and does not include registration. Here in vancouver, cars are much more expensive than elsewhere. There's also another one nearby for $8000 with 190000 km (118000 miles), but it's too far from where I live. There is one last one who is asking $5000 for his. He hasn't told me anything else about the car.

My point is that, while these cars are not worth very much, I will not be able to find another one with the money they might give me. To be honest I wouldn't accept anything less than $8000. Maybe that's extremely unreasonable, but I'll go to court before settling for less lol.
I think you've answered your own question. Rare does not equate with valuable. Something has to be rare and desirable to a lot of people to have value, and these cars just aren't desirable to very many.

Given Stryker's recent data point, I think gyrate is right on the money.

Brett

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG Kompressor
361 Posts
I have my cars on a collector insurance. My S600 is estimated Eur 14000. Not sure if you have something similar in the US, but an expert is evaluating the car every two years. It implies that's not you daily driver. I think I have seen similar assurance schemes in the UK. Oh, and there is no restriction on the yearly distance. We plan to drive from Paris to the Nordkapp

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
Similar to Mafl's experience, we use Chubb here in the US and they have the same protocol. All of my MB's classify as 'collector value' due to their rarity and since there are a few of them, they don't assess any one of them as the 'daily driver'. But each has an insured value of over $50k. And deservedly so. Keeping them in the condition the evaluator sees them is not cheap. I'm sure Mafl will agree.

·
Registered
W140
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh well legally they'll be required to give me the value not based on their findings, but the findings of a 3rd party. The same thing happened a few years ago with my honda accord, it was worth $900, total loss, they gave me $3500 for it. So I'm for sure getting more than $4000 for it (what I paid).

What you guys don't see is that it has nothing to do with the fact that it uses a lot of gas or has 12 cylinders, etc., but rather, they must pay me market value. I'm not selling the car. My insurance corporation is required to pay out a certain amount, and I was just wondering if you guys knew much about that. I'm not asking how much it's worth or what I should sell it for. Perhaps your guys' insurance companies are different. But unfortunately, my family has been in a lot of accidents (none of which were our fault) where the car was written off. We always have gotten more than what was expected.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes 600 Coupe & 1995 500 Coupe, 2004 Yamaha R1 200hp 360 pounds
1,146 Posts
just hope and pray your insurance estimator isnt reading these forums or all you will get is 3500 lol

·
Registered
W140
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just hope and pray your insurance estimator isnt reading these forums or all you will get is 3500 lol
Yeah that would suck lol. I agree that these cars have lost a lot of value over the years, but my insurance company won't screw me over. I'm sure I'll get at least what I paid for it. Anyways thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
W140
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I won't have a choice, unless I want to live with the damage on my car and get nothing for it. Options are 1. The other guy's policy pays for the damages, 2. If the damages exceed half the value of the car, then they give me, in cash, the value of the car, or 3. I drop the claim and get nothing.

I don't get to choose, I can only appeal to a third party once they've decided. And then take legal action.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
but my insurance company won't screw me over..
How did you conclude to that? Insurance is always screwing people over, but maybe you'll get over what you paid for it, if they offer you what you paid (which you should never tell them) tell them it isn't good enough.

·
Registered
W140
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How did you conclude to that? Insurance is always screwing people over, but maybe you'll get over what you paid for it, if they offer you what you paid (which you should never tell them) tell them it isn't good enough.
Yeah, my insurance company is screwing me over in another claim, so I guess I didn't word it right. I'm sure I'll get what I paid for it or a little more. At least I hope so. But sure enough, after all this, I won't. Either way, if they don't repair the car, I'll tell them it's not enough.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
Yeah, my insurance company is screwing me over in another claim, so I guess I didn't word it right. I'm sure I'll get what I paid for it or a little more. At least I hope so. But sure enough, after all this, I won't. Either way, if they don't repair the car, I'll tell them it's not enough.
Good luck because they might holdout for months, just to get another thousand or so...

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG Kompressor
361 Posts
Similar to Mafl's experience, we use Chubb here in the US and they have the same protocol. All of my MB's classify as 'collector value' due to their rarity and since there are a few of them, they don't assess any one of them as the 'daily driver'. But each has an insured value of over $50k. And deservedly so. Keeping them in the condition the evaluator sees them is not cheap. I'm sure Mafl will agree.
I very much agree. I think we observe W140's are virtually driven to death and collectors; the daily drivers maintained (if at all) at a shoe-string budget and cars which eventually will turn into collectors. I can only admire the work you have put in your car and the state it is in.

I personally don't plan to ever sell my my car, I just want to keep in pristine state as I think it's a piece of engineering art. For this I choose the right insurance protection (I actually got insured before I picked it up).

Sometimes it's easy to forget the initial price of these cars. While the value for a car in medium condition has fallen close to nothing, spare parts and labour are still the same, so almost any accident, even minor, is likely to be an insurance write-off.

Interesting enough, at least over here, pristine cars, even high priced, will sell almost immediatly, anything else will sit for years.

So for insurance it's like buying the car : check out carefully before buying and be prepared to pay a premium if you are attached.

If someone crashes my S600 I wouldn't grief if I can get 3000 or 6000, I just would be extremly sad

·
Registered
95 S320 - Polar white; 95 S600 - Black Pearl
294 Posts
So a few weeks ago, my car was in an accident and the car might be a total loss/write off (that's what the estimator told me). There is very little damage, the car is completely driveable, but I guess the cost of parts will exceed the value of the car?

Anyways, it's a 1992 600SEL with 152000 km (roughly 95000 miles), exterior in fairly good condition, interior in good condition, pulls hard, etc etc. Nothing really wrong with it. Some electric stuff is glitchy or doesn't work (e.g., head rest motors are off track, stuff like that), but that will have no bearing on the value of the car according to my insurance company. So it's good in that anything wrong with the car won't really be taken into consideration.

Anyways, I'm still waiting to hear from them, but what price range is it worth? I don't expect exact figures as prices will vary geographically, and I haven't given a whole lot of information. But if anyone could give me a rough price range ($3k-6k, $5k-8k?), it would be appreciated. I'll try to post pictures soon.
If you want to know what the insurance company will pay, go to your local Mercedes dealer and have them look up the wholesale price. There will be some variation in prices based on the vehicle's condition. (Excellent, good, fair, poor). Insurance companies have reams of sales data on almost every car ever built. They don't "screw" anyone. They just pay actual cash value. Have some repair receipts to show them. You'll move up one grade.

Good luck.

·
Registered
W140
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you want to know what the insurance company will pay, go to your local Mercedes dealer and have them look up the wholesale price. There will be some variation in prices based on the vehicle's condition. (Excellent, good, fair, poor). Insurance companies have reams of sales data on almost every car ever built. They don't "screw" anyone. They just pay actual cash value. Have some repair receipts to show them. You'll move up one grade.

Good luck.
Exactly what I was thinking; wanted to hear it from someone else. But I disagree with:

They don't "screw" anyone.
because yes, they do. I have been screwed before.

But I'll try to make a trip to the dealership and do that. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts