Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I was just trying to get the interior lights in the footwells working. Then I started finding wires that went nowhere. So I started pulling shit apart, and opened her up this week. The deeper I got, the more I found.

So after 3 days this is what I think I found still in the car, but not hooked up or working at all.

1 OEM car alarm, with 3 relays. 2 horns, 4 switches, a control box, and all of the wiring therein.

2 different old Blaupunkt radio boxes that were useless as tits on a Boar Hog. (looks like a power amp, and an antenna amp.)

And last but not least, the remnants of a long ago defunct car phone.

It screwed up, I hope they fix the mobile app, but I can't start a new thread, or post pictures to a new thread from my phone.

But once a thread is established, I can do all of those things.

But, it's all gone now, and the car is much happier and lighter for sure!

JetPaul

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So now I am on the mobile app, and I can finally post a picture.

There is about 200 feet of wire, 4 relays, 3 black boxes, and 2 different antenna co_ax cables.

UNBELIEVABLE AMOUNT OF LEFT OVER CRAP!

Good thing I am a certified aircraft avionics technician, or I would have been scared to cut the first wire, much less the 45th wire! Hahahaha!

My best friend was a digital multi-meter for the last 5 days!

And as a side note, all 3 interior lights now come on from the door switches as designed!

JetPaul

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, the beer can was one of MANY, but is included for scale of the mountain of wire and boxes!

JetPaul

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,352 Posts
Interest items you found in there. I doubt the alarm was OE. AFAIK (and I have checked) no 107s came from the factory with alarms before the 1986 model year.

My finds and previous owners additions.

1986 560SL: Not much. Just a 80s brand radar detector. Professional install and fairly simple to remove.

1984 500SL: Alarm system. All kinds of wires and relays spliced in that I hesitate to remove until I know what they do and can trace the original configuration. Radio is original Becker but it looks like there was an aftermarket at one time because the wiring has been tampered with.

1984 280SL: Some kind of aftermarket air/fuel management system. Relays, a temp. sensor, switch and electronic box. I unplugged the box and the relays. It made no noticeable difference in performance.
Aftermarket Blaupunkt radio that does not work.
Some kind of rigged wiring to a switch for the climate control system. The connector to the switch is missing. The wires have been cut and crimped together then individually plugged into the switch.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,523 Posts
2 cents. - 2c pieces were discontinued many years ago.
Enough talc powder to last a while. An old car alarm and phone bits.
Sundry unrecognizable electrical bits plus an old spark plug lead (totally disconnected) down under the coil.

·
Registered
'87 560SL / '00 Celica GT-S / '92 Volvo 960 / '70 F-100
324 Posts
So far...
- McDonald's receipt from 2 or 3 POs ago (2009)
- Business card from a place in Philadelphia that 2 or 3 POs ago used to use
- Two mystery wires... they look like speaker wire and 15 years old or newer, but who knows.
- 1 BIOS battery, lurking in the shifter area. Haven't been able to fish it out yet.

I'm lucky I guess, since the wiring is almost completely unmolested and everything works as it should but the cruise control.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts